Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the implication from that quote is that
1. There are 200k coming across the border in at least one month​
2. It's more than a single month with 200k.​
3. That they are all entering the United States.​
4. They're not tested.​

I don't believe you'll end up standing by any of that.
I don't think you'll even end up standing behind the most generous interpretation of your quote.

------------------------------------------------
This isn't a 'gotcha' or an attack. I hope you'll look into it more thoroughly yourself and either prove me wrong, or reconsider your position and information.
I'll try to include sources where required. If I miss something, let me know.
But please don't just assume I must be wrong, you just can't find the evidence. And please don't just try to rationalise your statement/view around it.

It's a reasonably complicated situation, which makes it ideal to be weaponised. And great media.

And I just want to also address that testing and vaccinating are kind of at the opposite ends of the spectrum.
I'm pretty sure you know this, but a few of your posts seem to conflate them.
And I'd say that ensuring that Customs and Border Protection are either vaccinated, protected or removed from such high risk areas and situations, would be in their best interest.
It's a high risk job, but you avoid the parts you can, and you deal with the parts you can't avoid.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 'untested' part is probably the easier area to start, and can even lead into the 200k.

4. Testing.
Border Patrol is conducting no testing for the coronavirus during the several days that the newly arrived migrants are in U.S. custody except in cases where migrants show obvious symptoms.
U.S. officials say the challenges to testing all the new arrivals when they are first apprehended are insurmountable. There have been no instances of mass spread at U.S. border facilities, and overall numbers of cases are relatively low, according to the Department of Homeland Security. About 5 percent of all single adults and families tested after their release since March showed a positive result, according to the agency, while among the thousands of unaccompanied minors now in custody, the rate has been about 12 percent.​
But local officials and shelter operators said they feared that the actual number of infections could be much higher.​
The operator of several large shelters where migrant children go after their release from border processing said one out of five children at those facilities was showing a positive test result on arrival.​
John Modlin, the interim Border Patrol chief for the Tucson sector, said it took 90 minutes to three hours to process each migrant, including fingerprinting, gathering personal information and running a background check. Testing for the coronavirus and waiting for results would add another 20 minutes, he said.​
“That’s 20 minutes times a thousand people,” Mr. Modlin said. “The Border Patrol does not want to get in the business of testing or inoculating people.”​
Dr. Pritesh Gandhi, the chief medical officer at the Department of Homeland Security, said that “operational limitations” have precluded doing virus testing “on the front end,” but that medical teams are working intensely with nonprofit groups and local officials to make sure migrants are screened immediately and tested later, a strategy that he said was starting to show results with fewer people getting sick.​

It's worth reading the entire article.

So, they are being tested.
The number of people attempting to enter the US has increased, and the Delta variant spreads faster and causes more infections (CDC). Even if found positive, what can be done? Most of the facilities are multiple times over capacity.
It's one of the reason/excuses the Biden presidency has to keep the Title 42 provision.

Now 3. and it will flow into 2. and 1.

There is attempting to cross the border and crossing the border.
It's combined most of the time as things like "attempting entry" and "border crossing attempts" - US Customs and Border Protection

Important info.
(FY21) Fiscal Year 2021 runs October 01, 2020 - September 30, 2021
Title 42 Expulsions - Persons subject to the order are not held in congregate areas for processing and are instead immediately expelled to their country of last transit. (I'll repeat this)

So these are the Southwest Land Border Encounters.
This first graph is probably what you've seen. It clearly appears to show over 200k in July and August.
Blue line, shoots up, over 200k. But this is actually the manipulated data.
And I'll go through why.

View attachment 1254646

So, one of the biggest problems is the terminology, and how it was changed.
Encounters.
Pew Research Center
Migrant encounters refer to two distinct kinds of events:
Apprehensions, in which migrants are taken into custody in the United States to await adjudication.​
Expulsions, in which migrants are immediately expelled to their home country or last country of transit without being held in U.S. custody.​

It is important to note that encounters refer to events, not people, and that some migrants are encountered more than once.
President Donald Trump’s administration invoked Title 42 in March 2020, and now included expulsions in "Encounters".

Title 42 Expulsions - Persons subject to the order are not held in congregate areas for processing and are instead immediately expelled to their country of last transit.

In March of last year Beginning in March FY2020, USBP and OFO Encounter statistics include both Title 8 Apprehensions, Title 8 Inadmissibles, and Title 42

This means that it isn't 200k individuals, it's 200k encounters. (This probably still seems confusing or semantics).

The large number of expulsions during the pandemic has contributed to a larger-than-usual number of migrants making multiple border crossing attempts, which means that total encounters somewhat overstate the number of unique individuals arriving at the border. Thirty-four percent of encounters in June 2021 were individuals who had at least one prior encounter in the previous 12 months. - US Customs and Border Protection

This is the graph, without Title 42 Expulsions. Title 8 Apprehensions and Inadmissibles.

View attachment 1254652

Here is just the Title 42 Expulsions.

