Player Watch #15 Sam Wicks

20200705_wicks_hero.jpg

Sam Wicks

Sam Wicks is a small forward with tidy skills below his knees and an outstanding awareness around goal. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product was rookie-listed in November 2018 and was a consistent stand-out for the Sydney Swans’ NEAFL side in 2019. He became Sydney's fifth debutant of season 2020 when he was named to face Collingwood in Round 10, before finishing the season with seven appearances to his name. Wicks heads into 2021 fighting names like Tom Papley, Ben Ronke, Lewis Taylor and Sam Gray for a spot in Sydney’s best 22.

Sam Wicks
DOB: 14 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2018 Other
RECRUITED FROM: Manly-Warringah (NSW)/Sydney (NEAFL)

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
A very checkered pathway to finally get on our afl list as rookie but very deserved. If I recall he was amongst our best in the academy of his year but due to selection bias missed allies selection and likewise missed drafting. A little older and part of our neafl development squad his selection is a reward for his perseverance and consistency. Congratulations to Sam....now the hard work begins to persevere even more.

Awesome stuff. Congrats to Wicksy. His hard work & dedication will pay off if he keeps pushing hard & making the right choices (Brett Kirk says gday :p).

I know a few on the board who will be following him a little more closely & wish him nothing but success (myself included).

On ya Wicksy! Rip in mate. :thumbsu:

Sam WICKS

2018 NEAFL
Totals

• 13 games
  • 11 goals
  • 12 behinds
  • 1 time in best players list

Averages
  • 8.8 kicks
  • 6.5 handballs
  • 15.3 disposals
  • 3.1 marks
  • 3.9 tackles
  • 0.4 frees for
  • 0.6 frees against
  • 0.8 clearances
  • 3.0 inside 50s
  • 0.9 rebound 50s
  • 68.85 DT points

2017 NEAFL
Totals

• 11 games
  • 14 goals
  • 12 behinds
  • 1 time in best players list

Averages
  • 7.8 kicks
  • 5.7 handballs
  • 13.6 disposals
  • 2.6 marks
  • 3.5 tackles
  • 0.6 frees for
  • 0.6 frees against
  • 0.9 clearances
  • 1.8 inside 50s
  • 0.5 rebound 50s
  • 64.00 DT points

If he keeps that up he will surely see senior football before the year is out!

Thought he began the year quietly. His recent form has been great with improved levels seemingly reached each week

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Thought he began the year quietly. His recent form has been great with improved levels seemingly reached each week

Due to injuries and others going to seniors he has been able to get some significant midfield minutes and he is showing he is more than a one trick pony. Coaches would be delighted with his progress.

One can now understand why we moved on players such as Marsh, Foote, Newman, AJ, etc, etc, with players like Wicks running around quietly developing their games.

plus Rohan and Hanners.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I have to disagree. I reckon he’s only had one ‘down’ game (and I don’t think it was a bad one at that) from memory but yesterday’s game was a cracker!

I have to disagree. I reckon he’s only had one ‘down’ game (and I don’t think it was a bad one at that) from memory but yesterday’s game was a cracker!

Could be right. Don't know. I'm just relying on memory of the first two NEAFL rounds where I thought he was quiet. Agree yesterday's game was 'a cracker'.

We all love a draft bargain, his numbers are showing he can find the footy and a good user too. Looks to have a future on what he's now producing at NEAFL level, yesterday against some serious draft picks on the GWS side.

Back