Delisted #47: Henry Crauford - Not offered a contract for 2021 (confirmed)

Remove this Banner Ad

In those situations where they are weighing up whether to give a rookie another year, its usually off field/ training standards etc that can seal someone’s fate. He seems like a different character and maybe they weren’t confident he can get the best out of himself in an afl environment.
Bullshit different character? I would have him on my list before Peter Wright and again shows Essendons recruiters would be better off suited collecting trolleys at a woollies carpark

Bullshit different character? I would have him on my list before Peter Wright and again shows Essendons recruiters would be better off suited collecting trolleys at a woollies carpark
He was right under Port’s nose. Why didn’t you guys take him?

I would have him on my list before Peter Wright and again shows Essendons recruiters would be better off suited collecting trolleys at a woollies carpark
Really? Before a guy who averages 28 goals a season? Then you have nothing to worry about, your mate should easily be picked up by another club in rookie or national draft in a couple of weeks.

but but Tudor said he was killing every practice match

in hindsight he also said that about every other player who played, even had nice words about the opposition and on one occasion said the goalpost did a great job too
That goal post didn’t have a lot of opportunity but definitely played the role we asked of it. If it keeps presenting the sky’s the limit.

lel.

Whilst the character assessment may not be correct, Peter Wright is clearly capable enough at AFL level having averaged 1.3 goals / game across his career. Charlie Dixon has averaged 1.6 for comparison.

Clarke was completely fine, I don’t know what all the fuss was about, as was Jon Giles before him, but they’re only fine options if you’re not aspirational and never want to get any better.

The only way this has any reasonable merit is if he ran over Dodoro’s son in one of them big rigs or was coked out of his mind the entire hub.
Or....

We planned to be able to put way more development into him but due to COVID-19 he was unable to play any meaningfull football, contact with coaches were limited to a minimum and we have essentially the same prospect we had at the start of the year.

Then, when the AFL cut list sizes, we were left with some very tough choices, including the fact we may have to cut a 23yo rookie ruck prospect (through the fault of no one) that has played little footy, been underdeveloped since he was 18 and is out of contract.

If COVID-19 wasnt a thing then i am sure this looks different, we would at least have better idea of what he is as a prospect. Instead we have an incoming list crunch, a certain amount of guys under contract (of whom we have already cut still in Clarke) and so limited flexibility in spots on the list.

We bothered because in a covid free world with normal list sizes it was worth a punt. But you know, it didnt work out that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or....

We planned to be able to put way more development into him but due to COVID-19 he was unable to play any meaningfull football, contact with coaches were limited to a minimum and we have essentially the same prospect we had at the start of the year.

Then, when the AFL cut list sizes, we were left with some very tough choices, including the fact we may have to cut a 23yo rookie ruck prospect (through the fault of no one) that has played little footy, been underdeveloped since he was 18 and is out of contract.

If COVID-19 wasnt a thing then i am sure this looks different, we would at least have better idea of what he is as a prospect. Instead we have an incoming list crunch, a certain amount of guys under contract (of whom we have already cut still in Clarke) and so limited flexibility in spots on the list.

We bothered because in a covid free world with normal list sizes it was worth a punt. But you know, it didnt work out that way.

Yep. I'm guilty of pushing conspiracies but it's really only when the supposedly simple explanation does not fit with the available information.

Reduced list sizes, no meaningful match practice, hardly any ruck work (due to contact restrictions), 8 games of experience in a whole ruck department without Phillips.

Crauford just got unlucky. He had one year to make a mark and the opportunity was taken from him. He looked to have a truck load of raw ability but, as you've said, he's the same player he was 12 months ago.

I see no reason to speculate about his character or any other motivation when there are so many obvious reasons for the decision.

Crauford is back with Norwood.

With the retirement of Baulderstone he will be the number 1 ruck. Interested to see how he goes.

He's still only 23. A year or two of good output at SANFL level and with his size, he'll still be a very good chance to get on an AFL list. Gives him time to sort out the spelling of his name, too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back