View attachment 1254653

The sharp jump in Feb-March 2021?
In early February 2021 the government of Mexico has refused to take back families traveling with children under the age of 7. It has also rejected returns of migrants from outside Central America, who represent a growing number of crossers — many of them from Ecuador and Brazil, countries still hit hard by the coronavirus.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CBP Announces June 2021 Operational Update
Release Date: July 16, 2021
The number of unique individuals encountered to date during the fiscal year is 454,944 compared to 489,760 during the same time period in 2019.
The majority of all June encounters resulted in a Title 42 expulsion.
In Fiscal Year 2021 thru June, CBP conducted 9,500 rescues nationwide, which is 81 percent higher than the total number of rescues in all of Fiscal Year 2020.
Guatemala Advisory Assistance (If done right)

The safety of our workforce, our communities, and individuals in our care is a top priority. CBP personnel put themselves and their families at risk with every encounter at the border. Since the start of the pandemic, more than 8,900 CBP employees have tested positive for COVID-19, and 33 have passed away. CBP is continuing to explore possible adjustments to workforce posture and health protocols based on widespread vaccine access and easing public health metrics.

CBP Releases August 2021 Operational Update
Release Date: September 15, 2021

In August, U.S. Customs and Border Protection played an important role in Operation Allies Refuge and Operation Allies Welcome, as well as in support of the Gulf Coast after Hurricane Ida (2021) and the people of Haiti after their earthquake.
The number of unique encounters in August 2021 was 156,641.
In total, there were 208,887 encounters along the Southwest Border, a 2 percent drop compared to July. Of those, 25 percent involved individuals who had at least one prior encounter in the previous 12 months, compared to an average one-year re-encounter rate of 14 percent for Fiscal Years 2014-2019.
Nearly half (49 percent) of encounters were single adults, with 103,129 encounters in August, a 7 percent decrease compared to July.
93,414 encounters, more than 44 percent of the total, were processed for expulsion under Title 42. 115,473 encounters were processed under Title 8.
76,895 encounters involving single adults (75 percent) were processed for expulsion under Title 42, with 26,234 processed under Title 8.
16,240 encounters involving family unit individuals (19 percent) were processed for expulsion under Title 42, with 70,247 processed under Title 8.
A total of 1,002,722 unique individuals have been encountered year-to-date during Fiscal Year 2021, compared to 851,513 during the same time period in Fiscal Year 2019.

More than 10,900 CBP employees have tested positive for COVID-19.
43 have passed away, eight in the last month.
DHS has developed a partnership model to test and isolate families who test positive for COVID-19, and reimburse 100 percent of the cost, provided that the state does not stand in the way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The number of children in CBP custody fell from 5,767 at its peak on March 29 to 832 on June 30, 2021. The average daily number of children in CBP custody for June 2021 was 794. The average time in custody for unaccompanied children fell from 133 hours on March 29 to 28 hours on June 30, 2021.​
Encounters of unaccompanied children decreased 1 percent, with 18,847 encounters in August compared with 18,958 in July. In August, the average number of unaccompanied children in CBP custody was 1,435 per day, compared with an average of 1,353 per day in July.​

I wanted to single this out. Because this is what is overlooked, due to the misinformation and disinformation.
It's not good enough. I don't know what the solution is, but the continued use of Title 42 is not right. The number of Customs and Border Protection employees who have tested positive to Covid, let alone passed away, is a total failure of the Biden administration.

Children in custody fell from 5,767 to 832, and back up 1,435.
Yes, the total decrease is good, it's great. But that's over capacity for a start. And doesn't say the average time they're in custody, just the hours unaccompanied.
And unaccompanied time in custody went from over five days... to a bit over an entire day. That's still an entire day.

So my opinion of the situation is mostly very negative. And I don't have any solutions, but I do think the misinformation is adding to the problem.
From the context of the poster, misinformation isn't the problem but the point.

And he stands by his post, right or wrong. That way he gets to keep saying it. 200 000 a month.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s a sad state of affairs that the president of the most powerful nation in the world lacks coherence at times, but the positives are that he’s still more coherent than his predecessor, that unlike his predecessor he is not borderline insane, and that he is the man we have to thank for defeating the half-crazed incumbent. Most right-thinking people are eternally grateful that Biden has triumphed over Trump but are hopeful that someone far more articulate will be his successor.

That’s where things are at right now.

lol

Yep, and Trumpers who voted for him coz he was such a straight talker spent 4 years doing the 'What he really meant was...' routine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Strong first post btw, "Debbie" :tearsofjoy:
Did you ever note the irony in the fact that so many posters who criticise Biden's coherence are themselves apparently incapable of writing in English and are reduced to communicating in neanderthal cave-wall scribbles (or "memes", as RWNJs call them)

The period 2016-2024 will have to go down in history as one of the more embarrassing periods of time for US political leadership - this was clearly not the best either side could come up with.
It goes further back than 2016 but you're right, the last two have been outlandishly bad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you ever note the irony in the fact that so many posters who criticise Biden's coherence are themselves apparently incapable of writing in English and are reduced to communicating in neanderthal cave-wall scribbles (or "memes", as RWNJs call them)
Ah, salty that the left can't meme? It would help if you guys had a sense of humour ;)

It's not that the left has no sense of humour. It's just that we think telling lies and punching down aren't funny.

Lol.

'This 3.5T spending bill will cost zero dollars'

John Kerry interview with the French media threw Biden under the bus.

Is John Kerry angling to become P48 by whiteanting Joe and then dump Kamala?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back