Play Nice 46th President of the United States: Joe Biden (1) O Brave New World

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think everyone would agree its a sh*t situation, but I'm not sure what the short term alternative is for unaccompanied kids.

Trump admin started a policy to separate kids from their parents ie. they were the ones making them "unaccompanied". This wasn't the case previously and deserved every bit of criticism it got.

"Kids in cages" is a catchy (and convenient for some) tagline, but the idea that's what the outrage was about re: Trump is a bit of a furphy.

There's always better options, just not the political will for them. A kinder and gentler imprisonment remains imprisonment. The kids can't leave.

I know in Australia there's almost an acceptance of this kind of thing because the mistreatment of asylum seekers has become something we've become accustomed to, with neither party of Government likely to change it. But this is exactly how it begins, with the more progressive Democrats adopting an inhumane policy that the Republicans will never drop (unless the sheer weight of outrage causes it, as Trump found when building on Obama's policies).

Trump deported less people than Obama did. The funding required for arrests and deportation of criminals for ICE was insufficient to do the same level of work as under Obama.

The immigrant deportation rhetoric of Trump was actually not matched by facts.... but then Trumpies bought the lies.

AXIOS is a right wing publication, this isn’t a lefty station like FOX (sfellow).

To be clear, we know the deportations are a bad thing, yes?

There's always better options, just not the political will for them. A kinder and gentler imprisonment remains imprisonment. The kids can't leave.
But they’re kids.

They are being hooked up with sponsors it seems, who they live with while immigration is being processed.

It’s not good, but it looks like they are generally trying to care for them.

I know in Australia there's almost an acceptance of this kind of thing because the mistreatment of asylum seekers has become something we've become accustomed to, with neither party of Government likely to change it. But this is exactly how it begins, with the more progressive Democrats adopting an inhumane policy that the Republicans will never drop (unless the sheer weight of outrage causes it, as Trump found when building on Obama's policies).

Agree completely.

So seeing as we're in agreement that there simply isn't the political will to change things on either side, we're still left with Trump as being the one that ratcheted up an already s**t situation to make it even worse. The criticism was deserved any way you slice it - as is criticism of Obama for adopting said inhumane base level policy in the first place I guess, but the idea that Biden should be getting the same criticism Trump did still remains a furphy. He simply isn't doing what Trump did.

Why is biden stopping operation talon?

Snopes is saying it was done within ICE. Apparently questions if it was even implemented.

More info needed, but first question is have is talon just replicating stuff that was already being done. It's not like the USA only started investigating these crimes the day talon was announced

Do you feign the same concerns for the Biloela Tamil family?

Do you feign the same concerns for the Biloela Tamil family?

I'm not sure why you think I'm disingenuous on this (and, from many of your replies to me, apparently most things!).

Yes, I think the Australian response to asylum seekers is absolutely horrendous, and I despair that I don't see on the horizon any end to an inhumane and evil system.

Why is biden stopping operation talon?

Doesn't seem like it was Biden's call from available info, which admittedly is pretty limited at this stage. Not specifically at least.

In a letter to Biden last Thursday, 18 state attorney generals pushed back on the alleged policy reversal by arguing that it creates "a perverse incentive for foreign sexual predators to seek to enter the United States illegally and assault more victims."
But did Biden actually cancel Operation Talon? The letter goes on to note that ICE may have canceled the plan itself in response to a Jan. 20 memo sent by Biden to the Department of Homeland Security which called for "a stay on nearly all interior immigration enforcement."

A Washington Post report also quoted a senior ICE official who said the Biden administration had nothing to do with the decision to cancel Operation Talon.

Heavily left biased site but solid record on factual reporting, make of it what you will I suppose.

Doesn't seem like it was Biden's call from available info, which admittedly is pretty limited at this stage. Not specifically at least.

Heavily left biased site but solid record on factual reporting, make of it what you will I suppose.
Misbar reports the same

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back