Player Watch #46: Ben Miller

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers draft ‘elite’ Miller
Neil WatkinsonMonday, 27 November 2017 3:25PM
1511756747648_GDJ1BI52M.3-1.jpg

Newly selected Richmond Tiger Ben Miller, centre, with his brother Jacob, mother, Leanne, and father, David, at their Lamington home on Friday last week.Picture: Neil Watkinson / Kalgoorlie Miner
Ben Miller starts pre-season football training this morning with AFL premiers Richmond at the club’s Punt Road base in central Melbourne.

There was no time to waste after the Tigers selected the Kalgoorlie-Boulder 18-year-old with pick No.63 of the AFL National Draft on Friday last week.

Club officials were immediately on the phone to Miller, and they told the Railways Football Club and Subiaco ruckman-forward he was booked on a flight to Melbourne yesterday.

Miller watched the draft at his Lamington home with several other family members and his girlfriend, Finlay McMillan.
When the Kalgoorlie Miner visited them on Friday night, there was still a feeling among everyone of “is this really happening?”.

The man of the moment said: “Words can’t really describe how I feel right now.”
He said he was delighted Richmond had picked him.
“They are a great club,” he said.
“I can’t wait.”

Miller paid tribute to the support his mother, Leanne, and father, David, had given him.
“Dad taught me how to kick the football,” he said.
Mr Miller said his son’s AFL selection had left him “over the moon”.
Mrs Miller simply said she was “thrilled to bits”.

More here
https://thewest.com.au/news/kalgoorlie-miner/tigers-draft-elite-miller-ng-b88671755z

From Footy Prophet:

BEN MILLER | SUBIACO | RUCK-FORWARD | 196CM | 98KG

2017 AFL U18s: 4 Games/Ave. 11P, 18HOs, 4T, 2M, 2I50s

2017 WAFL Colts: 9 Games/7 Goals/Ave. 14P, 21HOs, 4M, 2T

If there was an MVP for the National Combine, Miller would have been a contender for it. He won the goalkicking test with 30 out of 30, the agility test (8.10 seconds) and finished 3rd in the 20m sprint (2.91 seconds). When in full flight, the Kalgoorlie product is incredibly hard to stop as he outmuscles his opponents to win hit-outs and take contested marks, but he is also very good at the ground level. This was evident in his performance against Vic Metro when he accumulated 15 possessions, won 28 hit-outs, laid five tackles, won three clearances and kicked a goal, while his direct opponent Sam Hayes finished with 17 possessions and 12 hit-outs. For a key position player, Miller is incredibly quick, his skills are neat, his athleticism is something to be admired and his desire to pressure the opposition is elite.

I reckon the physicality and 'pressure' of Kalgoorlie footy would put him in good stead for the AFL. Unlike most draftees he'd be quite used to the hits and niggle.

Reckon he sounds like a good one. And in the post draft vid they talked about his family being fantastic and so obviously had really had a look at his background to see how he'd take the adjustment to AFL.

And if he keeps growing we might have the package, size, athleticism, skills, attitude and grunt. Like this one a lot

I reckon the physicality and 'pressure' of Kalgoorlie footy would put him in good stead for the AFL. Unlike most draftees he'd be quite used to the hits and niggle.

Reckon he sounds like a good one. And in the post draft vid they talked about his family being fantastic and so obviously had really had a look at his background to see how he'd take the adjustment to AFL.

And if he keeps growing we might have the package, size, athleticism, skills, attitude and grunt. Like this one a lot
What is this obsession with height. We need a forward not a ruck man. Name one 200cm forward who is any good once the ball hits the ground. And at 196cm, you are big enough to mark the ball. Stop growing I'd tell the lad.

What is this obsession with height. We need a forward not a ruck man. Name one 200cm forward who is any good once the ball hits the ground. And at 196cm, you are big enough to mark the ball. Stop growing I'd tell the lad.

No obsession. But if he is bigger and retains that athleticism then good for us I say .. oh, yeah, and him too.

The AFL tends to put players over 200cm into the unco box. Basketball puts them in the not unco if they are any good box. I'm hoping he is both tall, coordinated and can play. That's all.

