Delisted #46: Mitchell Hibberd - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Has there been some further bad news? Just wondering one reference to these two posts today, considering this happened 2 weeks ago
It got bumped and I remembered he's injured and I got sad. Plus he'll at a minimum miss the first pre season game

Started running yesterday, 2-3 weeks away from full training.

New recruit Mitch Hibberd is also not far from returning to training following successful knee surgery in late January.

“Mitch should be back in the next couple of weeks, he’s doing extremely well.

“He started running yesterday, so we expect him to have a fairly quick build over the next two or three weeks.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have to be frustrated.

Reckon that if fit he'd be in for Heppell.
I mean according to the above he's in full training, but I agree, if he'd played either pre-season match he'd be a red hot chance early.

I mean according to the above he's in full training, but I agree, if he'd played either pre-season match he'd be a red hot chance early.
There's a VFL praccy the same week as round 1.

I doubt Hepp is back by week 2 if he has ruled himself out for next week. If Hibberd plays vs Box Hill and has a good showing he could still have shot early.

Though as I see it I would play both in the same team, they bring different skills to the table

I doubt Hepp is back by week 2 if he has ruled himself out for next week. If Hibberd plays vs Box Hill and has a good showing he could still have shot early.

Though as I see it I would play both in the same team, they bring different skills to the table
Good team to have a praccy against too. Deluca, Maginness, Mynott, amongst others. Strong inside contingent there.

True but he'd be much more likely had he played the 3 AFL practice matches.

I suspect he's in the situation where he would need to force his way in. I expect we'd just as soon replace Heppell with someone like Snelling at this stage.

True but he'd be much more likely had he played the 3 AFL practice matches.
Well, yeah (as would anyone)
We can all agree on that.

I suspect he's in the situation where he would need to force his way in. I expect we'd just as soon replace Heppell with someone like Snelling at this stage.
Probably, although Hibberd is at the disadvantage of being out of the AFL system for 15 months and only being at the club 4 months whilst Snelling (or another player) has had a full off-season.

The reality is though if Hibberd produced what he did at VFL level last year, he won't be on the outside looking in for too long. His size and clearance work is a combo we just don't have currently and would certainly provide something useful if he is in form.

Last edited:
He's fit, and I hope he's available. Although it's not the same as going against Kennedy/Parker he usually went head-to-head with players like Clarke, Meadows, Gribble and all the best inside mids of the opposition in the VFL last year, and won 90% of the time.

Seems like the kind of player we have desperately needed against the Swans for years now. Too often Parker and Kennedy do what they like in the middle against us. The Swans, more than most other teams, highlight our lack-of-midfield-size troubles perfectly.

He hasn't played in a win at the top level yet. All his games were in 2017 and he lost against Eagles, Gold Coast (ouch), Fremantle (ouch) and Port (where he obviously injured himself, only 7% TOG).

Feel free to blame me if/when he plays and we lose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back