Player Watch #47: Ivan Soldo

Remove this Banner Ad

Clubs trading Soldo because they reckon they aren't going to play him - Nanks captain and Millers versatility make him a better number two
But s**t man it would only take a few injuries to be *ed without him

Only takes a few injuries to other players and we’d be ****ed even with Soldo.

That’s the same for every club. It’s the reality of a salary capped league.

HRS will play 200+ games for Richmond and will replace Pickett/McIntosh
Soldo has a use by date of 2024 at Richmond

He’s Markov with a blonde mullet. Will turn up to preseason with s**t tatts and we will end up trading him to an interstate club with a third round pick

Clubs trading Soldo because they reckon they aren't going to play him - Nanks captain and Millers versatility make him a better number two
But s**t man it would only take a few injuries to be *ed without him

This is my point. We had injuries this year and Nank played on one leg for period of it. Don’t get some peoples argument that Miller and Pickett are a good second option

He’s Markov with a blonde mullet. Will turn up to preseason with s**t tatts and we will end up trading him to an interstate club with a third round pick
I reckon he is better than that, I've been close up on the fence and he doesn't panic under pressure, just needs experience but time will tell

What's wrong with miller in the ruck?

Just don’t think he’s a good option to replace Nank if he goes down for an extended period of time.

I didn’t realise this opinion was so controversial

I reckon he is better than that, I've been close up on the fence and he doesn't panic under pressure, just needs experience but time will tell

I’m happy to be proven wrong with this bloke. Needs to clean up his disposal and that was one of the knocks on markov

This is my point. We had injuries this year and Nank played on one leg for period of it. Don’t get some peoples argument that Miller and Pickett are a good second option

We have Ryan.

In 2019 Nank went down and we forced to rely on Soldo. He did a commendable job.

Reality is that Soldo is a great clubman and an average AFL ruck. But if the club believes in Ryan eventually you’ve got to clear a path for him to get AFL minutes.

Also, if we’re gonna win a flag or two in next few years, who will be more important, hopper or Soldo? For me it’s hopper and it’s not close.

Ralphsmith. Man I dunno. Kicked some flashy goals that looked good with his flowing mullet trailing behind him. But apart from that he’s pretty meh.

Rather him go than Soldo. But the club knows what they’re doing
Rubbish , finds the footy , runs with it and a good kick , will Improve further with experience

Our ruck options after Nank are Miller, Ryan and Biggy who have a total of 9 AFL games between them. With Soldo (and Chol and CCJ) on the list it was an area of strength, now it may well be our Achilles Heel

Our ruck options at start of 2019 were Nank, Soldo (8 games), Chol (1 game) and CCJ (0 games).

Plus the mid-season draft remains an option if desperate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have Ryan.

In 2019 Nank went down and we forced to rely on Soldo. He did a commendable job.

Reality is that Soldo is a great clubman and an average AFL ruck. But if the club believes in Ryan eventually you’ve got to clear a path for him to get AFL minutes.

Also, if we’re gonna win a flag or two in next few years, who will be more important, hopper or Soldo? For me it’s hopper and it’s not close.

I think we can get the deal done without Soldo. We paid a good price for Taranto. Would have liked to have seen us getting Hopper in without a player involved.

But WTF would I know, we have a great list management team

We have Ryan.

Is there a chance that the Hopper deal won’t happen because no Richmond player including Soldo wants to go to that s**t hole that is Western Sydney?

Is there a chance that the Hopper deal won’t happen because no Richmond player including Soldo wants to go to that s**t hole that is Western Sydney?

Why would we send a player there unless you’re getting a great deal back? The Deledio deal was a gift. I hope we don’t think we owe them one

I think we can get the deal done without Soldo. We paid a good price for Taranto. Would have liked to have seen us getting Hopper in without a player involved.

But WTF would I know, we have a great list management team
We consistently pay overs and take unders but we get the deals done

Nope, I think it gets done with just picks if needs be. I think we’ve probably agreed on a list of guys GWS can try and convince to go up, and if so we amend the deal and if the player wants to stay well we keep them.

