Player Watch #36 Joel Amartey

Remove this Banner Ad

1454318147691_03080803_MPX_5064851_hd720.jpg

Joel Amartey
Joel Amartey has shown strong form in the ruck and as a key-position player at both ends of the ground since being drafted to the Sydney Swans as a rookie ahead of season 2018. The Ghanaian-Australian produced arguably his best performance of the 2019 season against Sydney University in Round 6, which saw him collect 42 hit-outs and a goal. In season 2020, he made his AFL debut against Brisbane Lions in Round 17 after producing some strong individual performances in scrimmage matches, and impressed with eight hit-outs and two inside 50.

Joel Amartey
DOB: 02 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #28, 2017 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Gram (Vic)/Sandringham U18

I think whether he plays this week will be telling.
If we intend to keep him, then he should play. Valuable experience.
If we don't intend to keep him there is no point in playing him.

Yeah I think at the very least last week and this week are an audition for him. I'm of the opinion that because we picked Amartey over Knoll when both were fit, Knoll is a goner and Amartey has a chance but he has to do ok this week.

Some kind of leg injury either knee or ankle (though leaning towards ankle). Haven’t been told how serious or even what it is really.

We probably won’t ever know though as the club don’t seem to add rookies to the injury list in general (aside from AJ).

Bruised foot. Should be ok to go next week.

Joel got caught out a few times while against MacInnerney. That is because Oscar is not easy to play on because he throes those bony elbows about and it is hard not to get knocked out if your head is at his elbow height and Oscar is 206cm. I thought Joel's debut was pretty good.

Yeah I think at the very least last week and this week are an audition for him. I'm of the opinion that because we picked Amartey over Knoll when both were fit, Knoll is a goner and Amartey has a chance but he has to do ok this week.

Amartey has much more refined skills than Knoll. His kicking is generally good whereas Knoll has a ball drop like drunken chicken giving birth. Knoll is good in the ruck but does not do as much around the ground. I think when Joel picks up the pace he will be an incredible asset to the team.

Amartey has much more refined skills than Knoll. His kicking is generally good whereas Knoll has a ball drop like drunken chicken giving birth. Knoll is good in the ruck but does not do as much around the ground. I think when Joel picks up the pace he will be an incredible asset to the team.

Amartey is also only 21 at the moment and played forward as a junior as well I believe. If we're keeping one of them, Amartey would be my choice, even if he's just a project. We're still going to be looking for a number 1 ruck, but if Amartey can provide depth and development, that's one less thing to worry about come trade period. If he can turn into an AFL level player, then even better.

Last edited:

I thought he did ok.

Couple of times he was running with the ball and just slammed it on the boot to a Brisbane player when there were clear options. I'm hoping that was just first gamer nerves.

The club usually likes to have a few rucks on the list. So there is probably still going to be a position for a developing ruck. Especially with our injury issues in that position this season. Though as a third year rookie I think Amartey would need to fill one of the senior list spots.

I don't mind the re-signing.

He has had 3 years of development working with Cox and he finally got his debut this year. So I feel like we might as well persist with him as a developing forward/ruck. Rather than start from scratch with another player, especially with the reduced coaches.

Also he could probably offer some depth in the forward line. My main concern is that he has had niggling injury issues.

My main concern is he isn’t competitive / aggressive enough for AFL footy! ;)

But he has another year to prove himself so I hope he finds it. Good luck to him.
Agree. Also not quite tall enough, big enough jump, wingspan. More of a forward/ruck. As you say, good luck to him, and to the rest of the boys.

1 year https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/834703/swans-lock-in-young-trio

Can't see why he won't get another contract after this, clearly no amount of performance or output is required to get one
You don't think he was kept because we need the depth? Surely having someone is better than having no-one, or bringing in someone who is not any better, who also has to be taught the system, the game plan, and build playing relationships with the mids?

It seems to me that there are 5 or 6 really good ruckmen in the league at any one time, and of these maybe the top 3 or 4 have a few seasons as elite (often rotating through). Then there are the rest who serviceable, with occasional flashes of excellence. So unless we saw someone we thought was more likely to be able to perform at this level better and sooner than Amertey, and that you could get, why wouldn't you keep him?

Also, don't you think that Cox will have had some input in keeping him? He's what, 21 or 22, and playing as a ruck... would you really have expected him to have had an impact yet? Perhaps long term, he may develop into a Sinclair or Cox type player, who will have value as a number 2 ruck and trade value? He is surely not costing up very much in terms of cap, and until/unless we get a new development ruck (with greater long term potential), we keep him as depth.

I think our choices were stick with Amartey or take someone we did not feel was likely to be a better prospect long term. So we contracted him for another year, and then we'll re-evaluate what we've got and what's available next year. Seems perfectly reasonable to me... but feel free to tell me why I'm wrong.

You don't think he was kept because we need the depth? Surely having someone is better than having no-one
There are limited spots on the list, and I set a higher bar than "existing" and "being tall".

I have posted far more detailed analysis in the List Management 101 thread about success and failure rates for draftees and the benefits of quickly cutting all those who will not be above average at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ruckmen ALWAYS take longer to develop than key position players who ALWAYS take longer to develop than ground ball players.
Amartey is a handy one to hang onto a little longer as his body matures & he builds his confidence at the contest. It may not work out but far easier to replace smaller players than these big fellows as we have found out.

There are limited spots on the list, and I set a higher bar than "existing" and "being tall".

I have posted far more detailed analysis in the List Management 101 thread about success and failure rates for draftees and the benefits of quickly cutting all those who will not be above average at AFL level.
Yes, I've read your List Management 101, and thought it was pretty good actually.

However, I also think Carlton and Melbourne list managers read that thread and thought it was pretty good too! They followed it to a tee! Someone on your list not performing, cut them, get someone new! And look where it got them...

Do you not think that there is any possibility at all that there is an alternate process that might work well on occasion, depending on the circumstances at that time? Especially given the extenuating circumstances of this year, and in all likelihood, next year too?

Query whether the first game he played last year was off the back of being the last tall standing. This time around his form must warrant a selection. Hopefully he has a good game.

His last 3-4 games (including the rumoured scratch match performance) have been the best run of form he has produced.

I’ve been clear that I haven’t rated Amartey up until recently (I’d have delisted him last year) but he has absolutely earnt a senior call up and I hope he makes an impression!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back