Laffy2Chaffey2Daffy

All Australian
Nov 14, 2012
Burundi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manangatang 3rds
Has any player been delisted with his club saying publicly they will rookie list him but been picked up by another club ? Biggie will be the 1st by St Kilda / Norf
Yeah, quite a long time ago but Melbourne delisted a player that had a few injuries and were going to redraft him, but the Tigers jumped in and drafted him first. Can't remember his name but I think he was from the Goulburn Valley, Kyabram or somewhere. And yeah, the Dees weren't too happy if I recall. :moustache:

Edit: It was David Williams and Rochester not Kyabram. Had a history of knee problems. Richmond drafted him in the PSD but his knees continued to bother him and I don't think he played a game for us. :(

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Not quite the same as pinching a de listed player who was going to be rookied but I recall when John Mccarthy was delisted by Pies he was training with us and we were committed to taking him in the PSD and he was committed to coming but Port snapped him up the pick before. He went on their end of season trip that year and never came home. Massive sliding doors moment.

King Cotch

Debutant
Sep 7, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
we did it to the lions with Todd Banfield. But the lions had a pick before us and didnt take him. which im pretty sure the gentlemans agreement is off at that point.

He was away with the Lions on their training camp in Arizona when we did it too haha

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
we did it to the lions with Todd Banfield. But the lions had a pick before us and didnt take him. which im pretty sure the gentlemans agreement is off at that point.

He was away with the Lions on their training camp in Arizona when we did it too haha

Well there you go. Imagine pinching an absolute spud like that. Dark days indeed.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond

Was he that weedy little bloke

Honestly from watching him in the VFL in terms of intensity he is a Chol clone. I appreciate there hasn't been much VFL to watch so just going on a relatively small sampler but consistently had instances when he could have crashed into packs but was happy to have minimal contact in the contest.

Both Chol and Biggy no doubt athletically gifted but unless that can be translated into AFL standard intensity on the playing field then essentially they just become a tease. It's akin to having a Ferrari in the garage and not being able to take it out on the open road.
Ferrari with a Prius engine.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I reckon if we draft another key defender so Balta can play fwd then it wouldn't be a bad idea to redeploy Biggy as a ruck/forward for a bit more depth. Him and Ryan could alternate ruck and forward in the VFL with Miller and the draftee down back.
Great idea mate. :D

rosetech

Rookie
Jun 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Not quite the same as pinching a de listed player who was going to be rookied but I recall when John Mccarthy was delisted by Pies he was training with us and we were committed to taking him in the PSD and he was committed to coming but Port snapped him up the pick before. He went on their end of season trip that year and never came home. Massive sliding doors moment.

Massive. I forgot all about that tragic story. Gone too soon.

King Cotch

Debutant
Sep 7, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
When do rookie elevations happen? i thought they happened with the end picks of the ND in the past, mustve changed though because none were made tonight by any teams. Because at the moment our rookie list is full

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I reckon if we draft another key defender then it wouldn't be a bad idea to redeploy Biggy as a ruck/forward for a bit more depth. Him and Ryan could alternate ruck and forward in the VFL with Miller and the draftee down back.

Might be a better idea than caddy

Miller or nyuon may have to play forward in the 2s at least if that happens this season

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
When do rookie elevations happen? i thought they happened with the end picks of the ND in the past, mustve changed though because none were made tonight by any teams. Because at the moment our rookie list is full
You don't use draft picks for the elevation any more
It will just happen before the draft tomorrow I think

Another # moment for an oppo club.

Back