Retired #47: James Kelly - Retirement announced - 16/8 - Essendon Performance Coach - 19/9

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw an incident about ten years ago on the wing at the "G" when Geelong were in their dominating, arrogant phase where Kelly tackled Stants over the boundary and drove him into the ground, and then as Stants was getting up, kelly picked up the ball and threw it directly at Stants and hit him in the back of the head! From that day forward I hated Kelly with a passion and even have to admit I smiled when he had that split testicle incident!

Now, I look back and I cant believe how much my attitude has swayed towards man love for this guy. He's an absolute warrior and in such a short time at our club I am proud to call him a bomber for life!

Nothing would make me happier than if we could smash Geelong Friday night and Pops could bury one of his of his old teammates into the ground and finish it off with some sheer arrogance!

Congratulations on 300 Pops.

I saw an incident about ten years ago on the wing at the "G" when Geelong were in their dominating, arrogant phase where Kelly tackled Stants over the boundary and drove him into the ground, and then as Stants was getting up, kelly picked up the ball and threw it directly at Stants and hit him in the back of the head! From that day forward I hated Kelly with a passion and even have to admit I smiled when he had that split testicle incident!

Now, I look back and I cant believe how much my attitude has swayed towards man love for this guy. He's an absolute warrior and in such a short time at our club I am proud to call him a bomber for life!

Nothing would make me happier than if we could smash Geelong Friday night and Pops could bury one of his of his old teammates into the ground and finish it off with some sheer arrogance!

Congratulations on 300 Pops.
Amazing what a change in clothing colour can do.

I loved him then and even more now. It's weird how much I love him playing for Essendon. Jade and scezza will attest (if they can remember) to him being the only Essendon player I wanted to talk to at the Crichton.

I loved him then and even more now. It's weird how much I love him playing for Essendon. Jade and scezza will attest (if they can remember) to him being the only Essendon player I wanted to talk to at the Crichton.
Yeah, I always loved Goddard so was very happy for him to come to the club.

Dude I can barely remember being AT the Crichton.

I love Kelly. The unflustered, cool as a cucumber manner in which he plays is so good. As Bunk said, wouldn't feel heat in a bushfire.

One of the things he is uncommonly good at is the little one percenters. It explains why he's never got the plaudits some of his former premiership team mates got. But people like that are invaluable in your side and his footy nous is first rate still.

And what's more, he's a sensational presence around the club. Was an absolute rock last year for us, on field but also off.

I don't care if he only ends up playing 30-35 odd games for us - he has my lifelong admiration.

He was always up there with Bartel, Chappy, Stevie J, Enright, Scarlo and Joel Corey for mine. Always thought of him as one of the 'indispensables' down at K.P.

He was always up there with Bartel, Chappy, Stevie J, Enright, Scarlo and Joel Corey for mine. Always thought of him as one of the 'indispensables' down at K.P.
Yeah, rated internally and by most Cats fans.

Probably escaped notice outside of Geelong a lot though. Including by myself. I knew he was decent, but I underrated him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simon Conway said:
Coach in waiting
Zach Merrett says it wouldn’t surprise him if James Kelly went on to become an AFL Coach.

Kelly will play his 300th game when the Bombers meet his old side Geelong on Saturday night.

Merrett has worked closely with Kelly since the triple premiership player joined the Bombers last year.

“We’ve obviously been very fortunate to have James come to the Club … I was a shadow for him last year and probably annoyed him with so many questions,” Merrett said.

“He’s a guy that has won three premierships and now played 300 games – he’s just got an enormous amount of knowledge and I wouldn’t be surprised if one day he’s a senior Coach of an AFL club.”

Kelly made his debut in 2002 and has played at least 15 games in all bar one of his 16 seasons at the top level.

“He’s had an amazing career with premierships with the Cats and getting to 300 games is a massive feat becoming the 79th player in the history of the game to get there,” Essendon Coach John Worsfold said.

“While he’s been at Essendon, he’s been awesome.

“Last year was a tough year for us as a Club and he was one of the guys that came and helped settle things and helped us develop our young players in a year that really was a development year.

“He’s still adding a lot of great leadership around the Club now.

“It’s going to be great to be part of his 300th game and it’s wonderful that it’s against the Cats.”
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-05-11/coach-in-waiting

Not sure if your club managed this so his 300th would be against the Cats, but it appears so from outside....classy by the Bombers IMO.

A much loved character at Geelong and a top quality player who did it on the big stage...... I'm sure most of you have seen just how good he is by now....whatever the result Saturday, I hope its a good game for Kells...and I think most Cat fans would feel the same.

Not sure if your club managed this so his 300th would be against the Cats, but it appears so from outside....classy by the Bombers IMO.

A much loved character at Geelong and a top quality player who did it on the big stage...... I'm sure most of you have seen just how good he is by now....whatever the result Saturday, I hope its a good game for Kells...and I think most Cat fans would feel the same.
I heard an interview with Kelly last night and he admitted it was orchestrated that he play his 300 against the Cats.

I think it's a fair reward for a guy who came to us at a pretty low point in our history and has given his all

Great player but more than that a great guy

Sometimes the exact right bloke comes along at the exact right time and is made of exactly the right stuff you need at that exact moment.

Kelly is that man for us and we're unbelievably lucky to have him

His output has been slightly down this year compared to last, but he turned it on tonight, especially in the first half. We're very lucky to have him.

Excellent to get him a win in his 300th and to be chaired off by captains of both sides.
20 disposals at 82.6%, 10 marks, 5 rebound 50s when you manage older players properly that is the reward you get out of them.

Plays the role Bomber Thompson once played for us; tough, uncompromising, composed, reads the play well.

Do we pencil him as an Essendon asst after he retires and joins Norf for one year before taking over Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back