Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-18/government-abolishing-457-visas/8450310

The Federal Government will abolish the 457 visa and replace it with two new visas, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull says.

Opinions? They definitely needed a new system, The negativity attached to 457 was too hard to wash

Cautiously optimistic, However I haven't seen any detail and if the government doesn't do anything for education and training this will just be just a new band aid over a huge problem in terms of job training in Australia in terms of encouraging businesses to train skilled young Australians

Doesn't help some of the decisions made 15-20 years ago have created a lot of skill shortages.

Yeah, I call bullshit. Watch out for the LNP to bring in foreign workers under a different policy. Nothing will change. Just looking for another crap excuse to bring in cheap labour from overseas at the detriment of Australian jobs. Got to look after our donors hey Malcolm?

Yeah, I call bullshit. Watch out for the LNP to bring in foreign workers under a different policy. Nothing will change. Just looking for another crap excuse to bring in cheap labour from overseas at the detriment of Australian jobs. Got to look after our donors hey Malcolm?
Will be interesting to see what happens with their new policy. I think both parties were slow to act, as i heard on the radio that labor/shorten brought it more 457's in their term.

Given the well-known abuse of these visas by unscrupulous employers, this seems a good political move, but what visas will the LNP replace them with? Probably nothing too different.

Bingo. Changes are meaningless deleting various occupations for which 457s were rarely if ever issued.

Sham.

Malcolm Turnbull's visa changes would affect just 8 per cent of current 457 holders

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...t-of-current-457-holders-20170418-gvnfer.html

Seems the LNP are full of hypocrites. But then again, when your nuts by held by the far right of the party.....

tweet.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The radio has been interesting today with various chairmen of commerce groups talking about how hard done by they will be if they can't get at overseas workers, I love hearing all the groups shake out and plead their case - it is very interesting when you a as cynical as I am.

I wonder why there can't be a registry attached to the work for the dole system or newstart, if a job is in your area currently occupied by a 457 visa holder - you get that job.

At least then the debate will turn from "they took our jobs" to "why don't they work as hard as the imported workers" or whatever the next line the chairman of the chamber of wealth and slavery comes up with.

The radio has been interesting today with various chairmen of commerce groups talking about how hard done by they will be if they can't get at overseas workers, I love hearing all the groups shake out and plead their case - it is very interesting when you a as cynical as I am.

I wonder why there can't be a registry attached to the work for the dole system or newstart, if a job is in your area currently occupied by a 457 visa holder - you get that job.

At least then the debate will turn from "they took our jobs" to "why don't they work as hard as the imported workers" or whatever the next line the chairman of the chamber of wealth and slavery comes up with.
I don't have a major concern with the 457 visa program as in some areas there are genuine skill shortages but what I would like to see is some sort of training/apprenticeship program for the young to be trained alongside those skills that we are short of.

I don't have a major concern with the 457 visa program as in some areas there are genuine skill shortages but what I would like to see is some sort of training/apprenticeship program for the young to be trained alongside those skills that we are short of.

We used to have Technical Colleges and Public Utilities that did those things.

But no, we can't have that, everyone needs to have a useless Arts degree.

Maybe along with the 457 reform we could move on a few hundred thousand Kiwis too.

You would be more rigid in your views if you could tour the IT departments of major corps around town. The body shops fly 457 holders in for basic support roles amongst other things.

For every white* petroleum engineer they trot out for the camera there would be 100 shitty wintel admins from India being used to drive down wages.

*not trying to be racist but every article has an example 457 holder that is whiter than sour cream for a reason. You are being manipulated.

You would be more rigid in your views if you could tour the IT departments of major corps around town. The body shops fly 457 holders in for basic support roles amongst other things.

For every white* petroleum engineer they trot out for the camera there would be 100 shitty wintel admins from India being used to drive down wages.

*not trying to be racist but every article has an example 457 holder that is whiter than sour cream for a reason. You are being manipulated.

It looks like you are racist towards "whites" Nothing worse than a self loathing "white" apologist.

Why aren't doctors and nurses going to work in country areas, or why do abbatoirs have difficulty in finding workers?
It's not all about IT and Engineers.
Can understand if you mention hairdressers, cooks, beauty salon managers and such and can agree that those areas are more than dubious.
Think that market testing should be stronger and genuine shortages exist also stricter rules, system has been dubious for some time.
Labor introduced stricter rules in November 2013 but the Liberals reversed and now they are crying foul.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back