Player Watch #47: Ivan Soldo

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you mean by worse.? Never playing again? If the club feared the worst, they would have picked up a ready made ruckman during trade period. Mate is a long shot to be any good. Has barely played football. Sampson on the other hand looks like he could step in in 21, if CJ isn't working out. Or injured or Chol ain't quite right.
we were rumoured to trade for a ruck...

If CCJ is not ready next year then he will never be. Turning 22 a year younger than Nank when he shouldered the ruck all year on his own. Jones is a big unit who has a decent jump, he could be a very good player next year. Even Chol showed signs in the ruck, with another pre-season to build up and learn the ruck craft who knows. Soldo and Nank in combination I think are too slow anyway.

Burge is saying he is unlikely to be back until very late 2021. I'd give him until 2022 to be safe. Worth having him fully recovered. Can ruck. Pretty obvious Soldo wasn't going to be playing much in 21 before trading period but we only went for Sampson in the draft. The club must be confident in ruck depth. CJ, Chol, Balta, Ryan, Astbury, Lynch
Definitely put him on ice until 22.

Id be surprised if he played AFL in 2021. He won't be ready until late season anyway and that probably means finals time, hes not going to come straight into the side come finals without some form and fitness. Best case scenario maybe a few VFL games/finals then a big preseason for 2022 round 1.
There's no chance he plays in 2021, he did the injury in mid September given the delayed season and someone of his size is highly unlikely to come back in less than 12 months. At best he'd be considered for selection during the finals, which just isn't worth the risk.

Poor bugger is likely out for 2021. So LTI makes sense. Come back hard.

Bit I suspect they'll see how he goes and decide whether to participate in the mid season draft using his post if they want.

Ruckman Ivan Soldo and youngster Noah Cumberland also dealing with their respective knee reconstruction rehabilitations.

Soldo suffered the season-ending injury in round 17 last year having been Richmond's premier ruck, but the Tigers are confident of seeing him in 2021.

"If there's one guy who is going to do his rehab to an incredible level, it's Soldo. Our guys are really positive that he'll play some football towards the back end of the year which is a great get for us," Hardwick said.

Ruckman Ivan Soldo and youngster Noah Cumberland also dealing with their respective knee reconstruction rehabilitations.

Soldo suffered the season-ending injury in round 17 last year having been Richmond's premier ruck, but the Tigers are confident of seeing him in 2021.

"If there's one guy who is going to do his rehab to an incredible level, it's Soldo. Our guys are really positive that he'll play some football towards the back end of the year which is a great get for us," Hardwick said.
I was surprised by that quote from dimma ....

It's good to be optimistic :) Realistically, I wouldn't be surprised if he has minor setbacks in his recovery pathway and doesn't even play a game in 2021.

I’m excited that there is a chance he’ll play at all this season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to afl.com.au will be available to play in the back half of the year
I'd be amazed, there's a lot of load that goes through the joints of a guy that big, if he doesn't have any setbacks I'd be very surprised.

Probably would need some VFL and then AFL games to be ready before finals.

I'd be amazed, there's a lot of load that goes through the joints of a guy that big, if he doesn't have any setbacks I'd be very surprised.

Probably would need some VFL and then AFL games to be ready before finals.

He’ll come back for the GF

Ivan makes us better. But I don't expect to see him in the AFL this year.
Agreed, given the delay to the 2020 season, he had the injury on Sept 11th. Best case is usually 12 months, especially for a big man, so I can't see him playing AFL when he'll be due to return around half way through finals.

Agreed, given the delay to the 2020 season, he had the injury on Sept 11th. Best case is usually 12 months, especially for a big man, so I can't see him playing AFL when he'll be due to return around half way through finals.
In worst case scenario i.e. depleted ruck stocks. You'd bring him IN. Prestia & Astbury took a game or 2 to find the tempo. CJ looked good in the match last week.

Find it hard to believe that Cumberland who did his knee a full 12 months ago preseason is not ready for a few months still, yet Soldo who did both ligaments and is a big lump of a lad can do it in under 12. Might get back for the the VFL finals, but any earlier than that would be a miracle.

Besides Nank is a much better player. There is no way we would have got past Port in the finals last year if Soldo played instead of Nank who was about BOG with the most tackles on the ground playing like a mid. Port's big bodied mids were far less effective against the might of Nank.... sorry about the theatrics.

11 months tends to be the timeline for return to sport from ACL's (the 12 month term is just the easy grab).
Would still only have him back in Aug and obviously through the VFL.

Having done one, late in a season myself, I was going to write off the next season, but my physio said playing 2-3 games at the back end of the season would be massively beneficial in preparing for the following season.

So if he does come back, he may be down on output etc for AFL selection, actually playing him may be part of the preparation for 2022.

Disagree. He's a witches hat when he's not at his best. Only play him if he's 100% ready otherwise put him on ice
My scenario was Nank and one more ruck injured. I did see quite a few games last year and Soldo had dropped off in form before injury.

But I reckon CJ is good ruck/fwd material and I reckon he'll be a lock as soon as he returns.
Ryan wasn't bad in the practice match. So hopefully one of then will be playing ruck deep into the season as Nank depth.
The club keeps saying Soldo will be available. Maybe that's to motivate him in his recovery in 2021.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back