South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
not for me this selection.
surely a genuine mid needed to be taken here
i was hoping for Reynolds from sandy here

Kok has potential and upside, Dea is the perplexing one for mine. Genuine depth in a position we are flush in is hardly good list management imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duckdog

All Australian
May 17, 2010
upper hiawatha
AFL Club
Essendon
View attachment 587995

After hearing more about him and doing some research I’m actually pretty happy with this pick, looks to be a committed kid with heaps of upside and a bonus with her versatility to play multiple roles if needed. Him being a bombers supporter aswell makes me stoked for him.

If we don't win a final soon we won't be able to draft someone that barracks for us, thus meaning we will pass after first round

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Have seen a bit of Jok playing for the mighty SKOB and for Collingwood VFL. He’s essentially exactly what you want on your rookie list - athletically gifted, can play multiple roles, needs some polishing up and footy nous.

No certainty but people have carved decent careers with less tools than what he possesses - he is freakishly athletic.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
YcdC.gif

This is the first thing I thought of.

The athletic feats this guys is capable of...FMD.

Feels like it's a great punt to take. He'll be a player of tremendous versatility if he makes it.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Fairly certain he's out of the Laverde/Langford crop but he was painfully skinny, raw and not ready up until about this year.
Started this year playing VAFA for SKOB and ended it playing VFL for Collingwood and playing quite well as a wing/ruck/wherever else.

Interesting tit for tat given the Saints too Hind (RIP) and Jok was training with them and won their time trial a couple of weeks ago.

I quite like him, I'm just not sure what he is

I'd start him playing as a "small defender" and develop from there.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Really like this selection. I feel like we've almost drafted him a year early with his athleticism and quick progression this year he could quite conceivably played himself into a National Draft spot next year had he not been picked up .

Kok has potential and upside, Dea is the perplexing one for mine. Genuine depth in a position we are flush in is hardly good list management imho

The Dea selection is easy to understand.
Goddard gone.
Francis still to get through a full season.Looks like a super star but still has to play a full season.
Ambrose. Injuries in the last 3 seasons.
Gleeson. Coming back from a serious injury.
Redman. Still to play a full season because of injury.
Ridley. Only played 4 games.
Zerk. Has not played yet.
That flush list of players still has to answer a lot of questions. If needed Dea can play and do a better than average job. I hope we do not need him but how bad would it look if our back up was a first year rookie ?
Very good list management for mine. Get some reliable cover until your young blokes are actually established.

Pevers-Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2002
Like Anyone Cares
AFL Club
Essendon
The Dea selection is easy to understand.
Goddard gone.
Francis still to get through a full season.Looks like a super star but still has to play a full season.
Ambrose. Injuries in the last 3 seasons.
Gleeson. Coming back from a serious injury.
Redman. Still to play a full season because of injury.
Ridley. Only played 4 games.
Zerk. Has not played yet.
That flush list of players still has to answer a lot of questions. If needed Dea can play and do a better than average job. I hope we do not need him but how bad would it look if our back up was a first year rookie ?
Very good list management for mine. Get some reliable cover until your young blokes are actually established.
Good summary ant and I am sure he is probably a good clubman too given his attitude on the track, so will be a good player to continue to have around the club.

As for Jok - going speculative with rookies is surely a large part of what it should be used for. Low risk (rookie) high reward type players if they make it.

Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea

7EEBBED5-E6F9-491F-BCB1-1FE7167CFF4A.jpeg

Doug Hogan 23

Cancelled
Apr 9, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Dodoro is a visionary for picking Tommy, the kid has all of the tools, just needed an opportunity. He’s a ripping kid to boot, would leave home every day at 6.15 in Pakenham just to get to school, now that’s commitment!
He was also made an officer at St Kevin’s College in year 12, which is no mean feat at that school.
He’s a back to back VAFA A Grade premiership player and also won the ‘Spirit of the Big V’ award in the thrashing of Vic Country by the VAFA.
Go well Jokky!

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Good summary ant and I am sure he is probably a good clubman too given his attitude on the track, so will be a good player to continue to have around the club.

As for Jok - going speculative with rookies is surely a large part of what it should be used for. Low risk (rookie) high reward type players if they make it.

Going speculative?

Think only a dozen non - AFL posted guys were taken in the rookie draft

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Dodoro is a visionary for picking Tommy, the kid has all of the tools, just needed an opportunity. He’s a ripping kid to boot, would leave home every day at 6.15 in Pakenham just to get to school, now that’s commitment!
He was also made an officer at St Kevin’s College in year 12, which is no mean feat at that school.
He’s a back to back VAFA A Grade premiership player and also won the ‘Spirit of the Big V’ award in the thrashing of Vic Country by the VAFA.
Go well Jokky!

Here here doug. Not raw in my view.. ready to play and has talent to burn.

Old man fletch

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
E and R aren’t even that close to I and S on the keyboard, auto correct works in mysterious ways
All good, figured autocorrect was to blame but gave me a good chuckle when I saw it.

I mostly lurk here and only post occasionally, but thanks for all the info and writeups in the lead up to the draft. Greatly appreciated

Knox Harrington

Club Legend
May 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
By AFL posted you mean? Sorry I don't understand.
i think he is saying majority players rookie drafted were afl listed.
Numbers as follows
40 players taken
- 22 were on afl lists (includes K Tippett and W Langford who are listed for contract reasons)
- 1 NEAFL
- 4 SANFL
- 5 TAC Cup
- 4 VFL
- 4 WAFL
Some of the young fresh talent rookie drafted includes
32 yo Michael Rischitelli
30 yo Tim Mohr

We are culprits as well drafting Matt Dea

Unfazed

All Australian
Oct 6, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Just saw his interview and if I wasn’t fully convinced now I guess I am now, impressive kid who I’m confident will play senior football for us sooner than later. Just seeing his progress from the 18s he could reach even greater heights in an AFL program

Very impressive interview. Seems the most mature of the four. The way he spoke reminds me of McGrath's early interviews.

Back