Retired #47: James Kelly - Retirement announced - 16/8 - Essendon Performance Coach - 19/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know what happened with him? He didn't come off so I don't think he's injured injured, but there was a while there where he was limping around, looked like some part of his left leg was sore and he didn't want to put weight on it. Trainer walked up to him but he brushed them off and then took off again to affect the next contest... Curious if maybe he needs another rest if he's getting sore? Might've just been a knock too idk.

Anyone know what happened with him? He didn't come off so I don't think he's injured injured, but there was a while there where he was limping around, looked like some part of his left leg was sore and he didn't want to put weight on it. Trainer walked up to him but he brushed them off and then took off again to affect the next contest... Curious if maybe he needs another rest if he's getting sore? Might've just been a knock too idk.
I only saw aboout 20 minutes all up and will watch the replay tonight, but if he's sore the club should rest him then give him 1 game back to get his moji before the Crows

Think this will be his last year - There is a growing gap between his good games and poor games, which is usually a sign of decline - Make finals and he'll be a vital player who will seriously attack the 50/50 balls.

Im not sure I believe him. Has form for retiring and then playing on.

:p

Jokes aside, Thanks for helping us out when we needed it Kelly, and then thanks for sticking around to help pass on your experience to our younger players. Hope we gave you some good memories in the Red and Black.

I said it of the Facebook page but I'll say it again, he's been a damned godsend. His impact cannot be measured. He was exactly the type of individual we needed at our club and I'm so glad I got to cheer him on. I truly hope he is made a life member. We cannot thank this man enough for helping us in our time of need. Thanks Pops, for everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said it of the Facebook page but I'll say it again, he's been a damned godsend. His impact cannot be measured. He was exactly the type of individual we needed at our club and I'm so glad I got to cheer him on. I truly hope he is made a life member. We cannot thank this man enough for helping us in our time of need. Thanks Pops, for everything.
What he said :thumbsu:

I'll put my hand up and say i thought he was cooked 2 years ago.
But he had a great stabilising effect from an old head in a backline copping it from all angles.
And i'm not just talking about last year.
Could probably go again but with the young defs we've got coming through, it's probably better long term to give his spot to someone else.
Finished his career in better form than Stevie J

Champion player and I am so grateful that we got to have him in red and black for two years.

Could have gone again, but retires on top.

Runk is spot on - his impact cannot be measured. He has my lifelong admiration for his contribution to Essendon.

Could have gone another season but there is something to be said for retiring while you are still capable of playing good footy. Too many players go on a year too long and at his age the finish line can come at you quickly.

He was a great guy to get at the club and the most inspired of the replacement players chosen. 'Pops' seems to have had a massive impact on the younger players, particularly those who were playing last season. I also think the way we managed him over the past two years may pave the way for how some older players could be managed in the future.

Hope he remains involved with the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back