Player Watch #46: Ben Miller

Remove this Banner Ad

I missed the bulletin. When did we move to Kardinia Park?

If the recruitment of Tarrant serves as a mentor for Miller and Biggie then I’m ok with it post like a post earlier suggested there had to be a vfl, sanfl or wafl KB at a slightly younger age could of slotted in. We had a kid Beasley in the seconds that was going really well who was delisted by the lions before playing for us. Where did he go?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If the recruitment of Tarrant serves as a mentor for Miller and Biggie then I’m ok with it post like a post earlier suggested there had to be a vfl, sanfl or wafl KB at a slightly younger age could of slotted in. We had a kid Beasley in the seconds that was going really well who was delisted by the lions before playing for us. Where did he go?

Slightly concerned if we delist Miller and bring in Tarrant & Talia. Which is being suggested. The word 'mentor ' kills me too. We have triple premiership players in that backline that everybody trains with.. I'm not sure what wisdom spoon winning Talia or Tarrant can bring in? With a full list Tarranttalia won't even be our best 22. Tarrant wants 2 years. Astbury left us one year too soon really.
Interesting to see how trade period goes.

Slightly concerned if we delist Miller and bring in Tarrant & Talia. Which is being suggested. The word 'mentor ' kills me too. We have triple premiership players in that backline that everybody trains with.. I'm not sure what wisdom spoon winning Talia or Tarrant can bring in? With a full list Tarranttalia won't even be our best 22. Tarrant wants 2 years. Astbury left us one year too soon really.
Tarrant not best 22?? You're kidding yourself there

Last edited:

You can also say you can go as far as Defensive coaching...? as we have no defensive coach. Hense why Im astonished we're not talking to Scarlett.

But yeah you're right its gonna be interesting. I hope Tiger71 s right

His at Box Hill now.

Not going to bring in Talia it's either one for me not both Miller and Biggie will be there.Miller will play games next year I think club is waiting who is going or staying as a rookie or further delisted.

Very small sample with Miller, but I already prefer him to Garthwaite. Garthwaite’s kicking is atrocious. There was a game this year where we used him as the distributor from half back. He turned it over repeatedly. Plus, he hasn’t got the size to hold down the monster forwards. They just role over the top of him.

As. much as Garth tries his guts out, I have just never been able to trust him from the moment I first saw his kicking technique. Love his endeavour but clearly with the athletic prowess and natural talent Miller has a bigger potential and therefore has to be persisted with. His one game he looked solid enough but was against poor opposition. I'd love to draft a highly rated one like Gibcus but he might be overrated in a draft light on for KPD, or else gone before our first pick. Tarrant helps fill a void but we will need another developing tall who could potentially be a long term partner for Balta. Miller might be that, he might not all i know is that Garth is not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realistically, we're not contending next year. Topping up with Tarrant and Talia instead of trying to develop youth could really cause us issues when they retire in a few years.
What youth Spluff. Nyuon delisted, Miiller already delisted and then placed on the list as a rookie, Garthwaite delisted.

We would never have delisted Miller if we were confident of him becoming a good KPD. Now the same has happened with Nyuon.

How often have we done this and it has ultimately failed we think they have some promise so instead of cutting the cord entirely we rookie em instead it rarely works.

Miller is no where near the standard of Tarrant Talia Or a bloke called Skinner or even Schlensog who has made a state team in wa at the same age.we are still HOPING he will improve enough just to warrant a regular game. Rhett Bazzo an 18 yo in the nd already looks more accomplished imo.

Even if we kept Nyuon on the list proper he appears to be nowhere near ready for AFL.

My point is i dont think we have a choice but go and look for some mature key defenders because we just dont have the youth coming thru in this area.
I have gone on about getting more talls into the system for ages imo we have been poor in this. Far too set on taking Half ruckmen Half Forward not quite either.
Or when we have taken a genuine kpp we have not invested too much lately in where we have got em in the draft and we have not taken a hell of a lot.

My point is i dont think we have a choice but go and look for some mature key defenders because we just dont have the youth coming thru in this area.
I have gone on about getting more talls into the system for ages imo we have been poor in this. Far too set on taking Half ruckmen Half Forward not quite either.
Or when we have taken a genuine kpp we have not invested too much lately in where we have got em in the draft and we have not taken a hell of a lot.

Yes you certainly have gone on about it for ages , Well since 2015 from what i can remember

Yet we have won 3 premierships whilst you have been going on about our s**t list and recruiting

Says more about your opinion than the clubs recruiting

Yes you certainly have gone on about it for ages , Well since 2015 from what i can remember

Yet we have won 3 premierships whilst you have been going on about our sh*t list and recruiting

Says more about your opinion than the clubs recruiting
Settle petal...😉🤭

What youth Spluff. Nyuon delisted, Miiller already delisted and then placed on the list as a rookie, Garthwaite delisted.

We would never have delisted Miller if we were confident of him becoming a good KPD. Now the same has happened with Nyuon.

How often have we done this and it has ultimately failed we think they have some promise so instead of cutting the cord entirely we rookie em instead it rarely works.

Miller is no where near the standard of Tarrant Talia Or a bloke called Skinner or even Schlensog who has made a state team in wa at the same age.we are still HOPING he will improve enough just to warrant a regular game. Rhett Bazzo an 18 yo in the nd already looks more accomplished imo.

Even if we kept Nyuon on the list proper he appears to be nowhere near ready for AFL.

And yet despite not following your path, we’ve won 3 of the last 5 premiership flags? I think I’ll just trust the List Managers and recruiters until their strategy proves a failure.
P.S. I don’t disagree totally that we need more young actual KP players on the list

I doubt they have demoted Miller and Nyuon because they think they are no good, they need to make space for the blokes they gave two year deals for, Castagna, Aarts, Caddy and for a handful of kids, 5 inside 30. To do that they have to reshuffle is my way of reading it. Stack is in the same boat as Miller, resigned just for a year with bigger things if all goes well down the track. I'm sure they rate Stack. Being a rookie list player these days doesn't mean a lot and all clubs are doing it to fit in the numbers in reduced lists and they don't need to be promoted to play.

Of course Miller is not of the standard that Tarrant is, who has been one of the best defenders in the league for a decade or so.

I also think we should be getting backup for Miller and Nyuon, if Skinner and Schlensog are any good then rookie one of them, we will need them because if we have an injury to Tarrant and Miller is promoted, then we have Nyuon as the only tall in the backline. Are they better than Miller, who knows, they might be. Miller has had a lot of injuries and absolutely no continuity in his footy due to that and Covid. Comparing Nyuon and Miller to WA boys who have played 2 full seasons of WAFL while our boys have been playing Gold Coast 14-16 a side practice matches and a few stop start VFL games is hardly fair.

Nyuon will be right up there next year in some respects. 198cm and 95kg, a freak athlete, a ruckman as a kid who is learning the CHB role. Is he going to do it in 8 or 9 VFL matches, of course not, but he looked pretty impressive in his last game and will have a good preseason up his sleeve.

Mate Talia is cooked no brainer failed a medical.Means nothing they have been put on a rookie list club may want more list spots to draft still time to make it.

Hopefully this guy earns and gets a few games.

Really felt the club should have given him about 6 this year at least.
I think he would have played earlier but he - along with the rest of our backline, bar Grimes - got injured.

I think he would have played earlier but he - along with the rest of our backline, bar Grimes - got injured.

There was a period of time when Astbury went down that Miller didn't play, despite being fit at the time. Think we played Garth instead or just went short.

Might have been work 2-4 games.

I just remember thinking what in the name of F is this C doing on our list if he can't get a game now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back