Play Nice 46th President of the United States: Joe Biden (1) O Brave New World

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toys out of the cot again

Over on the conspirarcy board? Yep, thats what I'm saying.

With some amazing projection thrown in
Still behaving like a 2 yr old since 2016
Unlike you a 2 yr old from then would be about 7 and would have forgotten all about the kinder surprise tbey didn't get in 2016

I mean, you can keep saying these things coz you're upset about me pointing out your hypocrisy - at some stage you'll need to provide an example though. I think my posting has been pretty level-headed considering the drivel I'm replying to, the above being a prime example.

5 years of actkng like a 2 yr old cannot be good for you
Sure so go back and find those posts from 4,3 and 2 years ago

Happy to say I questioned Trump's fitness for office - happier to be proved right.

His handling of covid plus election year brought me back

But if that's your biggest taunt bring it on invisible boy

Nobody is having a tanty but you. Nobody stormed the Capitol in 2017. Nobody disputed votes

Some of the Russian conspiratorial stuff was indeed an outright claim that the result was tampered with.

I've said this before, but four of the past six US presidential elections have seen a significant section of the opposition claiming the result was illegitimate. From Bush v Gore in 2000 to the birther stuff in 2008 to Russia in 2016 to whatever the hell you want to call this reaction for 2020, there's clearly a crisis of legitimacy in 21st century America. And while I'm not unsympathetic to all those claims of illegitimacy and fraudulent election results, it's in some part probably a deeper reaction to the deeply flawed American democratic system - in that sense people are right to call out the anti-democratic nature of it all, even if they're mostly wrong about how or why.

Some of the Russian conspiratorial stuff was indeed an outright claim that the result was tampered with.

I've said this before, but four of the past six US presidential elections have seen a significant section of the opposition claiming the result was illegitimate. From Bush v Gore in 2000 to the birther stuff in 2008 to Russia in 2016 to whatever the hell you want to call this reaction for 2020, there's clearly a crisis of legitimacy in 21st century America. And while I'm not unsympathetic to all those claims of illegitimacy and fraudulent election results, it's in some part probably a deeper reaction to the deeply flawed American democratic system - in that sense people are right to call out the anti-democratic nature of it all, even if they're mostly wrong about how or why.

Surely we're not pretending that any illegitimacy claim in the past was anywhere near on par with Trump's schtick.

Surely we're not pretending that any illegitimacy claim in the past was anywhere near on par with Trump's schtick.

I'm not saying that at all (although from a perspective 2000 was the greater outrage because that was what Trump initially tried to copy, and was actually successful, but then Gore's acceptance of that result was the opposite problem of being far too weak).

But I'm saying that the feeling from the losing party that each election result was a lie and illegitimate is only leading to those responding to the loss more hysterical each time, even if the reasoning is completely off the deep end. And there's no clear sign that that will change either for the next election.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not saying that at all (although from a perspective 2000 was the greater outrage because that was what Trump initially tried to copy, and was actually successful, but then Gore's acceptance of that result was the opposite problem of being far too weak).

But I'm saying that the feeling from the losing party that each election result was a lie and illegitimate is only leading to those responding to the loss more hysterical each time, even if the reasoning is completely off the deep end. And there's no clear sign that that will change either for the next election.

I think it's more than that - there's been a complete paradigm shift in US Politics which Trump has accelerated.
Gore stood aside for the greater good and even Nixon resigned ( after much prompting) whereas Trump refused to admit defeat and has repeated preposterous lies ever since.
Honour and Country has taken a back seat to Self Worship , Conspiracy and Cultism under Trump. Bi Partisanship has become redundant.
Biden and Harris have a huge 4 years in front of them...............

I think there is a big difference between claiming literally votes being rigged rather than misinformation being spread online by a foreign power.

2016 was the later, 2020 the former. No one was claiming that Trump was in power cos voting was rigged. CIA came out and said Russians were involved, 34 people around Trump lost their jobs because of it after the Mueller investigation, it wasn’t just some fanciful crap Trump was spinning after November last year.

2008 birther stuff was irrelevant to election, happened much later that claims were made he wasn’t born in US.

2000 was the most legitimately contentious due to the circumstances and being ridiculously close.

So from my perspective only 2000 was the real contentious result, 2016 was something that should of been investigated (and was) but very unknowable if or what impact that had on voters.

Voting processes were improved after 2000 in Florida and foreign interference was clamped down on more after 2016 so I guess that’s progress.

2020, well it’s hard to make changes to things which never happened and just sledged. I mean always look to continue to improve the processes, but republicans are using it as an excuse to try and suppress voting in most cases.

I didn't see much of that - you mean people were claiming Russians actually messed with vote counts? Were they respectable, knowledgeable people or just random fringe bloggers?

I think there is a big difference between claiming literally votes being rigged rather than misinformation being spread online by a foreign power.

2016 was the later, 2020 the former. No one was claiming that Trump was in power cos voting was rigged. CIA came out and said Russians were involved, 34 people around Trump lost their jobs because of it after the Mueller investigation, it wasn’t just some fanciful crap Trump was spinning after November last year.

2008 birther stuff was irrelevant to election, happened much later that claims were made he wasn’t born in US.

2000 was the most legitimately contentious due to the circumstances and being ridiculously close.

So from my perspective only 2000 was the real contentious result, 2016 was something that should of been investigated (and was) but very unknowable if or what impact that had on voters.

Voting processes were improved after 2000 in Florida and foreign interference was clamped down on more after 2016 so I guess that’s progress.

2020, well it’s hard to make changes to things which never happened and just sledged. I mean always look to continue to improve the processes, but republicans are using it as an excuse to try and suppress voting in most cases.

The GOP must make sure that all city votes are reduced in whatever way they can because all those votes are fraudulent. The voter either got duped into voting for liberals; bribed by liberals; is complicit in the liberal government deep state conspiracy; had their vote changed by a complicit voting attendant; OR the voter accidentally put their mark in the wrong spot.

(Sarcasm or reality, you decide.)

Last edited:
I didn't see much of that - you mean people were claiming Russians actually messed with vote counts? Were they respectable, knowledgeable people or just random fringe bloggers?

Neera Tanden, Biden's appointee to the Office of Management and Budget (whose nomination is struggling) and Clinton campaign staffer, said she believed Russia switched votes to Trump.

And a 2018 YouGov poll found 66% of Democrats believed the statement "Russia tampered with vote tallies in order to get Donald Trump elected President" to be true.

The conspiracy theories around Obama's birth began during the primaries against Clinton, but yes, took on a life of their own after he was elected President.

I agree with you that only 2000's result was truly warranting contentiousness, but nonetheless the view of illegitimacy of the winner has been taken up by supporters of the losing party (and, occasionally, the loser themselves). And my point is that this feeling of the loser being wronged doesn't look like going away, as Russia continues to be a bogeyman for many Democrats, meanwhile a range of convoluted and, frankly, batshit conspiracy theories keep buzzing around the Republicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back