Player Watch #47: Ivan Soldo

BRG93

The Beacon of BigFooty
Artist Western Bulldogs - Honeychurch/Austin/Prudden Player Sponsor 2014
Aug 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ri...ed-by-the-tigers/story-fndv8t7m-1226998896598

A NEW ruckman called Ivan has landed at Richmond.

Ivan Soldo, 18, the cousin of Tigers cult hero Ivan Maric, has been signed as a rookie despite never playing a game of footy in his life.

The giant 204cm, 106kg state basketballer will run out for his first Australian Rules match for the Northern Knights in the TAC Cup on Saturday.

He’ll play out the year in the under 18s before joining the Tigers full-time next year.

“I’ve never played before but I might as well give it my best shot,” Soldo said yesterday.

“My cousin Ivan helped me out a lot in getting through to Richmond, but it’s pretty random how it all happened.”

Soldo’s journey to Punt Rd began over Christmas when the talented Canberra-based basketballer told his cousin he was keen to try football.

Maric, who stands at 200cm, got the ball rolling by showing Tigers chiefs a photograph of Soldo, who has represented the ACT in basketball at under 16 and under 18 level.

895771-fda82eaa-1215-11e4-ae81-95568c4ed36e.jpg

“It’s all happened really quickly,” Maric said yesterday.

“He was talking to me about wanting to play footy ... I showed the club a photo of us together and they couldn’t believe the size of the kid.

“So he came down (in May) and had a bit of a kick and did some training. He’s got the height and size but the most important thing was the attitude and work ethic that he showed. He just wants to learn.”

Because Soldo has never been registered at an Australian Rules club, Richmond was able to sign him as a category B rookie — the same rule used by Collingwood to secure US college basketball player Mason Cox last month.

The Croatian cousins share the same first name, but not the trademark Maric mullett.

“He’s still single so he’s looking for a wife,” quipped Maric, whose father and grandfather are also named Ivan.

“It’s a pretty popular Croatian name. If you go down to the Croatian club and call out Ivan probably about 50 blokes will turn around.”

Richmond football boss Dan Richardson said yesterday: “Ivan is very raw, and will be a long-term project, but he has all the attributes of an AFL player and we look forward to seeing what he can bring to the group.

“He has shown a great capacity and willingness to learn, and he has really thrown himself into training.

“Being able to gain some valuable playing experience in the TAC Cup will only fast-track his development, before he can join in a full pre-season with Richmond.

“And being able to go to his cousin for advice has also helped introduce him to the weekly demands of AFL footy.”

Harmichael

Premiership Player
Suspended
Apr 21, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Whoever's playing Carlton.
A NEW ruckman called Ivan has landed at Richmond.
Ivan Soldo, 18, the cousin of Tigers cult hero Ivan Maric, has been signed as a rookie despite never playing a game of footy in his life.

The giant 204cm, 106kg state basketballer will run out for his first Australian Rules match for the Northern Knights in the TAC Cup on Saturday.

He’ll play out the year in the under 18s before joining the Tigers full-time next year.

“I’ve never played before but I might as well give it my best shot,” Soldo said yesterday.

“My cousin Ivan helped me out a lot in getting through to Richmond, but it’s pretty random how it all happened.”

Soldo’s journey to Punt Rd began over Christmas when the talented Canberra-based basketballer told his cousin he was keen to try football.

Maric, who stands at 200cm, got the ball rolling by showing Tigers chiefs a photograph of Soldo, who has represented the ACT in basketball at under 16 and under 18 level.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...998896598?nk=6ba334a35304006f3c5bd9fb1355669c

Oct 14, 2012
Goldfingers
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anything involving CROATIA & M.City
About ******* time a developing ruckman. Good size too and another competitive Croat. Trust me fellas Croats hate loosing and are competitive in everything we do.

Although i didnt realise how easy it was to play AFL footy these days. Apparently all you need to do is send the club a photo of yourself.
Groupie_ you should send the club some photos of yourself. :oops:

Oct 14, 2012
Goldfingers
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anything involving CROATIA & M.City
Could someone please feel me in on how we can sign a rookie mid season?
I realise he wont be on our list until next season but how does this work?

Whats stopping Richmond signing Petracca or Wright as a rookie and then promoting them before the season starts?

Whats stopping Richmond signing Petracca or Wright as a rookie and then promoting them before the season starts?

Answer is in the article.

Because Soldo has never been registered at an Australian Rules club, Richmond was able to sign him as a category B rookie — the same rule used by Collingwood to secure US college basketball player Mason Cox last month.

a_fighting_fury

Premiership Player
May 7, 2007
Yarra Park
AFL Club
Richmond

Hardly know you Cevap_Roll. So, ... PASS. :oops:

TheAnt

Premiership Player
Jun 8, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Borussia Dortmund
This is exactly where our VFL team comes into play. 4-5 years of solid development required before we think of giving him a game.

For those wondering
With the entry of the Gold Coast Suns and GWS Giants into the AFL, clubs were permitted to have a minimum of four and up to eight players on their rookie list but starting from 2013 the maximum will be reduced to six. These six rookies are now classified as Category A rookies.

In addition to these six rookie-listed players, each club can include up to three additional players (now referred to as Category B rookies) on its Rookie List provided the player either:

• has not registered in an Australian Football competition for three years immediately before inclusion on the Rookie List;
• is an international player, meaning he is not an Australian citizen and has not lived in Australia for a substantial period;
• is a former NSW Scholarship player with that club;
• is a former International Scholarship player with that club;
• is a rookie Zone Selection for clubs based in NSW or Queensland.
http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/rookie-players

Could potentially be a great idea, he's still very young and basketball players usually adjust to footy pretty well, by the time he's 23-24 he could be ready to go

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
204cm, 106kg at 18. Beast!!

Coming from first hand experience, you wouldn't want to play a team full of Croatians (provided they can play). Very hard at it, stubborn and competitive culture which is perfect for AFL football.

He just needs a mullet.
Sure does. In time, in time.

Looks like a pack of smokes in his pocket. Not off to a good start.

Sure is, too thick to be a iPhone. (croat voice)..... "Cigarette give me strength!!"

Back