Delisted #46: Mitchell Hibberd - Not offered a contract for 2021

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I get the scary feeling this mythical big bodied inside mid has almost become a panacea to our ills.... And when we still fail it will be exposed a crappy excuse that we used to make ourselves feel better.

Oh, we would be top 4 if we had a big bodied inside mid.

I'm afraid it's not that simple. Ask those teams with 5 inside mids that only ask for outside run .. if only we had some outside run!!!
Agreed it's not everything, but if we combine some more hardnut extraction with better "forward" pressure (ie all over the ground pressure) then we are making progress. It's not enough to just push numbers to all contests, you need some quality first hands and brutality too.

Rutten and Cara surely will be focused on manic intensity at the ball and opposition - the Richmond way. Dev Smith back and Hibberd in should help.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
He will be counted on the senior list for list lodgement purposes, and the rookie list will be sized accordingly. Otherwise when he comes off the LTI list the numbers would be all stuffed up.

I think we can put him on the LTI list at the conclusion of the rookie draft, after list lodgement.
So we have three rookies (Snelling, McQuillan, Hibberd) and then Townsend on December 1 makes 4.

Once we make our final list lodgment, we put Johnson on the LTI and get another SSP that can be used up until a few weeks before round 1?

So we have three rookies (Snelling, McQuillan, Hibberd) and then Townsend on December 1 makes 4.

Once we make our final list lodgment, we put Johnson on the LTI and get another SSP that can be used up until a few weeks before round 1?
The LTI list doesn't work like that. I think it's not the LTI list though, I think it might be the 'inactive' list? I don't know much about that one but I think that's what they do with players who have like cancer or a really horrendous leg break or something.

A bit of googling brought up this:

It's in the context of the mid-season draft but having a registered inactive player does seem to free up an extra rookie spot.

Inactive also seems to include early retirements, I guess they're still on the official list lodged with the AFL even though they aren't actually playing.

Is he available to play from round 1 or will we need to upgrade him after a LTI?
He's a Category A rookie, doesn't need to be upgraded can just play

darrenbewick#8

Team Captain
Jul 31, 2013
on top
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, FC Barcelona
Dodo the dud passed Up on Jake Riccardi who would have been perfect and Ryan Byrnes a clearance beast inside mid from sandy dragons exactly what we needed when he had pick #50 and not doing his homework traded the pick away lol!

darrenbewick#8

Team Captain
Jul 31, 2013
on top
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
How many spots on our list left? Does anyone know ? We lost 12 in retirements and delistings and gained 7 in trades and the drafts + 2 irish international rookies is that right?

How many spots on our list left? Does anyone know ? We lost 12 in retirements and delistings and gained 7 in trades and the drafts + 2 irish international rookies is that right?
I suspect you haven't been reading this thread. TheGrizz was mentioning our list size just a few posts up, and we have a whole discussion going in the Draft Watch thread here:

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Too slow, that joke's been done :)
unnamed (1).gif

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Dodo the dud passed Up on Jake Riccardi who would have been perfect and Ryan Byrnes a clearance beast inside mid from sandy dragons exactly what we needed when he had pick #50 and not doing his homework traded the pick away lol!
I actually thought that was a good trade. Grabbed 63, a future Third and a future Fourth. We don’t have a future second or third but we grabbed Geelongs, and got a future Fourth of West Coast too. Considering we have a few NGA’s rated top 50 we will need the points.

darrenbewick#8

Team Captain
Jul 31, 2013
on top
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
T
I actually thought that was a good trade. Grabbed 63, a future Third and a future Fourth. We don’t have a future second or third but we grabbed Geelongs, and got a future Fourth of West Coast too. Considering we have a few NGA’s rated top 50 we will need the points.
Time will tell I guess

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
The LTI list doesn't work like that. I think it's not the LTI list though, I think it might be the 'inactive' list? I don't know much about that one but I think that's what they do with players who have like cancer or a really horrendous leg break or something.

A bit of googling brought up this:

It's in the context of the mid-season draft but having a registered inactive player does seem to free up an extra rookie spot.

Inactive also seems to include early retirements, I guess they're still on the official list lodged with the AFL even though they aren't actually playing.
What would that mean for the 'extra' player when the injured player is finally 'active' again? Is he released?

What would that mean for the 'extra' player when the injured player is finally 'active' again? Is he released?
Yes, essentially. That's why you have to be certain they won't be back. And in a case like Johnson that's smart

Back