Delisted #46: Mitchell Hibberd - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Merrett and Parish can rotate through the forward line and Heppell is good at cleaning up a kick behind the play, it wouldn't be hard to fit someone in.
Parish is no good as a forward. He should be mid or nothing from now on.

He’s a fantastic kick for goal. Crumbs well. Very opportunistic. How do you figure he’s no good forward?
He played his first year in the midfield due to a lack of options and looked very very good. He then spent the next 2.5 years playing predominantly as a forward and looked lost at times. When moving back into the midfield halfway through this year he looked at home again.

Being a good kick at goal doesn’t automatically make you a good forward.

He played his first year in the midfield due to a lack of options and looked very very good. He then spent the next 2.5 years playing predominantly as a forward and looked lost at times. When moving back into the midfield halfway through this year he looked at home again.

No doubt his main role is a mid, but he’s more than handy in forward relief role.

Anyway. Hibberd thread.

Do people see him starting in the 22 or not? I think someone like him is prime for a similar role that Hocking and Myers (before he was cooked) did for Watson. I really hope he plays round 1.

Anyway. Hibberd thread.

Do people see him starting in the 22 or not? I think someone like him is prime for a similar role that Hocking and Myers (before he was cooked) did for Watson. I really hope he plays round 1.

Not a chance.

Only gets a look due to injury.

Shouldn't be the case but as if we'd apply the veil of ignorance to selection when we have so many "A grade" mids.

Again it's equal parts compliment of Hibberd and criticism of the midfield generally. Hibberd would be the best option we have as a first touch distributor/inside mid.

Last edited:
Anyway. Hibberd thread.

I think he’s a real chance, it would mean someone like Langford or Laverde misses out, but if Hibberd can have a good preseason and if our coaches want to change things up they way they seem to, we might see a midfield with some balance to it.

Effectively we should have Hibberd or Clarke playing an inside role as a team oriented negator - blocker - first possession type to facilitate Merrett, McGrath and Shiel being able to get it on the move.

We looked a far better side when Clarke was in the middle and playing well offering our other mids some protection, Hibberd should be able to do the same kind of thing.

I expect Hibberd would get the nod over Townsend if either are selected for round one - Better to go with the player who has more development and better midfield craft.

He's not Dev Smith when he goes forward, but when he does he applies plenty of pressure and he can kick goals now. He's handy up forward when he needs to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Daniher plays alongside Stringer and McKernan, I don't see how Langford or Laverde play, and therefore Townsend either. If Hibberd plays mid better than Langford, Laverde and Townsend, he surely plays, rotating through the middle with Stringer.

Of those three, I hope the arrival of Hibberd, Cuts and Towny causes Langford to pull his finger out. I still believe, I'm probably naive.

If Daniher plays alongside Stringer and McKernan, I don't see how Langford or Laverde play, and therefore Townsend either. If Hibberd plays mid better than Langford, Laverde and Townsend, he surely plays, rotating through the middle with Stringer.

Of those three, I hope the arrival of Hibberd, Cuts and Towny causes Langford to pull his finger out. I still believe, I'm probably naive.

Your naive with Langford

I don't see him as a player who you question his effort and want. I'm just not sure he's that great especially as an inside mid. Id have more hope as a genuine winger or mobile forward

But yeh agree I wouldn't want to be much taller than Daniher, McKernan, Stringer but I think Laverde offers enough mobility as the 7th fwd which is a spot up for grabs

Your naive with Langford

I don't see him as a player who you question his effort and want. I'm just not sure he's that great especially as an inside mid. Id have more hope as a genuine winger or mobile forward

But yeh agree I wouldn't want to be much taller than Daniher, McKernan, Stringer but I think Laverde offers enough mobility as the 7th fwd which is a spot up for grabs

Langford I see being able to do the role Mitch Brown played as a high half forward / wing. He's got the height to offer a marking target, is decent enough on-ball to link up or halve a contest at ground level, and generally uses it well kicking i50 or from a set shot on goal.

Townsend is a different kind of player, Laverde and Townsend I see being more similar types.

Laverde offers enough mobility as the 7th fwd which is a spot up for grabs
I've been watching some replays (vs GWS and Sydney), Laverde needs A LOT of improvement in his goal kicking. With Mitch Hibberd, I can see how he fits into a best 22 side (there are questions as to whether he does or not), but Laverde is a low possession player who wastes opportunities at goal.

I know you weren't comparing the players in your post, but I have just been watching him (Laverde) kick some absolute shockers.

Laverde needs improvement with basically everything. Can't tell if people are trolling when they mention him as if he's close to best 22.

Hibberd looks like a unit. I expect him and Parish to be at the coalface a lot for us this year.

I think if Mitch Hibberds picked it's in a pure midfield role and not taking Laverdes spot as a forward

I'd like to see a battle of Langford, Townsend, Laverde, Snelling, Cahill for the last fwd spot

Your naive with Langford

When a player of Langford's size squibs the contest or seems loathe to tackle, I don't know how you can't question his effort and want. I think he'd play better as a half-forward/high half-forward, but what I hope is that bringing in players like Townsend and Hibberd brings out the competitor in Langford and finally causes him to harden up. He's been soft since we drafted him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back