Player Watch #46: Ben Miller

Remove this Banner Ad

Now put yourself in Astbury & Houlis's shoes

Would you retire with a year left in the tank and currently best 22 in your position ?

I wouldnt
Guess that's our unknown. We dunno how much left they've got in the tank.

Theyd make good depth while the kids develop if they were to play on and not guaranteed games. But I'd hope they take a pay cut

Guess that's our unknown. We dunno how much left they've got in the tank.

Theyd make good depth while the kids develop if they were to play on and not guaranteed games. But I'd hope they take a pay cut
Jack Riewoldt is a good guide as to pay

He said he was very well looked after by the club and time to give back and take a significant hair cut , I would say Houli would already have done so as money is not his issue and its all about developing kids and contributing.
Would not surprise me to see players taking
Jack $400k
Houli $250k -$300
Astbury $250-$300
Edwards $400k
Cotchin $400k

after their contracts are finished and in their last years

Astbury has done two or three unastbury things in the past month... nothing to get too carried away about....he ain't Robinson Crusoe there.
Yeah midfield coming back in will slow down the ball movement coming his way so got no doubt that will help him but he’s looking very slow and timid

if he plays a poor one vs crows, get the new blood in Miller in

Jack Riewoldt is a good guide as to pay

He said he was very well looked after by the club and time to give back and take a significant hair cut , I would say Houli would already have done so as money is not his issue and its all about developing kids and contributing.
Would not surprise me to see players taking
Jack $400k
Houli $250k -$300
Astbury $250-$300
Edwards $400k
Cotchin $400k

after their contracts are finished and in their last years
$250k a year looks like bugger all when you're used to talking figures close to a mil with these players but I'd give my left nut to be on that sort of coin.

$250k a year looks like bugger all when you're used to talking figures close to a mil with these players but I'd give my left nut to be on that sort of coin.
These players have been paid very good money in the past and know the days are ending and the bigger $$$ are no longer available and reality is that in the real world its still very good money and they get a year extra earning.

They also realise the club needs to pay the next generation as they were paid when they were younger. The end is near and play the last year for the Club that has looked after you is pretty much what will be sold

Now put yourself in Astbury & Houlis's shoes

Would you retire with a year left in the tank and currently best 22 in your position ?

I wouldnt
Are they really locks for the best 22 over the next 18 months? Both have shown some worrying signs in the last month, looking slow, not as sure handed as they have been and neither having a big impact in games. If we remain mid table for the rest of the season could very quickly get replaced by younger options who have a chance at a career

Are they really locks for the best 22 over the next 18 months? Both have shown some worrying signs in the last month, looking slow, not as sure handed as they have been and neither having a big impact in games. If we remain mid table for the rest of the season could very quickly get replaced by younger options who have a chance at a career
Well they are until a better player takes their spots

Whilst at the same time providing leadership depth and experience to a young team , With the soft cap limitations also dont under estimate the value these guys are providing with support to the coaching staff

Well they are until a better player takes their spots

Whilst at the same time providing leadership depth and experience to a young team , With the soft cap limitations also dont under estimate the value these guys are providing with support to the coaching staff
Not underestimating anything in terms of what they bring leadership/experience wise, but I'd suggest both are in the bottom 6 of the 22 in terms of their importance to the team moving forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hes ready to take the next step according to the club but they can not pick him when we lose an actual Kpd in Astbury.

Hes ready to take the next step according to the club but they can not pick him when we lose an actual Kpd in Astbury.
True. But as someone pointed out earlier, he's only 21. Feels like he's been on the list for longer than that. Guess it's because we haven't seen him. Those two pictures from when he 1st arrived to now are at least showing he"s down the physical side of things. Need a regular VFL watcher to bring some clues. You would have thought finally this week was the one though!!

Some fun facts about Ben Miller that most people wouldn't know

* Taller than most expect 198cm
* Faster than most expect Ben Miller - 2.91 , Jack Petruccelle - 2.87 , Jaidyn Stephenson - 2.95 , Aiden Bonar - 2.90
* Draft Combine goal kicking test 30/30
* Draft Combine agility test 2nd Ben Miller - 8.10
* Still only 21 years old

From the noises coming out from the club and watchers at VFL games and training he has really improved and ready to take the next step
The 198cm surprised me. Some places have him as 195. (Bigoa same. Went from 195 to 197 on the club site )

The 198cm surprised me. Some places have him as 195. (Bigoa same. Went from 195 to 197 on the club site )
He is a very good size for a KPD and the speed agility
The ideal prototype if you were to wish for one.

Just his ability to have the smarts is the issue . Does he have that at AFL level
drafted in the same draft as Balta & CCJ

Bigoa Nyuon
197cm 92kgs ( been mentioned he is now 200cm)
Elite speed
20 years old

Ben Miller
198cm 96kgs
Elite speed
21 years old

Noah Balta
194cm 102kgs (personally i think he is taller, Cant believe only 1cm between Balta and Grimes)
Elite Speed
21 years old

If these boys all come good our KPD stocks look good and if we do actually recruit Blake Schlensog you would have to think its curtains for garthwaite

Most kids with tall genes keep growing after 18. Drafted at 195-6cm, normal you'd think to grow another couple of cm's in 4 years.
Well that height and mobility is a great combo. Looks like he's developing his footy skills/smarts too. I definitely want to retain him on the list. Be a bonus if he could get a senior game.

He is a very good size for a KPD and the speed agility
The ideal prototype if you were to wish for one.

Just his ability to have the smarts is the issue . Does he have that at AFL level
drafted in the same draft as Balta & CCJ

Bigoa Nyuon
197cm 92kgs ( been mentioned he is now 200cm)
Elite speed
20 years old

Ben Miller
198cm 96kgs
Elite speed
21 years old

Noah Balta
194cm 102kgs (personally i think he is taller, Cant believe only 1cm between Balta and Grimes)
Elite Speed
21 years old

If these boys all come good our KPD stocks look good and if we do actually recruit Blake Schlensog you would have to think its curtains for garthwaite
Garthwaite is 'just' a VFL player imo.

Just tell your boss.
Pies will pay 2/3rds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back