Player Watch #46: Ben Miller

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Was always puzzled Miller avoided the end of year chop year after year even though he seems to always be an afterthought tacked on to the end of post game summaries, usually given a 'continues to work on his defensive craft' style appraisal - where those delisted have often been given massive wraps by Clarke. They obviously have long term plans for him and have been happy for him to slowly come along.
Be interesting to see what they do with Miller at years end. Persist with him and/or go for a gun young KPF in the draft. See how JR goes I guess. Garth & Nyuon are defenders right? Bigoa is a ruck too.

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Dave Astbury turns 30 tomorrow and until 4-5 years ago most wanted him gone and / or wouldnt have cared if he left but things change and players develop at different stages. Ben Miller is just a 21 year old baby for a KPP and has size height speed and agility.

Needs to be given a good chance to make it and if he does become the Astbury replacement what a win
for a big part of the year Balta was the tall. Grimes & Broad were the medium talls. (both re signed) Balta is Astbury replacement I reckon. Miller is the Balta depth. Hope Miller stays. Rookie list. Maybe replace Chol (unless he comes out breathing fire)

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I think Miller's best chance will playing 3rd tall fwd/back up ruck. I feel that Balta will go back. And until Astbury retires they play Balta as the 2nd tall KPD. When Dave goes Broad will probably get a full go at the senior side.
Unless they change tall fwd selection philosophy.
Reckon Balta has the tools to play anywhere, but right now, back is best.
An injury to Astbury and we only have Miller as backup, Broad is not big enough to play on the the big forwards, which Astbury/Balta/Miller are.

Miller as a swingman in the meantime. Maybe in the ruck, but we have a few of those, CCJ and Chol. We have nobody to cover Jack if he goes down, so would be nice to see Miller given some time forward in the VFL to see how he goes, we know he can play back. They threw Garth up there in the practice match which was interesting, although Miller also kicked a goal, so perhaps he did get a go. VFL will be interesting this year mainly because we have a swag of young players in the mix proper, not old players or players like Markov who we've had a good look at but can't get games.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
for a big part of the year Balta was the tall. Grimes & Broad were the medium talls. (both re signed) Balta is Astbury replacement I reckon. Miller is the Balta depth. Hope Miller stays. Rookie list. Maybe replace Chol (unless he comes out breathing fire)
Yes but we were lucky for example against Geelong, if they had played Retugolea at CHF instead of the ruck it would have left us short, as it did when he went there in the last Q from memory, and took some great grabs. Nobody big enough to go with him. Most sides have two big forwards. Miller is depth, but it is pretty wafer thin, only one untried backup.

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Yes but we were lucky for example against Geelong, if they had played Retugolea at CHF instead of the ruck it would have left us short, as it did when he went there in the last Q from memory, and took some great grabs. Nobody big enough to go with him. Most sides have two big forwards. Miller is depth, but it is pretty wafer thin, only one untried backup.
2019 we used Astbury/Grimes/Broad exclusively all year too. We just don't change from the one KPD 2 medium talls. Broad can play a Hipwood quite wel.

Be interesting to see what they do with Miller at years end. Persist with him and/or go for a gun young KPF in the draft. See how JR goes I guess. Garth & Nyuon are defenders right? Bigoa is a ruck too.

If we draft a young KPF with Geelong's pick 8 they will take time, so Miller will stay if he can show something. Although Chol might be hoping to stake a claim to the spot

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
2019 we used Astbury/Grimes/Broad exclusively all year too. We just don't change from the one KPD 2 medium talls. Broad can play a Hipwood quite wel.
Forwards seem to be getting bigger. Broad can play on quick slender forwards, but he will be up around the 100kg's pretty soon, Daniher has joined them. Port has Dixon and a few big young talls. Like I said when Retugolea went forward late we were overpowered. We looked much better with Balta and Astbury as Balta also adds dash so Broad is not as needed.

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
As a development player who is still only 21, as long as this kid keep developing, there's definitely a spot for him up front or more likely down back.

Patience is a virtue and Miller and also Chol are fortunate to be at the club insofar as being allowed time to develop. If that pays off like Grimes and Astbury (and even Rance who took time to develop) then we will end up with two VERY athletic KPP's. Add that to Balta and a probably JR replacement free agent or trade in and the future doesn't look too bad.

