Play Nice 46th President of the United States: Joe Biden (1) O Brave New World

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for articulating a point rather than just disagreeing because you felt that I was a poster you're meant to disagree with.

That's certainly an argument for sanctions, but kind of a monstrous one (essentially creating a modern equivalent of a besieged city, which is itself an act of warfare).

Sanctions, in the way they're carried out at least, punish the people least responsible for a crime. It's arguably breaking human rights law and illegal under the UN charter. It also gives significant power to powerful countries, particularly the US, to wield despotic power over countries that don't act as they would prefer (see Cuba).

Diplomacy should always be the step of first preference, and unfortunately it's increasingly a word being used by warmongers as synonymous with appeasement.
The problem is with this is, what are the solutions here?

Sanctions is a lever to pull, and dealing dipomatically with Putin's Russia seems far fetched at best.

Diplomacy in this case would be giving Russia part of Ukraine, if they really really promise to be nice from now on. This seems like appeasement to me.

The side you are coming from is US = bad warmongers, and them being in any conflict is always bad, all the time. This isn't like the Iraq or even Afghanistan situations. Russia have shown they wont stop and want to continue to expand (i. e. get the soviet band back together, though in fascist not communist form). US supporting Ukraine and not putting troops on the ground I think is the ideal middle ground here. Yea we

Maybe you could say hey Russia take Crimea, but Ukraine now part of NATO.

I also think behind the scenes many Americans are talking to people in or around the Kremlin, as their info has been very bang on throughout this conflict, so there must be Kremlin leakers.

So what would you like to see happen? I mean if the US at the start said "meh not our problem" and let it just play out how would of that been better? Chances are more lives would of been lost.

Thanks for articulating a point rather than just disagreeing because you felt that I was a poster you're meant to disagree with.

That's certainly an argument for sanctions, but kind of a monstrous one (essentially creating a modern equivalent of a besieged city, which is itself an act of warfare).

Sanctions, in the way they're carried out at least, punish the people least responsible for a crime. It's arguably breaking human rights law and illegal under the UN charter. It also gives significant power to powerful countries, particularly the US, to wield despotic power over countries that don't act as they would prefer (see Cuba).

Diplomacy should always be the step of first preference, and unfortunately it's increasingly a word being used by warmongers as synonymous with appeasement.
And exactly how does one do diplomacy without something to bargain with? The USA has no leverage in Sudan without sanctions

Gee the migrant situation is the USA is bad. Watching many of them being interviewed don't think that many would qualify as genuine migrants.
One of the first things they mention is they want to earn money to send home.

Going to be very messy and vote loss if they don't get a handle on it.

Seems that neither party handle it well and neither want to get together to find a solution.

The problem is with this is, what are the solutions here?

Sanctions is a lever to pull, and dealing dipomatically with Putin's Russia seems far fetched at best.

Diplomacy in this case would be giving Russia part of Ukraine, if they really really promise to be nice from now on. This seems like appeasement to me.

The side you are coming from is US = bad warmongers, and them being in any conflict is always bad, all the time. This isn't like the Iraq or even Afghanistan situations. Russia have shown they wont stop and want to continue to expand (i. e. get the soviet band back together, though in fascist not communist form). US supporting Ukraine and not putting troops on the ground I think is the ideal middle ground here. Yea we

Maybe you could say hey Russia take Crimea, but Ukraine now part of NATO.

I also think behind the scenes many Americans are talking to people in or around the Kremlin, as their info has been very bang on throughout this conflict, so there must be Kremlin leakers.

So what would you like to see happen? I mean if the US at the start said "meh not our problem" and let it just play out how would of that been better? Chances are more lives would of been lost.

My post was about Sudan, not Russia, but I'll speak broadly. I'll say that, of course, solutions aren't easy. If Trump takes the presidency again and becomes the fascist many fear, there's not an easy global solution for "what to do when a powerful nation goes rogue?", which we've never really come to a concrete answer to. But I wouldn't support a collective punishment to the American people for their having a terrible government.

There was actually an excellent article about it in Jacobin recently that I would probably quote from liberally to make a long post, so I'll just link it here.

