Play Nice 46th President of the United States: Joe Biden (1) O Brave New World

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big test for Biden is what can he do about gun control. Is everyone President powerless to make change? If a Democratic pres cant do anything then the USA is doomed. Surely something can be done.

Big test for Biden is what can he do about gun control. Is everyone President powerless to make change? If a Democratic pres cant do anything then the USA is doomed. Surely something can be done.
He won't be able to change anything unless Manchin or Sinema decide to do something out of the ordinary.

He won't be able to change anything unless Manchin or Sinema decide to do something out of the ordinary.

Correct me if I am wrong but they would also need about 10 Republicans on board as well as Manchin and Sinema. Good luck with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They might have had a chance in the 90's to add some sensibility around their gun laws but can't see it happening in the current environment, even whilst polls shows they are fairly receptive to stricter licencing, registration etc. You need to remember the pro-gun sentiment is far more vocal than the gun-control sentiment and the NRA just go into overdrive the moment anything looks like changing.

We obviously had our issues but not on the scale of the yanks. Milperra, Hoddle Street, Queen Street and Strathfield probably the most infamous (but not only) massacres in the decade or so leading up to Port Arthur. We also weren't rusted on to our firearms the way the yanks are so enacting gun control was much easier, but even still was a risky political play from Howard.

Intentional homicide rate of 6.3/100K when pretty much every country of equivalent wealth is under 2 with the vast majority under 1.2. UK 1.2 and Australia 0.9 as just two examples. This extends far beyond school shootings and other mass shootings as in most homicides the perpetrator and victim are known to each other, usually gang-related and more or less an extension on the failed war on drugs.

I don't know the stats but I'd be surprised if countries of similar homicide rates had such a high rate of school shootings. Obviously we do hear about them more from the States due to their standing in world events and their high population. It would be interesting to know (interesting maybe not the right word) if, say, Paraguay (6.7 homicides per 100K), has many as school shootings per capita?

Anyway, yanks gonna yank. I'd hate to be a parent in that country.

How is that difficult?
One difference is often the population is happy to have a monarchy.

Australia voted against getting rid of ours, for example.

But no, the Saudis are a dictatorship too, under the guise of a Monarchy. All monarchies end up that way, or become purely ceremonial.

The Saudi dictatorship is a pairing between the Saudi family and the theocratic rulers. So it's hard to tell if it's a monarchy or a theocracy.

Ironically, Iran is a mixture of theocracy and democracy and they're shunned for it.

Geez if Biden is such a disaster, it doesn't say a lot for ol' " MAYOR McCHEESE " hey !

* Smirks *
Sadly he was the 'safe' bet to get rid of Trump.

The cupboard in both parties is pretty bare as I doubt that Biden can win again especially if the current economic situation stays the same.

USA is in a mess.

Geez if Biden is such a disaster, it doesn't say a lot for ol' " MAYOR McCHEESE " hey !

* Smirks *

Biden's rating right now are worse than Trump's after January 6th.

Speaks more to the state of political controlling groups in the US to me. Let's assume that the vote against Trump was what Biden ran on and whoever was in that suit was going to beat Trump.

... and that's the best they could muster?

I agree with Maggie, they are in deep. Hopefully they don't take the world to war over it.

Biden's rating right now are worse than Trump's after January 6th.

Speaks more to the state of political controlling groups in the US to me. Let's assume that the vote against Trump was what Biden ran on and whoever was in that suit was going to beat Trump.

... and that's the best they could muster?

I agree with Maggie, they are in deep. Hopefully they don't take the world to war over it.
Should've been Bernie

*, should've been him in '16

Should've been Bernie

It was going to be, until the machine decided the people didn't have the right idea so they could engineer Clinton as the candidate. Never forget that.

It happened again in 2019/2020 too with Bernie having his platform hijacked by Warren to split his vote before the rest of the moderate/center Democrats jumped off the race to solidify support behind Biden.

Should've been Bernie

Do you honestly think Bernie would have won (he would have miles better) given that the other side would have been screaming... 'left' and all variations of?

Not so sure the USA will ever be ready for a Bernie type politician, sadly.

Do you honestly think Bernie would have won (he would have miles better) given that the other side would have been screaming... 'left' and all variations of?

Not so sure the USA will ever be ready for a Bernie type politician, sadly.

Data currently shows most young people don't feel affiliated with either party, but they did with Bernie and history has shown that there is a significant block of voters in the US who will vote their party no matter who is the candidate or what they are running on.

The progressives in the Democratic controlled house are very, very hesitant to support Biden running in 2024. They are dancing around the questions on that when asked if he is running if they would endorse him. They know their voter base got in line with ideas like cancelling student debt and that has instead turned into life costing more.

It's why I said I'm worried they will take the world to war. They need an economic stimulus like they did back in 2008/2009 but with inflation already high and interest rates going the opposite direction than required to keep the economy afloat they don't have that license to pour fuel on the fire.

.... except if there is a global conflict when the rule book is thrown out the window. War is good for business unfortunately. It's good for economies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back