Player Watch #46 Lachlan McAndrew

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely something to work with here.
Well done fella.

His progress over the last year has been good and I agree handy debut on the weekend.

Thought a couple of plays in virtually the same spot in the 1st and 3rd qtrs summed up where he can get better.
1st qtr throw in in our fwd 50, Goldstein knowing he is being beaten grabs hold of McAndrew's arm and gives away a free kick.
3rd Goldstein basically manhandles Lachlan out of the way (fairly) and wins the HO.

He's been working on his craft and doing well, with increased bulk and stamina over time I think he has a promising future.
Only turns 23 on Friday so still plenty of time.
And one good thing, you don't have to teach 209cm.

Last edited:

There was one tap he did from a centre bounce, could have been the third quarter, straight down the throat of Papley was a sight to behold. He’s doing well at CBs where he can run and jump and at his height and leap he won’t lose the tap to many ruckmen.

Not so strong at throw ins and ball ups where it’s more of a show of strength and positioning and where more experienced ruckmen will outpoint him. But he’ll keep learning and developing and could be something of a player in a couple of years time

Let's be honest, he's not AFL quality yet though? At least two years in the reserves.
No, but the cupboard is pretty bare so I can understand the hype.

Let's be honest, he's not AFL quality yet though? At least two years in the reserves.
Agreed, in that his current output won't be sustainable at the elite level for many more weeks, if any.

Most importantly though is that he hasn't looked a disaster. Has had enough moments that suggest there is something to work with there, which is all you'd need from him at this point considering he's still quite raw.

plenty to work with and didn't look lost out there. Played early out of neccessity which will help. Looks pretty sturdy for such a tall lad so a couple more pre seasons and will be better around the ground.

Agreed, in that his current output won't be sustainable at the elite level for many more weeks, if any.

Most importantly though is that he hasn't looked a disaster. Has had enough moments that suggest there is something to work with there, which is all you'd need from him at this point considering he's still quite raw.

I agree that he has shown potential but that won't be realised for years. His work around the ground and up forward is not good enough at the moment to warrant selection. We are basically playing a man short (pardon the irony). I'd rather put a makeshift ruck in there who will lose the tap but has a chance to win the ball. McAndrew can learn a lot playing VFL too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that he has shown potential but that won't be realised for years. His work around the ground and up forward is not good enough at the moment to warrant selection. We are basically playing a man short (pardon the irony). I'd rather put a makeshift ruck in there who will lose the tap but has a chance to win the ball. McAndrew can learn a lot playing VFL too.
Yeah I'm with you Jimbo, he looked pretty lost most of the time watching him live.
Yes he does look like he has the tools, but I reckon it's a good few years till he can actually use them I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back