Player Watch #46: Ben Miller

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 27, 2014
Abandoned toilets at Coburg Footy ground
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Had appendicitis, came back for one game I think and then we've heard nothing. Hope the kid is OK!
Thanks for that PA and yeah I hope the kids ok as appendicitis is not a laughing matter.
I have high hopes on the young lad as he can take a grab and throw his weight around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meteoric Rise

Club Legend
Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
OK, time to bump this guy.

He is a square peg who doesn’t necessarily fit neatly into round holes. But Big Ivan Maric said in Coach’s Corner that he is training really well, and quoted Tom Lynch as saying he has been really hard to play on.

The club has thrown him in the ruck in the last scratch match and it seems he went well, though well undersized. He was drafted at 196cm and worryingly has lost 1cm since arriving at Tigerland, must have had blisters on his feet in his draft year, or a lump on his head!

We know he can really sprint, and is a very good kick, so he has a bit going for him. Drafted with Balta and Coleman-Jones thus end of third year in the system now, a time when most tall players start to come good.

We have lost a ruckman and a key forward this week. Really, Chol can replace only one of those. Does Miller get thrown in to replace the other? So perhaps Mabior Choleman key forward, and Miller second ruck, with some time in defence?

In any event these recent reports bode well for a player many of us had just about written off as a delist at the end of 2020. If Lynch has been finding him tough to play on then he can also perhaps go into the key defensive mix behind Astbury and Balta next season if we require cover there.

A huge bonus if this bloke can start getting it done.

Last edited:

mauricerioli

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
OK, time to bump this guy.

He is a square peg who doesn’t necessarily fit neatly into round holes. But Big Ivan Maric said in Coach’s Corner that he is training really well, and quoted Tom Lynch as saying he has been really hard to play on.

The club has thrown him in the ruck in the last scratch match and it seems he went well, though well undersized. He was drafted at 196cm and worryingly has lost 1cm since arriving at Tigerland, must have had blisters on his feet in his draft year, or a lump on his head!

We know he can really sprint, and is a very good kick, so he has a bit going for him. Drafted with Balta and Coleman-Jones thus end of third year in the system now, a time when most tall players start to come good.

We have lost a ruckman and a key forward this week. Really, Chol can replace only one of those. Does Miller get thrown in to replace the other? So perhaps Mabior Choleman key forward, and Miller second ruck, with some time in defence?

In any event these recent reports bode well for a player many of us had just about written off as a delist at the end of 2020. If Lynch has been finding him tough to play on then he can also perhaps go into the key defensive mix behind Astbury and Balta next season if we require cover there.

A huge bomnus if this bloke can start getting it done.
He trained with the senior backline group yesterday, so he might be an outside chance to play this week, or at least he's moved up the pecking order due to CCJ and Soldo being unavailable.

fargothegreat

Balta makes me jizz
Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
He trained with the senior backline group yesterday, so he might be an outside chance to play this week, or at least he's moved up the pecking order due to CCJ and Soldo being unavailable.
Was an emergency last week. He's definitely gone up in my rankings. Not on the scrap heap like I thought he would be.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Was an emergency last week. He's definitely gone up in my rankings. Not on the scrap heap like I thought he would be.
Agree, I thought he’d be the first to go but now thinking he’ll stay.
Of note is this year was his first full preseason since arriving.
Maybe he’s had his excuses for underperforming. No doubt the club will be aware of that and take it into consideration.

Not going to put 3 years development into someone and then suddenly cut them loose, if you rate them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dr Tigris

Premium Platinum
Aug 19, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
I hope we keep him on for another 12 months. Has high athletic ability as well. In the old days players used to spend 3 or 4 years playing reserves footy before debut in senior footy. Theres plenty of development left in Ben. Our supporters shouldnt rush to write off our players which happens alot in this forum.
The club thinks he is a good one. back last few weeks. Given leadership role in the VFL backline. No chance to show what he's got this year though.

I suspect he could be at least a decent back up for AFL KPF and/or KPB. He'd be god to keep for another year at least. But this year is weird. Good luck to him

Aug 24, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I hope we keep him on for another 12 months. Has high athletic ability as well. In the old days players used to spend 3 or 4 years playing reserves footy before debut in senior footy. Theres plenty of development left in Ben. Our supporters shouldnt rush to write off our players which happens alot in this forum.
Noticed he was an emergency again yesterday
Must be very close to a call up

Top Bottom