Retired 46. Matthew Wright Announces Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

the day we signed him, a Crow loving mate of mine said he'd be VERY good for us. I was a little dubious....

happy to 100% be proven wrong. Would be top 5-10 in our BnF right now.

Not to bag Ellard who gave everything he had, but Wrighty is sure a handy upgrade in the number 46.

Also for a bloke who isn't overly big his tackles are vice like.

I was convinced we were picking him up for depth and would spend most of his time in the VFL. :$
One of my favourite players so far this year.
IMSMC, the Crowbots seemed to be more pissed off losing Kerridge than Matty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stunned by this guy. I thought we got him for depth. Was surprised to see he brought up his 100th game as I didn't think he had that many under his belt and surprised he has contributed every week and gotten better and better. I thought week 1 and 2 he was filling a spot until someone else who was injured came into the side. Stoked about this acquisition and we have finally had an offseason we can be proud of. Silvagni at the helm has been a masterstroke based on his first year.

He was delisted by Adelaide... can anybody tell me why this is? Was this because they acquired Troy Menzel and he would therefore be behind Betts and Menzel?

He was delisted by Adelaide... can anybody tell me why this is? Was this because they acquired Troy Menzel and he would therefore be behind Betts and Menzel?

Pretty much, he wasn't delisted until they unexpectedly snagged Menzel. He was a bit of a whipping boy over there as he'd come to be played as an ineffectual mid rather than a versatile mid/forward.

EDIT: If the above is correct we can add him to Kerridge and the GWS Four as part of the Menzel supertrade!

Last edited:
Pretty much, he wasn't delisted until they unexpectedly snagged Menzel. He was a bit of a whipping boy over there as he'd come to be played as an ineffectual mid rather than a versatile mid/forward.

EDIT: If the above is correct we can add him to Kerridge and the GWS Four as part of the Menzel supertrade!
News article dates suggest Menzel was traded October 20th and Matthew Wright delisted October 28th. You could very much argue Menzel trade pushed him out.

Only disappointment from Troy-Trade was I didn't manage to get a car out of it. Otherwise, all good I guess.

I don't think so.
Crows swapped a pick and Kerridge for Menzel, a deal that created list space.

Wright would have been cut regardless of the trade as I think they would have kept Kerridge due to his age.

He does seem a bit cleaner and classier than Kerridge. Admittedly kedge is probably more in the thick of things more often, with the differing roles
Agree, slightly different roles. Time's on Kerridge's side and as we've seen with Ed, skill and poise can come later. Kerridge knows how to find the ball though.

I don't think so.
Crows swapped a pick and Kerridge for Menzel, a deal that created list space.

Wright would have been cut regardless of the trade as I think they would have kept Kerridge due to his age.
What are the odds that Adelaide were trying to push a trade of Menzel for Wright + pick? Knowing that they were likely to delist him anyway.
Would be awesome if we squeezed Kerridge out of the deal and then picked up Wright for free anyway.
That's the way I now envision this deal in my head :cool:

Don't forget the pick swap that helped us secure McHarry.

Truly the trade that keeps on giving. Apart from thy's missing car...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back