With Kingsley going up, he’d know our list and who can help him up there.

We consistently pay overs and take unders but we get the deals done
Did we take unders for Higgins or CCJ?

I think we are firm when we see a legitimate way to our best 22 for a player who asks for a trade. But when we know you’ll get more opportunities elsewhere and we are always willing to facilitate it.

Last edited:
Higgins absolutely, CCJ we got we bought him for

Higgins we essentially got our money back as well.

Who else did we get unders for? Butler, but we had to lose a player there, and you are talking about the difference between about pick 40 and 67. We got Biggy with that pick too. Stengle we got next to nothing for but he was a rookie who had played one or two games. Ellis we were just stiff with free agency due to winning the flag and his contract probably being only a fraction below the threshold. Lloyd, Miles and C Ellis, those type of guys really weren’t worth much. Chol and Markov I think we got picks in the mid 40’s. When you consider we got Nankervis for a similar pick…

We cleaned up on Deledio and Vickery.

Big Wins: Deledio, Vickery

Small Wins: Markov, C Ellis & Miles

Break evens: Chol, Lloyd, Higgins, Coleman-Jones

Small losses: Stengle, Conca

Moderate losses: Butler, B Ellis

Think that is about it since 2016 trade period.

And when you look at what came back the other way:

• Lynch as a free agent
  • Prestia, Caddy and pick 53(Graham) for picks 7 and 38
  • Nankervis for 46
  • Taranto for likely 13 & 21
  • Tarrant for next to nothing

Ok, before that not so good but from 2016 on we have clearly had the better of the exchanges.

Higgins absolutely, CCJ we got we bought him for

Getting back what you bought a player for is overs the way AFL trades work. I disagree with that being the premise in afl but it just is.

Most other fans are saying we paid overs on Taranto for 12 and 19, he was pick 2 and is an a grader!! That’s way less then what GWS paid.

Are Dees gonna get back pick 3 value for Luke Jackson? You’d think no unless Freo * next year up.

Dunno how he got a 3 year extension whilst out injured for 18months? Looked completely lost a lot of the time. So many incidents where he had zero judgement on the flight of the ball and would take 3 steps forward then shift back and ball would still clear him by a few metres. When the ball hit the deck opponents would fumble and still waltz clear of him. IMO he's now Behind Nank, Miller, Ryan, Balta as ruck option and we still have Pickett, Biggie and Colina will have a massive off season focused solely on all things footy instead of study and basketball, I think his confidence will lift and start to show glimpses that hopefully will lead to something. If that nerd Cox can dominate us in a final after a few years then surely Colina, who was in Calder Cannons squad can regain some ability. Soldo might wanna stay at Punt Rd but I can't see him impacting games anymore. Even his hitouts were bloody ordinary

Dunno how he got a 3 year extension whilst out injured for 18months? Looked completely lost a lot of the time. So many incidents where he had zero judgement on the flight of the ball and would take 3 steps forward then shift back and ball would still clear him by a few metres. When the ball hit the deck opponents would fumble and still waltz clear of him. IMO he's now Behind Nank, Miller, Ryan, Balta as ruck option and we still have Pickett, Biggie and Colina will have a massive off season focused solely on all things footy instead of study and basketball, I think his confidence will lift and start to show glimpses that hopefully will lead to something. If that nerd Cox can dominate us in a final after a few years then surely Colina, who was in Calder Cannons squad can regain some ability. Soldo might wanna stay at Punt Rd but I can't see him impacting games anymore. Even his hitouts were bloody ordinary
Colina won't be playing ruck. You don't risk injury to superstar forwards by playing them in the ruck. Let him just kick 120 goals a season from Full Forward, with Lynch as a decoy and JR8 roving the crumbs.

(Any opposition recruiters reading this, yes Colina is indeed worth 2 first round draft picks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back