Player Watch #46: Ben Miller

Remove this Banner Ad

A while ago I would have said nooo way , now I’m not so sure. He’s contracted , reckon clubs would enquire seeing him as useful sec ruck . With soldo down we gotta be careful too unless the opinion of miller is higher than we all know
After saturday not even North will touch Chol

OK, time to bump this guy.

He is a square peg who doesn’t necessarily fit neatly into round holes. But Big Ivan Maric said in Coach’s Corner that he is training really well, and quoted Tom Lynch as saying he has been really hard to play on.

The club has thrown him in the ruck in the last scratch match and it seems he went well, though well undersized. He was drafted at 196cm and worryingly has lost 1cm since arriving at Tigerland, must have had blisters on his feet in his draft year, or a lump on his head!

We know he can really sprint, and is a very good kick, so he has a bit going for him. Drafted with Balta and Coleman-Jones thus end of third year in the system now, a time when most tall players start to come good.

We have lost a ruckman and a key forward this week. Really, Chol can replace only one of those. Does Miller get thrown in to replace the other? So perhaps Mabior Choleman key forward, and Miller second ruck, with some time in defence?

In any event these recent reports bode well for a player many of us had just about written off as a delist at the end of 2020. If Lynch has been finding him tough to play on then he can also perhaps go into the key defensive mix behind Astbury and Balta next season if we require cover there.

A huge bonus if this bloke can start getting it done.

Looks a really nice size now.

Can play at either end, although not given much opportunity forward, looked good when played there.
Seems like he is ready to go replacement, and still only 21 years old.
Has speed, a great asset these days.
At the AFL National Combine, he came first in the Goalkicking test (30/30), the Agility test (8.10 seconds), and came third in the 20-metre sprint (2.91 seconds).

I hope he does what he needs to do to get an opportunity. Big guys take time but they also need a taste. Sometimes they just click in the bigtime

The corona thing has been really harsh on RCD. Miller. Types from a development perspective. Maybe they get a cleaner run at it this season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can play at either end, although not given much opportunity forward, looked good when played there.
At the AFL National Combine, he came first in the Goalkicking test (30/30), the Agility test (8.10 seconds), and came third in the 20-metre sprint (2.91 seconds).

He came in all potential, and has taken a while to show anything. Then he got to play pretend games all 2020. Hope he can use his tools. Great size, athleticism and skills. If he can fill a KP role that would be huge for our depth.

Dave Astbury turns 30 tomorrow and until 4-5 years ago most wanted him gone and / or wouldnt have cared if he left but things change and players develop at different stages. Ben Miller is just a 21 year old baby for a KPP and has size height speed and agility.

Needs to be given a good chance to make it and if he does become the Astbury replacement what a win

Dave Astbury turns 30 tomorrow and until 4-5 years ago most wanted him gone and / or wouldnt have cared if he left but things change and players develop at different stages. Ben Miller is just a 21 year old baby for a KPP and has size height speed and agility.

Needs to be given a good chance to make it and if he does become the Astbury replacement what a win
Until 4-5 years ago Astbury couldn't get on the park due to injuries. Bit like Grimes. Sort of irrelevant now though, as he is so reliable and steady and nobody kicks goals on him. But I agree Miller needs some games, but with the VFL back he will at least get some footy into him at a decent level and at some stage this season will get some games you'd think.

I was one of them. I didn't rate him at all but more than happy to eat humble pie. Has turned into one of the best key defenders in the comp.

Until 4-5 years ago Astbury couldn't get on the park due to injuries. Bit like Grimes. Sort of irrelevant now though, as he is so reliable and steady and nobody kicks goals on him. But I agree Miller needs some games, but with the VFL back he will at least get some footy into him at a decent level and at some stage this season will get some games you'd think.

Always thought he was good. But B grade and with dodgy knees. I was wrong as well, he's better than B grade.

Was always puzzled Miller avoided the end of year chop year after year even though he seems to always be an afterthought tacked on to the end of post game summaries, usually given a 'continues to work on his defensive craft' style appraisal - where those delisted have often been given massive wraps by Clarke. They obviously have long term plans for him and have been happy for him to slowly come along.

Serious question, can anyone ever remember him having more than 2 goals kicked on him, I cant.
Get's beaten one-on-one a handful of times a season.

I'd have to really check, can't think of him being torn apart -> final against the Pies when he was sick. Over the last few years he's been so good. Never in AA contention, but I wonder how many better KPDs there are in the game.

Personally i thought Miller would be delisted but rookie listed to give him and Richmond another 1-2 years to see how he developed.
Thing is he had nowhere to show his wares last year and to delist a bloke with his height and speed and the fact that he was training well, might be a bit premature. Turner and English were unlucky, but we have plenty of those types. We even brought over from WA preseason that ex magpie (name escapes me), who is a similar type to Miller, but the Saints swooped and picked him up at the last minute. So they see tall backs as an obvious weakness in our list.

I think Miller's best chance will playing 3rd tall fwd/back up ruck. I feel that Balta will go back. And until Astbury retires they play Balta as the 2nd tall KPD. When Dave goes Broad will probably get a full go at the senior side.
Unless they change tall fwd selection philosophy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back