Player Watch #47: Ivan Soldo

Remove this Banner Ad

get your mind out of the gutter and your infatuation with big cox is disturbing , Dean Cox was a great Ruckman and Mason is a great SPUD

It soldo goes, only need a mature back up.

Cox would do they job bit likely too expensive.

Does anything have a state league ruck list for this draft?

Like someone said - if the best u18 rucks are still on the table come the Richmond draft picks. If Richmond have any picks, that could be an option too. Rucks often go late if they are not seen as potentially elite

Not fussed about losing Soldo and his $350k-$400k salary

Rucks are over rated unless you have a gawn/Cox/Sndilands type dominating Ruckman
Soldo will have his best year next year, second year back after a knee, just hitting 50 games, and at 26 years of age he is set to cash in on his hard work over the last 8 years. I wouldn't be surprised if he is really dominant over the next couple of years

The news footage of him alone arriving into Melbourne Airport last night was quite sad, looked like a man who has been dumped by the love of his life.

Last edited:
We don't win 2020 without Soldo going down.
View attachment 1529135
They made this scene into a movie. Incredible.

Godzilla Stumble GIF by HBO Max

Soldo will have his best year next year, second year back after a knee, just hitting 50 games, and at 26 years of age he is set to cash in on his hard work over the last 8 years. I wouldn't be surprised if he is really dominant over the next couple of years

The news footage of him alone arriving into Melbourne Airport last night was quite sad, looked like a man who has been dumped by the love of his life.
Not sure about his potential upside

He will be 27 years of age in 2023 when the season starts , Been in the system for 7+ years and i believe he is now the finished product which is a capable Ruckman but with no agility leap or a 2nd role apart from 1st ruck which is occupied by our captain who is a level above soldo.

What does surprise me is that the talk of soldo being available has now been talked about the last 2 weeks or more
Yet there does not appear to be any other interested clubs which need a ready to go Ruckman
teams like Saints , Hawks , Blues , Port , Dogs are all with a need has not showed any interest which indicates where he is valued. Personally i believe Ryan will be ready to contribute more than soldo as the 2nd ruck if required and will be given more opportunities going foward which would mean Soldo plays VFL

I think its best for Soldo for his own career to move on and not just to facilitate the hopper trade but also for his career

End of the day whatever we get for him will be a win. Was a speculative Category B rookie that helped us win a flag in 2019. All we invested was time and development and it has paid off big time. If it helps us bring across a clearance beast in the prime of his career than I'm all for it.

We say thank you and move on. He will always be a 'Richmond Man'

End of the day whatever we get for him will be a win. Was a speculative Category B rookie that helped us win a flag in 2019. All we invested was time and development and it has paid off big time. If it helps us bring across a clearance beast in the prime of his career than I'm all for it.

We say thank you and move on. He will always be a 'Richmond Man'

Might be an idea to bring him back in a few years if depth is needed in the ruck

Think Soldo will be a very handy ruck for the next few years. Sad to lose him but better than losing Ralphsmith as he has more long term value and upside.

Now desperately hoping Nankervis doesn't get a long term injury or we will be in trouble.

With a bit of luck millier and Ryan might be able plug the hole if the skipper goes down? With another pre season under the belt.

Not to the stand level but do a job.

The next level down is a worry. Who is left biggie if he is still on the list and Colina..

I would expect the club targets a state league ruck or even tall kid in the draft

With a bit of luck millier and Ryan might be able plug the hole if the skipper goes down? With another pre season under the belt.

Not to the stand level but do a job.

The next level down is a worry. Who is left biggie if he is still on the list and Colina..

I would expect the club targets a state league ruck or even tall kid in the draft
If Nank has the odd 2 game injury here and there we can cover him with Balta/Ryan/Miller yeh, especially against weaker teams. So if Nank plays 18+ games think we can manage.

It's if he has a dreaded season ender or a 6-10+ week injury where we will get exposed to multiple good sides that I think we will suffer a lot structurally.

The MSD might be critical for us next year to grab an in form, best state league ruck as insurance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It soldo goes, only need a mature back up.

Cox would do they job bit likely too expensive.

Does anything have a state league ruck list for this draft?

Like someone said - if the best u18 rucks are still on the table come the Richmond draft picks. If Richmond have any picks, that could be an option too. Rucks often go late if they are not seen as potentially elite
martin at the doggies is looking 4 another home.:rolleyes:

If Nank has the odd 2 game injury here and there we can cover him with Balta/Ryan/Miller yeh, especially against weaker teams. So if Nank plays 18+ games think we can manage.

It's if he has a dreaded season ender or a 6-10+ week injury where we will get exposed to multiple good sides that I think we will suffer a lot structurally.

The MSD might be critical for us next year to grab an in form, best state league ruck as insurance.
Reckon Bigoa looked a much better ruck than Miller in the game or two he played there so would not be surprised to see him training as such over summer. Took them 4 years before they decided to give Miller a go as a ruck forward, so why not have Biggy as backup's backup a bit sooner. He might surprise.

Reckon Bigoa looked a much better ruck than Miller in the game or two he played there so would not be surprised to see him training as such over summer. Took them 4 years before they decided to give Miller a go as a ruck forward, so why not have Biggy as backup's backup a bit sooner. He might surprise.
The beauty is with having Ryan , Biggy , Miller will all be the right size/weight to atleast compete at the level start of 2023
they all have 5 months to train in the Ruck and add what muscle thats required to get to the level

Think Soldo will be a very handy ruck for the next few years. Sad to lose him but better than losing Ralphsmith as he has more long term value and upside.

Now desperately hoping Nankervis doesn't get a long term injury or we will be in trouble.

Ralphsmith. Man I dunno. Kicked some flashy goals that looked good with his flowing mullet trailing behind him. But apart from that he’s pretty meh.

Rather him go than Soldo. But the club knows what they’re doing

Ralphsmith. Man I dunno. Kicked some flashy goals that looked good with his flowing mullet trailing behind him. But apart from that he’s pretty meh.

Reckon HRS could compliment Hops TT prestia etc. Quite well

Reckon HRS could compliment Hops TT prestia etc. Quite well

2021 draft we took like 500 outside players. It’s not like Hugo plays a critical role we can’t replace. Think of the amount of time that the club out into soldo to get him where he is. Good ROI in terms of trade value but he’s going to be playing his best years somewhere else

The beauty is with having Ryan , Biggy , Miller will all be the right size/weight to atleast compete at the level start of 2023
they all have 5 months to train in the Ruck and add what muscle thats required to get to the level
Also Miller and Biggy have the leap so don't need the combative muscle ala paddy Rider, also they would be part time for Nank who does ware down his opponents.

Clubs trading Soldo because they reckon they aren't going to play him - Nanks captain and Millers versatility make him a better number two
But s**t man it would only take a few injuries to be ****ed without him

HRS will play 200+ games for Richmond and will replace Pickett/McIntosh
Soldo has a use by date of 2024 at Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back