I think Broad is still under rated as a stopper who can create counter attacks and I see him as Grimes natural replacement as a third tall although only 3-4 years younger. He is also super athletic and can run all day. I think Broad and Garth (if he makes it) would be the Grimes back ups.

Biggie is the interesting one. Hard to assess on such a blanked out season. I bet he learned heaps about professionalism during the weeks in that mini hub with Shedda and Ablett.

Miller looks to have lots of upside but it would be good to see him get some solid game time and build a block of form in the State League Australian Victorian Eastern (catchy name) competition.

He's obviously a good kick and can run but the biggest asset for the big fellas is their marking. Rance. Grimes. Astbury. Balta. Even Broad. All top marks. If he can't clunk it, he ain't gonna make it. He has the physique to crash packs which is the main thing lacking in Cholly's game.

Last edited:

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
[
Until 4-5 years ago Astbury couldn't get on the park due to injuries. Bit like Grimes. Sort of irrelevant now though, as he is so reliable and steady and nobody kicks goals on him. But I agree Miller needs some games, but with the VFL back he will at least get some footy into him at a decent level and at some stage this season will get some games you'd think.

He
Was attacked by sea creatures too

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Ben Miller's best game so far in the VFL

Ben Miller (24 disposals, six rebound-50s, five marks)

"'Funky' was good again on the weekend. His closing speed was on show on numerous occasions when caught out of position on turnover. His one-on-one work continues to be a strength and he is playing with great confidence."

Didn't even look VFL standard in his first 2 season. He has improved massively since then. Speed and kicking are very good and is now starting to get to right positions to compete and impact games more.

"'Funky' was good again on the weekend. His closing speed was on show on numerous occasions when caught out of position on turnover. His one-on-one work continues to be a strength and he is playing with great confidence."

Didn't even look VFL standard in his first 2 season. He has improved massively since then. Speed and kicking are very good and is now starting to get to right positions to compete and impact games more.

He's a bit of a slow burn guy. But the club do think he's got something worthwhile. A few more performances like that and maybe big Dave gets a rest and Ben get's to play AFL. I love what Miller can bring to the team. But he's got to really stake his place as the best available now - or he's likely to need to move to get game time.

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
He's a bit of a slow burn guy. But the club do think he's got something worthwhile. A few more performances like that and maybe big Dave gets a rest and Ben get's to play AFL. I love what Miller can bring to the team. But he's got to really stake his place as the best available now - or he's likely to need to move to get game time.
Biggy and him have much more upside than Garth. Reckon he is next in line for a KPD spot.

Biggy and him have much more upside than Garth. Reckon he is next in line for a KPD spot.

I love Garth, He's really good. But he's just too small for the monsters and not Grimes like enough on the smalls. So yes, Miller and Biggy do have more upside, just cause they are athletic big men.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania

His closing speed gives him something that Astbury doesn't have. If we were a rebuilding team, Miller would be playing right now.

tigerimij

Senior List
Oct 12, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
I love Garth, He's really good. But he's just too small for the monsters and not Grimes like enough on the smalls. So yes, Miller and Biggy do have more upside, just cause they are athletic
Wasnt we tryingGarth in the forward line earlier this year? His record as a forward pre draft was very good

Yep, we tried him as a forward. He did Ok form memory.

Not sure where the club is going with him. His direct competition is Grimes I'd say. So he's toast on that comparison. The talls are all bigger than him. Forward he's supposedly pretty solid.

Interesting to see what happens.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep, we tried him as a forward. He did Ok form memory.

Not sure where the club is going with him. His direct competition is Grimes I'd say. So he's toast on that comparison. The talls are all bigger than him. Forward he's supposedly pretty solid.

Interesting to see what happens.

He is 196cm so plenty tall enough to be a key position player if good enough. I think that is Astbury’s height.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
He is 196cm so plenty tall enough to be a key position player if good enough. I think that is Astbury’s height.
Much more athletic as well with a good leap. But lets be realistic, Astbury is going nowhere and nor should he. Of course he is going to lose more contests this year than normal, the ball is coming in so easily at times, but he is still a solid member of a backline in a side that has been unsettled by injury and they are very unlikely to unsettle that even further. Excited by Miller, but he will have to wait a week or so more.

Would love to see him come in as a forward, looks a natural forward to me, but considering he hasn't played more than half a game there in two years, that is not going to happen either.

Back