Player Watch #47: Ivan Soldo

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
On form he’s comfortably in the top half dozen rucks in the league. He’s running out last quarters like a 100+ game veteran, nobody has done him for size or aggression, he’s prepared to back himself at everything and he’s getting better every week.

I love Nank, but I can’t make a case that he’s ever exceeded Soldo’s block of games from the Gawn matchup onwards.

However we line up in finals, Soldo’s earned first ruck IMO.

Looking forward to seeing how he’ll go with full finals atmosphere lighting a fire under him, he looks to be a big occasion player from the small sample we have to go on.

I lost it after he kicked that goal out of the ruck last week...first the hot shoe shuffle losing his boot and trying to celebrate on the way back to the centre, then once he got the boot right his chest puffed out so far with pride and excitement I was half expecting his jumper to split and reveal the Superman symbol.

Loving watching the big man grow bigger every game. :thumbsu:

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
On form he’s comfortably in the top half dozen rucks in the league. He’s running out last quarters like a 100+ game veteran, nobody has done him for size or aggression, he’s prepared to back himself at everything and he’s getting better every week.

I love Nank, but I can’t make a case that he’s ever exceeded Soldo’s block of games from the Gawn matchup onwards.

Looking forward to seeing how he’ll go with full finals atmosphere lighting a fire under him, he looks to be a big occasion player from the small sample we have to go on.

I lost it after he kicked that goal out of the ruck last week...first the hot shoe shuffle losing his boot and trying to celebrate on the way back to the centre, then once he got the boot right his chest puffed out so far with pride and excitement I was half expecting his jumper to split and reveal the Superman symbol.

Dimma said today pre game on 3AW Soldo/Nank is our prefered combination.

Got better as the game went on. How about his attempted header from the boundary throw in.

What? Lol

When did this happen? I'll have to watch the replay!

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Really amazed at what he’s done this year. I’ll put my hand up as one of those non-believers (and I’ve still got my doubts), but I’m nearly converted. Just need to see him pluck some more overhead marks and who’s to say that won’t happen going off his improvement so far.

Selling some candy in the last Q today- priceless!!!

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
Dimma said today pre game on 3AW Soldo/Nank is our prefered combination.

Cheers Baz, I missed that, I heard him say pre-game they brought Balta back in to see what he could offer and then weigh up between he and Mabs, so I assumed Nank is still in some doubt, which I guess is an automatic with back issues.

Laffy2Chaffey2Daffy

All Australian
Nov 14, 2012
Burundi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manangatang 3rds

Think you are forgetting how good Nank was in 2017 Rayzor. He was an extra midfielder for us that year. But I don't think the rule changes this year have favoured him. :( Soldo gives us a better shot in the clearances and up to now I didn't think we could carry both Soldo and Nank as it makes us too slow up forward, but maybe ... :think:

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Cheers Baz, I missed that, I heard him say pre-game they brought Balta back in to see what he could offer and then weigh up between he and Mabs, so I assumed Nank is still in some doubt, which I guess is an automatic with back issues.
It sounded like Nank is still in doubt. Dimma didn't sound confident.

At the end of the day Soldo's doing the job and i think Nank in isnt going to make a big difference at this stage. The issue now is Chol v Balta going in to finals.

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
I’d have no problem playing all three ‘rucks’ against Brisbane.

Balta and Chol are both very mobile, good endurance and good below their knees, neither are a huge loss in run and carry while adding a ton of what is needed in finals football - attack on the ball, big bodies which tackle hard, and it’d be a sweet luxury to have an extra marking tall capable of scrapping at ground level for the many territory gaining kicks up the flanks to packs we’re highly likely to see.

Any chance you have of getting aerial superiority in a final is an edge worth considering, marks are gold, so is kicking 50m up the line and consistently being able to hold that gained ground.

On those terms, I’d argue both are worth considering and could end up way more influential to the outcome than a small forward who gets 5-6 possessions.

Plus it adds an extra layer of cover for the whole spine, which can never be a bad thing.

Think we can drop the Soldo or Chol/Balta gag. Once Nank is back it’s pretty obvious and it’s going to be great.

Back