Past #46: Matthew Taylor - pick 43 '16 Rookie Draft - thanks for your service Matt

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think he'll be getting another year, Hasn't really done anything of note at VFL level minus one 21 disposal game a few weeks ago.

Thought there would have been others out there in the state leagues that were more worthy of a rookie list spot than Taylor.

Don't think he'll be getting another year, Hasn't really done anything of note at VFL level minus one 21 disposal game a few weeks ago.

Thought there would have been others out there in the state leagues that were more worthy of a rookie list spot than Taylor.

Looked a nice enough player in the highlights, can see what attracted the recruiters. Maybe just didn't have the next level in him.

Looked a nice enough player in the highlights, can see what attracted the recruiters. Maybe just didn't have the next level in him.

Wasn't really an A-grader at WAFL level though, was just a solid player. Hasn't shown the same sort of level of output at VFL level this year.

Strikes me as a player our recruiters were attracted to because he had a decent kick and a tiny little bit of toe. Much like Brayden Norris and Mitch Wilkins.

Wasn't really an A-grader at WAFL level though, was just a solid player. Hasn't shown the same sort of level of output at VFL level this year.

Strikes me as a player our recruiters were attracted to because he had a decent kick and a tiny little bit of toe. Much like Brayden Norris and Mitch Wilkins.

Agree and Wilkins was similar, looked neat enough across a few categories. Think the attraction would be for that general purpose MacMillan type.

Norris was a roll of the dice imo, freakish tank and ok courage so can see why they'd have a punt.

Wouldn't surprise me but I don't see why they would.

Considering they have already extended Junker 9who is yet to even play a game) why wouldn't have they already extended Taylor?
A lot of contract talk has been put on hold til we know what's happening with Martin and Kelly.

Smaller fish like Taylor won't even get a look in til trade week is just about done.

Taylor will be on peanuts you'd think, and he'd understand that he's better to accept a small offer than to play the field where it's unlikely anyone else would trade for him, so he will wait for the offer and sign it when it's put in front of him. (In my opinion).

We're not a club that traditionally gets rid of players after a single year.

that needs to change.

we've wasted list spots on blokes that are never going to make it too many times in the past.
I think it's more often than not a bigger mistake to delist a player after one year than to keep them on for an additional one.

What the club does too often though is hangs onto players 4, 5, 6 years when they haven't shown anything.

Whatever you think of Daw, how many clubs would have hung onto him for 8 yrs +?

I doubt the Club will be delisting him as I have stated my opinion before. Got him over from WA....so we've got him to move over and leave his life over there for a chance to play AFL, which is a win for both parties of course. I am not saying we are doing favours but we wouldn't of just made a one year commitment. Its a little unfair unless he was a complete bust. The only way I see it if he is pushed out due to a 40 man squad with the ins and outs.

He may just need another hard AFL level based preseason and may have had some niggles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt the Club will be delisting him as I have stated my opinion before. Got him over from WA....so we've got him to move over and leave his life over there for a chance to play AFL, which is a win for both parties of course. I am not saying we are doing favours but we wouldn't of just made a one year commitment. Its a little unfair unless he was a complete bust. The only way I see it if he is pushed out due to a 40 man squad with the ins and outs.

He may just need another hard AFL level based preseason and may have had some niggles.
His lack of a tank has hurt his chances this year.

Has good attributes with pace and kicking, so I hope he works out and pushes out Fish.

Purely speculative pickup that didn't take the required steps

Think this is a good pick. Had he been Victorian he probably would of played as a 19 year old in the TAC Cup and ripped it up, and possibly been taken in the main draft.

Will be a weapon for Werribee.

calling it now, this kid is an afl player he has the smarts and does not waste a kick

Thanks for that critical bit of info Lice.

Wasn't aware we get a wildcard into the Australian Open.
Two posters whose opinion I value highly, but it was Arden who was closest the mark lol
We drafted a tennis player

But in all seriousness good luck to the kid in the future

that needs to change.

we've wasted list spots on blokes that are never going to make it too many times in the past.

so I get a bit sick of this, the list spot we waste will only be taken by a player selected after our last pick in the draft of any year, so let look at the players that fit this criteria over the last 5 years, 117 picks in total
clubs passed on 23 of these picks
26 were rookie promotions
5 were Academy
4 were Father/Sons
that leaves 58 players that were taken after our last pick in the last 5 years

of those, 31 have played under 9 games or less only 2 from 2016 so the remaining 29 have been on lists for 2 years at least.
and a further 2 have been delisted.

that leaves 25 players that are still playing and have managed 13 games or more, of these half would not have been available at our next pick.

So yeah that spot aint as important as you want to think.

Last edited:
so I get a bit sick of this, the list spot we waste will only be taken by a player selected after our last pick in the draft of any year, so let look at the players that fit this criteria over the last 5 years, 117 picks in total
clubs passed on 23 of these picks
26 were rookie promotions
5 were Academy
4 were Father/Sons
that leaves 58 players that were taken after our last pick in the last 5 years

of those, 31 have played under 9 games or less only 2 from 2016 so the remaining 25 have been on lists for 2 years at least.
and a further 2 have been delisted.

that leaves 25 players that are still playing and have managed 13 games or more, of these half would not have been available at our next pick.

So yeah that spot aint as important as you want to think.

So we should keep Taylor and Fordham next year even though there never going to make it?

Or should we take a punt and see if we can pluck somebody with a late pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back