Past #46: Ben Speight - drafted with #40 in the '08 RD - delisted at the end of 2013 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Mentioned to my mate around the time the Doggies were starting their run in the 3rd qtr that Speight should come on asap as we had lost our run somewhat. Thought Scott might have left it a bit late but glad to be proved otherwise. Made a massive contribution when he came on.

Re: Ben Speight was great

He is a fantastic player. Should be in the 22 every week.
Yep. He has pace. He has skill. He is not afraid to back himself. He loves a goal. Why he was dropped in the first place was beyond me and I don't want to hear some inner scrotum rot that he didn't listen to instruction. This is the sort of guy we need to be pumping games into.

Re: Ben Speight was great

Having watched this guy develop for us at Werribee since he was rookied by North Melbourne, I take great pride in seeing him do so well in the super sub role.

Every time has he has come on as a sub at AFL level, he wasn't disgraced and is always involved no matter where the ball is.

Onya Speighta......:thumbsu:

Werribee supporters should feel proud of his development, have been a significant part of his development.

He's had some s**t luck along the way with injuries coming along at the worst times. However, he also clearly doesn't have the same faith in him from the coaches that other young players taken far earlier in the draft obviously do.

I know he went down last year with the Shoulder but where has he been all year?

He showed more than enough last year to having been given some gametime this year.

Someone like him that can run and carry and actually finish off should have had a chance in a side that needs some spark.

Where the bloody hell is the little fella??

He showed more than enough last year to having been given some gametime this year.

Someone like him that can run and carry and actually finish off should have had a chance in a side that needs some spark.

He has played 1 good game in the VFL this year. The fact that it was last week may help his chances of playing this week.

I know some folk think that some in the senior team don't deserve to be there on output, and rightly so, but replacing them with a bloke who doesn't deserve to be there on VFL output seems a tad strange to me.

Has been average at VFL level this year.

Pretty much like our entire club.

exactly thats why he deserves a game, everyone else has had a shot at playing. Really don't see the point in playing the same old players who rotate in and out each week.
On that rational, lets give Malcolm Lynch a go. He has done next to * all all year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

exactly thats why he deserves a game, everyone else has had a shot at playing. Really don't see the point in playing the same old players who rotate in and out each week.

Not so sure. I would love to see him play but what if he comes in and makes zero impact?

It's not as simple as being in VFL best players list in the paper IMO. Speight is the type of player who has the potential of doing much better at AFL level, than on a muddy VFL paddocks. He needs space, which there isn't a lot of in VFL, and he needs a ceartain style of play, which arguably our senior team does play. If we are to play the counter attacking style with good spread, which Bon has tried to introduce, it would suit Speight to a tee.

What are we expecting from him at VFL level? 30 touches? He'll never give you that. 4-5 goals a game? He maybe playing too deep.

Not saying I'd pick him, and I haven't seen much VFL action this year personally, but I am sure there is more than pure VFL stats for Ben to earn a senior game. Bringing him in for Basti wouldn't be the worst idea this week.

Not so sure. I would love to see him play but what if he comes in and makes zero impact?
Plenty of players have come in and made zero impact, in fact some senior players who continue to get a game have had zero impact. Need to think, if he came in and made an impact. Over the weekend he was listed as best because of his run and carry. Exactly what we need.

On that rational, lets give Malcolm Lynch a go. He has done next to **** all all year.

Speight has played senior footy and has played well.. (he was named best over the weekend). Malcolm Lynch has not played AFL footy at all, their is a difference. But thats ok lets continue to rotate the same old players who continue to disappoint. If form was a basis for team selection, Garlett will be playing every week.

Plenty of players have come in and made zero impact, in fact some senior players who continue to get a game have had zero impact. Need to think, if he came in and made an impact. Over the weekend he was listed as best because of his run and carry. Exactly what we need.

Yeah, I get that.

However, it appears that our confidence as a team is at an all time low. Changing one player isn't going to inject confidence into the entire playing group.

Speight has played senior footy and has played well.. (he was named best over the weekend). Malcolm Lynch has not played AFL footy at all, their is a difference. But thats ok lets continue to rotate the same old players who continue to disappoint. If form was a basis for team selection, Garlett will be playing every week.

But that is the thing, it isn't the basis for team selection.

Selection is a horses for courses policy. It is ******* lunacy.

Well, he has, albeit some time ago.

I'm all for rewarding form when warranted. I just don't get the whole drop so and so because he is playing poorly at AFL level and bring in so and so instead because he is playing poorly at VFL level. Guys like Gibson, Anthony and Garlett can find the footy at VFL and AFL level and should rightly be first cabs off the rank when midfield or half forward changes are made.

Then there are the likes of Richardson, Kennedy and Mullett who are doing reasonably well and then come the likes of Sierakowski, Urquhart and Speight who up until this week haven't done enough to even be considered for senior promotion. I'm all for mixing it up but, call me crazy here, bringing in a guy who hasn't been able to find the pill in the VFL, until this weekend anyway, does not strike me as a smart move, despite previous flashes of ability at AFL level.

According to Benny C, Speight has been getting a tag at times in the VFL.

Its obvious somebody rates him, even if BF doesn't.

If form was a basis for team selection, Garlett will be playing every week.
What has Garlett done in 2-3 games that he played this season? Yes, his VFL form has been solid, but he seems to struggle to go to the next level.

What has Garlett done in 2-3 games that he played this season? Yes, his VFL form has been solid, but he seems to struggle to go to the next level.

He did well in limited game time in Launceston EH, gaining plenty of touches, before being demoted again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back