Player Watch #15 Sam Wicks

20200705_wicks_hero.jpg

Sam Wicks

Sam Wicks is a small forward with tidy skills below his knees and an outstanding awareness around goal. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product was rookie-listed in November 2018 and was a consistent stand-out for the Sydney Swans’ NEAFL side in 2019. He became Sydney's fifth debutant of season 2020 when he was named to face Collingwood in Round 10, before finishing the season with seven appearances to his name. Wicks heads into 2021 fighting names like Tom Papley, Ben Ronke, Lewis Taylor and Sam Gray for a spot in Sydney’s best 22.

Sam Wicks
DOB: 14 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2018 Other
RECRUITED FROM: Manly-Warringah (NSW)/Sydney (NEAFL)

Should've debuted earlier instead of Warner and trying guys like Gray and Taylor for so long. Wicks wasn't some raw kid. He'd plied his trade at reserves level for a long time, and like Ling, it's amazing what not being a premature teenager can do for a debutant's composure at senior level.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Should've debuted earlier instead of Warner and trying guys like Gray and Taylor for so long. Wicks wasn't some raw kid. He'd plied his trade at reserves level for a long time, and like Ling, it's amazing what not being a premature teenager can do for a debutant's composure at senior level.
maybe the coaches / selectors thought he was a premature teenager up until now?
but Caesar always knows best

Another QBE Sydney Swans Academy product, Sam Wicks, has been elevated to a Category A rookie after making his senior debut in the red and white in 2020, playing seven games.

Sam's post game interview

Absolutely love that we have this kid in the team. Feels even more special given how hard he's had to work for it. Not taken in his U18s year. Then not taken in the national draft in his U19s year. Not even taken in the main rookie draft. Finally taken as a Cat B rookie. Spot on the list never assured. Goes out in the NEAFL and is our best performing kid behind Rowbottom, but has to watch as McInerney debuts before him, Rowbottom debuts before him, Bell debuts before him, McLean debuts before him. Sticks at it and a year later earns his debut. Shows promising signs but is squeezed out towards the end of the year. Goes into the pre-season of 2021 not even sure he will be given another contract. Wrestles his way into the preferred team over pre-season, cements his spot in the best 22 for round 1, and is starring on the MCG in our best win in years by round 3.

Total perseverence, commitment and reward for effort.

Inject this s**t into my god damn veins.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I remember how annoyed I was that this kid was omitted from the allies team despite being MVP in the northern states competition used as selection. Politics favouring Vic states known choices via GWS. That's right the MVP was excluded from a 50 player selection to display his talent in the Under 18 national championship. From that moment he was denied traditional pathways via draft and instead picked as Cat B as overaged following year if I recall. Now he is entrenched first 22. Wow. What an utter star that he worked his way to success. Even the mere fact he is 3 months too late to be eligible for rising star seems an injustice given the circumstances. He epitomizes the ethos of being a true blood. Congratulations young man your dream is realized. It seems to me that the post goal celebrations always seem to carry a bit more venom because it comes from that fight. Now we get to sit back and savour your achievements and everytime you goal pride will well in me that you fought the unwinnable fight and won.

Last edited:
Back