Retired #47: James Kelly - Retirement announced - 16/8 - Essendon Performance Coach - 19/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Handy depth. Helps manage the older blokes next year. Only needs to play 12-15 games.

If his desire and level of output is the same as this year then i got no problem keeping him on the list. Theres some deadwood on the list to cut, and maybe 1 or 2 not coming back.

Im not convinced Hibberd, Pears and Watson are
Is that 12-15 games that should be going to a younger player? I'm not saying we need to go full youth but look at our list balance its well out.

Is that 12-15 games that should be going to a younger player? I'm not saying we need to go full youth but look at our list balance its well out.
Depending on who is still there on the list. To say a flat out no is a bit short sighted

Who do u think should still be on the list?
Tough off top of my head.

I know Edwards, Kommer, Ashby, Pears, are probably off. Maybe Pig. Maybe smack.

Tippa gets elevated.

Dea/Kelly?

Trades and drafting is anyones guess

Does anyone else feel this blokes season is being staggeringly underrated in the external football community?

A comment on the main board about how he hasn't set the world on fire has triggered this but before that I hear things like "Yeah he's ok I guess," "Done some nice things," "Played some good games."

He's averaging more touches and marks then ever before. He's been a brilliant pick up, without him in that back 6 we'd have been decimated.

Does anyone else feel this blokes season is being staggeringly underrated in the external football community?

A comment on the main board about how he hasn't set the world on fire has triggered this but before that I hear things like "Yeah he's ok I guess," "Done some nice things," "Played some good games."

He's averaging more touches and marks then ever before. He's been a brilliant pick up, without him in that back 6 we'd have been decimated.
Might be own my with this, but if he wants to I think he should go on.

Glad I got to see him play one more time. Even happier he played well.

Shame our R23 games are half an hour apart otherwise I'd have gone to the G to see his last game :( (providing he gets picked of course).

Glad I got to see him play one more time. Even happier he played well.

Shame our R23 games are half an hour apart otherwise I'd have gone to the G to see his last game :( (providing he gets picked of course).
He is an absolute legend. Great career and great person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought he'd start to taper a bit as we approach the finish line but he really hasn't, so much so that if he wants to go around again we have to at least entertain the thought. Can't help but feel like someone who's as experienced and respected as him would probably be good to keep around as we attempt to mesh together the current list with the 12 and what's likely to be 8-9 new recruits.

Ideal world he plays the first 11 weeks of the year, then rides out into the sunset after passing 300 and fully transitioning the reigns of their respective groups to Hurley and Heppell/Myers.

James Kelly admits he’s considering going around again.
“Maybe — it’s a lot more attractive than it had been earlier in the year,” Kelly told SEN Radio.
“At this stage, I still don’t know. I still haven’t had a proper sit down with Woosha."
“We’ve had a few chats briefly throughout the year, but at this stage we’ll get through the week and then sit down and have a coffee next week and see where we’re at.”
“Even though it has been really different from a win-loss point of view, I’ve actually really enjoyed just playing footy and being back out there,” Kelly said.
“I’ve really enjoyed being at the club and being around a group of guys who also really enjoy their footy and enjoy playing together.”

While Kelly admits it will be hard for the banned Bombers returning to the club next season, he stressed his belief that the side is capable of returning to the finals in 2017.
“I think they’re certainly capable,” Kelly said.
“It’s a hard question to answer because I haven’t played with a lot of the guys that are coming back. But they’re certainly capable on paper.
“There’s going to be some issues when the guys come back. They’ve been out for a year and their mental state is going to be hard for them I think.
“To keep up for a whole year when you’ve been playing for a long time is hard enough, let alone when you’ve had a year off.
“There’s going to be some challenges, but certainly I think they should be pushing for the top six to eight.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/jam...7/news-story/011ca9dc38b5f0ef3d8860c1a2894074

Picking up Dea and Kelly I am pretty happy with.

Kelly slots straight into Hibbos spot, probably does it as good or if not better IMO. Would be fantastic to see him running around with our best 22.

I'm going to frame this gif of Kelly on my wall; to cheer me up when the dark clouds won't go away.
KgAQrbt.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back