Player Watch #47 Bigoa Nyuon

Remove this Banner Ad

smurfin

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
Central Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Others not likely to poach these players before us in the rookie draft.
However, like Mabior, they are now unrestricted free agents every time they come out of contract.

Think it's a good decision. Gives us so much flexibility with our draft hand, and Biggie and Cumberland get new one-year rookie contracts (I think?) to show whether they are worth persisting with or whether they are next year's Garth & Naish.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Hard to justify keeping him on the senior list when you have Aarts, Mansell, Stack and Pickett all on the rookie list and deserving of senior list spots.

Think this is more of an acknowledgment for those four than a slight on Biggie.
Add Cumberland and Biggy to Stack and Mansell and they all go to the Rookie pot hoping that someone will not pick them up. The clubs before us would surely be very tempted to call our Sydney Stacks name before he gets to us, or doesn't it work like that.

Add Cumberland and Biggy to Stack and Mansell and they all go to the Rookie pot hoping that someone will not pick them up. The clubs before us would surely be very tempted to call our Sydney Stacks name before he gets to us, or doesn't it work like that.

I must admit, I’m not over the rules of the rookie list as much as I should.

I suspect that Stack and maybe Pickett have to be added to the Senior list (creating the two spots for Biggie and Noah) as you can’t spend more than three years on the rookie list in a row. I do know that they added a clause that you could extend it for a fourth year in 2022 (due to COVID) but I’m unclear if that impacts Stack or Pickett.

Once on a rookie list it is similar to any other out of contract player in that you can extend them if they’re out of contract, which by all reports is what Stack has agreed to and what Aarts and Mansell agreed to earlier this year. As they have a contract for 2022, they are not subject to the rookie draft.

Only players who have been delisted from the Senior list before the rookie draft are subject to the rookie draft. So Biggie and Cumberland are subject to the rookie draft, whereas Stack won’t be if he extends his contract as has been rumoured.

if RFC weren’t to offer him a contract, he’d essentially be a delisted free agent and can be taken in the draft (I believe the National, PSD and rookie draft) by any team.

Hope that makes sense (and is correct haha).

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I must admit, I’m not over the rules of the rookie list as much as I should.

I suspect that Stack and maybe Pickett have to be added to the Senior list (creating the two spots for Biggie and Noah) as you can’t spend more than three years on the rookie list in a row. I do know that they added a clause that you could extend it for a fourth year in 2022 (due to COVID) but I’m unclear if that impacts Stack or Pickett.

Once on a rookie list it is similar to any other out of contract player in that you can extend them if they’re out of contract, which by all reports is what Stack has agreed to and what Aarts and Mansell agreed to earlier this year. As they have a contract for 2022, they are not subject to the rookie draft.

Only players who have been delisted from the Senior list before the rookie draft are subject to the rookie draft. So Biggie and Cumberland are subject to the rookie draft, whereas Stack won’t be if he extends his contract as has been rumoured.

if RFC weren’t to offer him a contract, he’d essentially be a delisted free agent and can be taken in the draft (I believe the National, PSD and rookie draft) by any team.

Hope that makes sense (and is correct haha).
That is something of a relief. Also you'd imagine that clubs that have delisted and vowed to rookie players would be pretty safe, as other clubs poaching under such circumstances would cause some sort of stampede. Is there such thing as a gentleman's agreement when drafting.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
That is something of a relief. Also you'd imagine that clubs that have delisted and vowed to rookie players would be pretty safe, as other clubs poaching under such circumstances would cause some sort of stampede. Is there such thing as a gentleman's agreement when drafting.

Essendon behind us in drafts too...

I suspect that it would be somewhat similar to the reluctance of clubs to walk an out of contract player to the PSD.

It can happen, but teams are reluctant to push that button as it risks creating bad blood with other teams, but also legitimizes the pathway in which other teams can do it to them in the future.

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Every year teams delist rookies with the verbal arrangement they will be rerookied. As someone mentioned, I can't ever remember a player suddenly being told 'sorry, changed our mind', or a player either saying 'actually I know I said I would sign on, but another team just ....'. It doesn't happen. They are no doubt still training with the group.

Can anyone confirm the Stack situation? Maxed out his rookie status? There has been no mention of it. Did the fact he started as a supp selection then signed a 2 year contract mean he has only done 2 years as a rookie, or did he start as a rookie?

Aug 25, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
Why would he when he has a contract with us promised?

It’s not up to him who he gets picked up by if he nominates for the rookie draft I believe.
Same goes for any draft, if you nominate for a draft you sign an agreement to be picked up by any club.

It’s to stop draft tampering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
It’s not up to him who he gets picked up by if he nominates for the rookie draft I believe.
Same goes for any draft, if you nominate for a draft you sign an agreement to be picked up by any club.

It’s to stop draft tampering.
OK, so as asked earlier on the thread, do you have an example of where both the team and player agreed to continue, but another team with an earlier pick came in and went 'gotcha'!

OK, so as asked earlier on the thread, do you have an example of where both the team and player agreed to continue, but another team with an earlier pick came in and went 'gotcha'!

I can’t recall it ever happening and if it has happened it’s incredibly rare. The threat is not the rookie draft it’s a club trying to pick them up as DFA.

If it’s any consolation I have no worries either Biggy or Cumberland won’t be at the club next year.

Tony Stark

Club Legend
Oct 12, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Greater intensity required.
Honestly from watching him in the VFL in terms of intensity he is a Chol clone. I appreciate there hasn't been much VFL to watch so just going on a relatively small sampler but consistently had instances when he could have crashed into packs but was happy to have minimal contact in the contest.

Both Chol and Biggy no doubt athletically gifted but unless that can be translated into AFL standard intensity on the playing field then essentially they just become a tease. It's akin to having a Ferrari in the garage and not being able to take it out on the open road.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
They're going to walk him to the PSD.
We get Tarrant for 2 years when North offer one. They get stack for 2 years when we offer him one?
I'm not happy about the stack contact delay. I guess worst case scenario is he repeats last year. That could be easily avoided by making sure his flight back to Perth is direct. Wait until lockdown in Melbourne ends.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
We get Tarrant for 2 years when North offer one. They get stack for 2 years when we offer him one?
I'm not happy about the stack contact delay. I guess worst case scenario is he repeats last year. That could be easily avoided by making sure his flight back to Perth is direct. Wait until lockdown in Melbourne ends.

3 year apparently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back