Player Watch #15 Sam Wicks

Remove this Banner Ad

20200705_wicks_hero.jpg

Sam Wicks

Sam Wicks is a small forward with tidy skills below his knees and an outstanding awareness around goal. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product was rookie-listed in November 2018 and was a consistent stand-out for the Sydney Swans’ NEAFL side in 2019. He became Sydney's fifth debutant of season 2020 when he was named to face Collingwood in Round 10, before finishing the season with seven appearances to his name. Wicks heads into 2021 fighting names like Tom Papley, Ben Ronke, Lewis Taylor and Sam Gray for a spot in Sydney’s best 22.

Sam Wicks
DOB: 14 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2018 Other
RECRUITED FROM: Manly-Warringah (NSW)/Sydney (NEAFL)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enjoy your debut Sam :)

“It is great to be able to bring another local boy into the team as it is really important for us to be able to foster that local talent,” Longmire said.
“Sam is a young player who came through the QBE Sydney Swans Academy system and will put some pressure on as a small forward.
“It is really exciting for him and we will just be looking for him to put pressure on in our front half.”

LRT is his manager :D

“I am super excited for the opportunity and just can’t wait to get out there with the boys,” Wicks said.
“The reason I am in the team is to bring my pressure and tackling, so I will be doing my best to bring that as much as I can.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope he gets another chance at some point in the season. Did some nice things.

For our first goal of the match. He crumbed the ball and kicked the ball towards Thurlow in the goal square.

For Papley's goal in the 2nd quarter. He pressured two Collingwood defenders to cause the loose ball and then shepherded for Papley.

Liked his game a lot. Instantly provided more than Gray or Taylor have been. Powerful running, manic pressure, cracking tackles and some clever ball use in the forward line to kick a goal and set up another. Loved it and want to see a lot more of him.

Last edited:
Is there anything better than a debutant coming in and just doing everything asked/expected of him?

Tough, clean, determined. You love to see it.

That’s what my first girlfriend said about me after our first time together

Remove this Banner Ad

Back