Gee the migrant situation is the USA is bad. Watching many of them being interviewed don't think that many would qualify as genuine migrants.
One of the first things they mention is they want to earn money to send home.

Going to be very messy and vote loss if they don't get a handle on it.

Seems that neither party handle it well and neither want to get together to find a solution.

Strange post, and not what I expected from a liberal poster - not genuine migrants??

Migrants, like any of us, are free to use their money as they wish, and many migrants from poorer nations will send a lot of the money they earn in a wealthier country to support their family back home.

What kind of a handle on it do you think governments should be doing?

Strange post, and not what I expected from a liberal poster - not genuine migrants??

Migrants, like any of us, are free to use their money as they wish, and many migrants from poorer nations will send a lot of the money they earn in a wealthier country to support their family back home.

What kind of a handle on it do you think governments should be doing?

I think Maggie might have used migrant instead of refugee.

I think Maggie might have used migrant instead of refugee.

Right right.

Well, it'd be nice to see the interviews, but also would be nice if liberals didn't buy in to conservative narratives about "solving" the government-imposed crisis.

Upping your life and moving to a different country, away from family, friends, familiarity and support networks is extremely difficult and expensive. With the way the United States has treated South and Central America, essentially making it impossible for people living there to continue living there and leaving them with the only option of moving to the country behind their misery, attempts to stop people from coming in are unnecessarily cruel. They're also knowingly futile - both parties want to keep that source of cheap exploitable labour to come in, but also want the migrants to feel fear of being arrested and deported if they try to do anything about their exploitation.

There are options - letting Latin American nations grow their own wealth, allowing more freedom of movement, improving labour laws so that they punish the exploiter rather than the exploited, but these aren't in the interests of donors. So instead the left chases the right on the issue but never come up with a way to torture ordinary, innocent people enough to satisfy those who would happily plant minefields along the US-Mexico border.

Right right.

Well, it'd be nice to see the interviews, but also would be nice if liberals didn't buy in to conservative narratives about "solving" the government-imposed crisis.

Upping your life and moving to a different country, away from family, friends, familiarity and support networks is extremely difficult and expensive. With the way the United States has treated South and Central America, essentially making it impossible for people living there to continue living there and leaving them with the only option of moving to the country behind their misery, attempts to stop people from coming in are unnecessarily cruel. They're also knowingly futile - both parties want to keep that source of cheap exploitable labour to come in, but also want the migrants to feel fear of being arrested and deported if they try to do anything about their exploitation.

There are options - letting Latin American nations grow their own wealth, allowing more freedom of movement, improving labour laws so that they punish the exploiter rather than the exploited, but these aren't in the interests of donors. So instead the left chases the right on the issue but never come up with a way to torture ordinary, innocent people enough to satisfy those who would happily plant minefields along the US-Mexico border.
Back to the pre-covid days.
Just got to download the CBP One app and follow the correct 'pathways'.
Looks like a lot of pain for Central/South Americans trying for a better life.

Long but interesting article.
Title 42 Expires As New Border Restrictions Announced, Biden Warns AMLO 'Border Will Be Chaotic for a While'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She's not great at the whole "pretending to be a real person" thing.
Wouldn't take too much notice of the tweet.

I first saw it at RNC Research who specialize in putting together unflattering clips of the Dems and wouldn't be surprised if manipulated as the seems a lag in the middle. Haven't seen it elsewhere. A lot of unflattering videos of Biden as well.

They state on their page:
Exposing the lies, hypocrisy, and failed far-left policies of Joe Biden and the Democrat Party. Managed by the Republican National Committee.

On the right it suggests you may also like the twitter pages of MTG, Tucker and Boebert.

We're going to hear the phrase Constitutional republic a lot more.
On US news today, they stated 11 States have made it harder for that age group to vote.

Red States of course.

I was just reading how three major donors who were going to support De Santis had a meeting with that guy.

We're going to hear the phrase Constitutional republic a lot more.
I thought the rallying cry of their whole independence was "no taxation without representation"?
If anything, they should be lowering the age to include anyone who pays tax.

I thought the rallying cry of their whole independence was "no taxation without representation"?
If anything, they should be lowering the age to include anyone who pays tax.
Those 9 year olds at Maccas are going to be so happy

Logan Paul for Prez
200.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back