Delisted #46: Mitchell Hibberd - Not offered a contract for 2021

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
And what if Mitch hasn’t improved to become a bonafide AFL standard inside mid?

We go to the draft next year and take another mature aged in hope they are that years Tim Kelly?

Miffed we haven’t doubled down on an inside mid for years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reckon Hibberd has as much chance of succeeding as any inside mid that was available from our first pick onwards

not much to complain about really, reckon we have the right man at a decent price

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

We go to the draft next year and take another mature aged in hope they are that years Tim Kelly?

We're committed to Dyl Clarke, Langford, Mutch, Snelling and probably Begley as inside mids in reserve for 2020.

It's not just 1 player on the list. If at the end of next year we move on 2 or 3 of these options we'll replace them.

I am not sure that weight of numbers recruiting actually achieves anything.

It's open for debate that Hibberd might not be the best option we could have but I think he's probably number 2.

He's probably now inside mid 1 or 2 in the VFL which gives him all the advantages in terms of game time and positioning.

It's the same principle that applies most obviously to ruckman. Trying to split ruck time between 3 guys in the reserves is not going to help any of them which is why you want someone who can play forward and why you wouldn't bother with 5 on a list (unless you have dual position players).

Lore
With Johnson going on the LTI that means we get an additional SSP as well yeah, so we can bring in two more guys?

Or have I got that wrong.
He will be counted on the senior list for list lodgement purposes, and the rookie list will be sized accordingly. Otherwise when he comes off the LTI list the numbers would be all stuffed up.

I think we can put him on the LTI list at the conclusion of the rookie draft, after list lodgement.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
I get the scary feeling this mythical big bodied inside mid has almost become a panacea to our ills.... And when we still fail it will be exposed a crappy excuse that we used to make ourselves feel better.

Oh, we would be top 4 if we had a big bodied inside mid.

I'm afraid it's not that simple. Ask those teams with 5 inside mids that only ask for outside run .. if only we had some outside run!!!

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Myers used to collect 25-30 disposals a game as a VFL inside mid. So did Langford many times. Happy to take with rookie pick and adds depth but don’t expect much next season.
In fairness Hibberd is far more athletic than Myers has been for 6-7 years and looks to translate better to senior level

Rusty Buckets

Team Captain
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As a Williamstown member I feel Mitch will be a real acquisition for your club. Credit must go to Andrew Collins for transforming Mitch from a 'flanker' into a bona fide, inside mid who excelled at winning first possession and putting teammates into space. I can see him playing Round One.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Myers used to collect 25-30 disposals a game as a VFL inside mid. So did Langford many times. Happy to take with rookie pick and adds depth but don’t expect much next season.

True.

However not all possessions are the same.

Myers could not handball the ball so while he waa as strong as Hibberd his schtique only worked in the VFL where he was a man among boys.

Langford has no physicality to his game.

Hibberd is basically a cross between the two players though I don't think he has Myers class by foot or the touch Langford displayed on 2018.

Throw in an engine that was 15.10 ish beep test and low 6 min for 2k and there is a lot to work with.

He's a better prospect as an inside mid than anyone we currently have in reserve.

Forgot that if we doubled down we're guaranteed to pick up a superstar.

Very happy with this. With a good pre-season would be a good chance of lining up for round 1.
Especially with our past habits of playing every single tall player that we have available on account of injuries. If he's healthy in round 1 it would have to be a distinct possibility.

Back