Retired 46. Matthew Wright Announces Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

its pretty revealing that two such hard working players in Wright and Kerridge have fallen off the Adelaide train. If you add the Betts comments from a few years ago- that he couldnt believe the difference in training and professionalism between carlton and the crows, thn you start to get a picture of a very well run club with great culture. Trigg was once part of that.

Stunned by this guy. I thought we got him for depth. Was surprised to see he brought up his 100th game as I didn't think he had that many under his belt and surprised he has contributed every week and gotten better and better. I thought week 1 and 2 he was filling a spot until someone else who was injured came into the side. Stoked about this acquisition and we have finally had an offseason we can be proud of. Silvagni at the helm has been a masterstroke based on his first year.

He was delisted by Adelaide... can anybody tell me why this is? Was this because they acquired Troy Menzel and he would therefore be behind Betts and Menzel?
Sorry to intrude, but he'd run his race with us IMO, and we'd acquired a glut of small forward/mids. He'd fallen behind not only those two, but Charlie Cameron and Riley Knight.

Rapt to see him doing so well with you guys. All the best.

And Matty wins the leading goal kicker this year for the Blues.

Great work!

Great pick up list management team.

Also... think he played every game.

Last edited:
Well done Matty - played through the middle more than I expected and still topped the goal kicking
Good skills, great ticker and good footy brain
SOS now just needs to find a 6"6' version of Matty in this years delistings who can take a grab and kick straight

:thumbsu:

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2016-10-14/wright-at-home

Carlton Football Club is delighted to announce Matthew Wright has signed a new one-year deal.

The 26-year-old made his way to Ikon Park at the end of 2015 as a delisted free agent after 94 games with the Adelaide Crows.
“Ahead of another pre-season, it’s great to have put pen to paper with the Club that took a chance on me last year,” Wright said.
“I just tried to make the most of my opportunities this season and my teammates and coaches have been really supportive.

EditWright620x370.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see. Only a year, but I guess understandably as a delisted free agent the club wants to play it a little safe rather than splurging on 3 year deals or whatever like in the past.

I'm still a big wrap for Matty... nuggety clever player who gives his all. Always a spot in a team for that kind of player.

Very well deserved.

Made the most of his second opportunity at AFL level and proved to be a very valuable contributor in 2016.

He's no star but a veteran who provides good leadership and who you can depend on to play his role each and every week.

As long as he continues to do so he'll give himself every opportunity to extend his tenure at the club on an annual basis.

was at game on thursday and watched the replay this morning. I know you need small forwards to be hungry and to have a goal sense but i feel wright could have been more team focused on Thursday. don't kill me - i know he was our leading goal kicker in 2016 and can play an important role, but on a handful of occasions when the ball was in dispute, rather than go in to try help win it he tried ducking out the back in the hopes of getting one over the top. thats ok if we're a GOOD team that will normally win it, but we arent. Another stark difference from us and richmond was demonstrated with dusty running in to an open goal and happily passing it off to a first gamer for a cheap goal, they could have raffled it. Did wright think to handball to Pickett when he, pickett and weiters were strolling into open goal? I understand in a poor team and when already losing you might be tempted to look after your own back, but would love the team first vibe that was getting around last year to come back

was at game on thursday and watched the replay this morning. I know you need small forwards to be hungry and to have a goal sense but i feel wright could have been more team focused on Thursday. don't kill me - i know he was our leading goal kicker in 2016 and can play an important role, but on a handful of occasions when the ball was in dispute, rather than go in to try help win it he tried ducking out the back in the hopes of getting one over the top. thats ok if we're a GOOD team that will normally win it, but we arent. Another stark difference from us and richmond was demonstrated with dusty running in to an open goal and happily passing it off to a first gamer for a cheap goal, they could have raffled it. Did wright think to handball to Pickett when he, pickett and weiters were strolling into open goal? I understand in a poor team and when already losing you might be tempted to look after your own back, but would love the team first vibe that was getting around last year to come back
Honestly, we didn't have enough blokes astutely picking when to crash in and when to run ahead to provide an option; Murphy was a prime example as well.

Kicked 2 others for the night other than the one you mentioned and got rubbish service from our clearance group.

Geez Matty is a really, really handy little player. Absolute ripper pick up, as we know.

I reckon he does his best work when the whole team is up and about. And I don't mean he's a downhill skier, he always tries his hardest, but when we get the ball in to space and give him room to use his smarts and skills, he's at his best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back