Player Watch #46 Lachlan McAndrew

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we could have goals for Owens to be the Forward / Ruck in a few years time.

I have watched him and he is a smooth mover for someone 203cm and fluid particularly below the knees for someone his size

Still raw and skinny but there is some things there that is worth a punt on a rookie list

Also attempts to hit packs hard even though he weighs not much atm

Let’s see

Really excited for McAndrew's debut. As I understand it he's the quietest bloke at the club bar none and very much off in his own world, so naturally I am drawn to him as a player.

It's also really cool that he's basically the first ruckman we've blooded from within since... Cameron in 2018? Usually we just recycle experienced rucks from other clubs.

Really excited for McAndrew's debut. As I understand it he's the quietest bloke at the club bar none and very much off in his own world, so naturally I am drawn to him as a player.

It's also really cool that he's basically the first ruckman we've blooded from within since... Cameron in 2018? Usually we just recycle experienced rucks from other clubs.
These are the things I enjoy when watching us , even when not winning. Up & coming players that may just make their name here & now going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought he was awesome. Competed and even beat Goldstein in a few ruck contests. Thought he was better than Goldstein at centre bounces. It's just our s**t midfield couldn't capitalise on it. Won 1/3 of his hit outs.

Given where he was last year, to come out and put in such a solid showing is fantastic.

He's still gangly and raw, and didn't have great synergy with the midfield yet, but I liked that he played with instinct and confidence, which is a great sign for a guy so new to the game.

We'll be in a lot of trouble if he's our number 1 ruck right now, but there's plenty to work with going forward.

Shouldn't and can't drop him for Hickey. Ladhams takes Pittonet and leave McAndrew to monster Silvagni next week.

I think he can be pretty proud of that debut. Up against a vastly experienced Goldstein and he held his own. Showed some decent guile with some of his taps and generally followed up towards the ball to apply pressure or lay a tackle which was greaet viewing.

I'm chuffed to read the good reviews of his first game here. Not that I take any credit. I hadn't heard of him when he was drafted and have offered no opinions other than vanilla support since. But I also thought he showed as much as we could have possibly hoped for his first game and given his background. Loved that he got his debut exactly on his own personal schedule too. It shows some confidence and self-awareness on his part - a bit like Mike Pyke in that regard.

Stretch still has a lot to learn but he's got a number of precious ingredients, starting with his height. He'll keep getting better and, if we're lucky, he really will be a worthy #1 ruck one day.

Lachie's tackling was the thing I enjoyed the most. Sometimes beanpoles are a bit like witches hats that the zippy little players just dodge around but Lachie reached out and grabbed a couple. Actually he laid fully 5 tackles. That has got to go to his rugby background.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back