Delisted #46: Mitchell Hibberd - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what he could have done in the middle anyway. He was in enough of the play without being in the center bounce.

It's the freedom to hunt the ball rather than guard against the break the wingers are required to do.

You take a bloke as a inside mid whose craft was developed at the lower level, absent the AFL intensity.

You then ask him to play what is probably the most difficult role on the ground at the same time that he's trying to test what made him re-draftable.

We're not even giving him a chance. Yes he's only a rookie but that's how we've decided to limit ourselves. Why are we so complacent about just wasting available talent? How would you even begin to justify that in any other professional industry?

Last edited:

Hardly, he was a bloody rookie list pickup
He was picked up after being the dominant inside midfielder in the VFL. He was mostly played on a wing

He was picked up after being the dominant inside midfielder in the VFL. He was mostly played on a wing
The way he was played was just ridiculous and makes zero sense to me. He was drafted off the back of that inside midfielder work, then was never played there. I don't even think you can blame the a disconnect between list management and coaches - it was pretty obvious how to use him. I understand that the skills of the VFL may not translate, but we never got to find out. He busted himself to get a second chance and you could hear the emotion in his voice when he was drafted. I blame the coaches for blowing his second chance. May as well at least had a look, in a season that was already stuffed.

In one of his first games, fumbled a simple mark and wasn't clean with his hands. When you have a lack of athleticism you need to be elite in that part of the game.

Could not be trusted from that point. Had his chance but its a tough game. Just another very good VFL footballer that is not quite up to the mark at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This really annoys me.

What was the point if we were not going to give him an opportunity to play on ball.

Looks like the "hard decisions" are being made.

The 5 minutes he got a run through the middle against Adelaide I thought he looked pretty good.

This was always going to happen and it was the right call, but we never really gave him the chance to succeed. All the best Mitch.

Eh, is a good VFL player but that looks about it. Not up the speed of the AFL. Granted we didn't help his development, but was that really to be expected?

Should have been given an opportunity to play the David Myers role. Provide blocks and protection for guys like Shiel, McGrath and Merrett. The type of stuff that basically no other midfielder at Essendon does.

Instead we played him in every other role. Classic Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back