Player Watch #46 Joel Amartey

Remove this Banner Ad

dazedjosh

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
I think whether he plays this week will be telling.
If we intend to keep him, then he should play. Valuable experience.
If we don't intend to keep him there is no point in playing him.
Yeah I think at the very least last week and this week are an audition for him. I'm of the opinion that because we picked Amartey over Knoll when both were fit, Knoll is a goner and Amartey has a chance but he has to do ok this week.

Wolftone

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2012
Lilyfield
AFL Club
Sydney
Some kind of leg injury either knee or ankle (though leaning towards ankle). Haven’t been told how serious or even what it is really.

We probably won’t ever know though as the club don’t seem to add rookies to the injury list in general (aside from AJ).
Bruised foot. Should be ok to go next week.

Joel got caught out a few times while against MacInnerney. That is because Oscar is not easy to play on because he throes those bony elbows about and it is hard not to get knocked out if your head is at his elbow height and Oscar is 206cm. I thought Joel's debut was pretty good.

Wolftone

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2012
Lilyfield
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah I think at the very least last week and this week are an audition for him. I'm of the opinion that because we picked Amartey over Knoll when both were fit, Knoll is a goner and Amartey has a chance but he has to do ok this week.
Amartey has much more refined skills than Knoll. His kicking is generally good whereas Knoll has a ball drop like drunken chicken giving birth. Knoll is good in the ruck but does not do as much around the ground. I think when Joel picks up the pace he will be an incredible asset to the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dazedjosh

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Amartey has much more refined skills than Knoll. His kicking is generally good whereas Knoll has a ball drop like drunken chicken giving birth. Knoll is good in the ruck but does not do as much around the ground. I think when Joel picks up the pace he will be an incredible asset to the team.
Amartey is also only 21 at the moment and played forward as a junior as well I believe. If we're keeping one of them, Amartey would be my choice, even if he's just a project. We're still going to be looking for a number 1 ruck, but if Amartey can provide depth and development, that's one less thing to worry about come trade period. If he can turn into an AFL level player, then even better.

Last edited:

Crust

Senior List
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SUANFC

I thought he did ok.

Couple of times he was running with the ball and just slammed it on the boot to a Brisbane player when there were clear options. I'm hoping that was just first gamer nerves.

SeanM

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
The club usually likes to have a few rucks on the list. So there is probably still going to be a position for a developing ruck. Especially with our injury issues in that position this season. Though as a third year rookie I think Amartey would need to fill one of the senior list spots.

Top Bottom