No obsession. But if he is bigger and retains that athleticism then good for us I say .. oh, yeah, and him too.

The AFL tends to put players over 200cm into the unco box. Basketball puts them in the not unco if they are any good box. I'm hoping he is both tall, coordinated and can play. That's all.

Still basketball is a different game which favours taller players because the basket rim is high in the air.

The main thing its not too big an issue if his extra height does not compromise his ground level play including defensively.

I think he has a reasonable leap as well so I am not sure if any extra height will be that much beneficial to him at the margin because he is competing with smaller types already except for possibly the tuck contest.

But looking at him move he looks a less agile/mobile or possibly lateral than say Balta possibly despite what tests might lend one to believe so while I might put Balta on a wing I might also leave Miller to rotate between FF and ruck initially were his extra height is not too much of a compromise because he is supported by JR and more nimble types like Townsend, Caddy and Dusty apart from our fleet of small forwards. This initial key post orientation may mean he may be able to shift to a CHF or even CHB/FB with further experience an development we the club and player finds out more about each other.

We know he is quick but he seems like he has reasonable straight line speed from the vision which suits leading as a leading forward which would complement JR who is more your smarts forward with multiple leads etc.. I am not sure Miller would have the dexterity or nimbleness of someone like Rance to be a very strong defender. I guess it would depend on which players Miller played on in defense and the opposition forward set-up

Last edited:
Still basketball is a different game which favours taller players because the basket rim is high in the air.

The main thing its not too big an issue if his extra height does not compromise his ground level play including defensively.

I think he has a reasonable leap as well so I am not sure if any extra height will be that much beneficial to him at the margin because he is competing with smaller types already except for possibly the tuck contest.

But looking at him move he looks a less agile/mobile or possibly lateral than say Balta possibly despite what tests might lend one to believe so while I might put Balta on a wing I might also leave Miller to rotate between FF and ruck initially were his extra height is not too much of a compromise because he is supported by JR and more nimble types like Townsend, Caddy and Dusty apart from our fleet of small forwards. This initial key post orientation may mean he may be able to shift to a CHF or even CHB/FB with further experience an development we the club and player finds out more about each other.

No idea. I just want that quality player with a junk pick. I like that he is tall (we lack talls right now - well before the draft), is athletic, has good skills and likes to hit in hard. Sounds good to me, and his family is nice. The world is :rainbow:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a player that really could be anything to

He seems tough and determined and has a good 20 metre sprint as well as goal kicking.

He said he has a good running leap to which is interesting. Do not know what he scored for the leaps in the combine.

Have to think maybe FF, CHF, CHB over time rotating in the ruck if good enough.

He is a real hail mary coming from nearly the black stump so the sky is the limit!!!

18 teams...... so do your maths..... divide 63 by 18....s**t not bad.......good pick up!

He's the 3.5th best player in the draft!!!!!!! :eek::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::rainbow::rainbow:

to be vaguely sensible and serious (best I can do)
I expect that he has many rough edges. From Kal, training hasn't been full on like most other draftees, and is going on natural talent. So he is one of those more likely to bust than boom late pick types.

Except that he has 1) a great background and attitude (by what the club says), and 2) he's played with rough nuts for years so isn't a shrinking violet and can take some punishment and in your face verbals. Many of your long shots fail because they can't take the hardness of the environment. It'll be more the discipline than anything else that hold him back. If he can focus and deal with the strictness of the workload then I reckon he is probably fairly low risk.

Gees he's a unit!! when I saw the photo of the 5 of them I assumed Miller was Coleman-Jones.
2.91 for 20 metres at that size. yakes!

Well worth the risk with Pick 63.

Welcome aboard Ben.

Curious to whether we see him as a ruck? Especially given he is 196. Maybe we think we can play him as a KPP and then he pitches in every now and then..
This one I’ve got no idea about

Nank is 199 com

Our second ruck Grigg is 188... And our 3rd ruck in the GF Dan Rioli 180cm
reckon Miller will equip himself very well given his bag of tricks ( tackle, pace, agility, leap)... - as you say will pinch hit but play a more midfield and floating KP role

Remove this Banner Ad

Back