Retired #47: James Kelly - Retirement announced - 16/8 - Essendon Performance Coach - 19/9

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going to straight out say it, and it seems odd given we've been lamenting the lack of opportunity given to our youth...

But we made a mistake retiring Pops.

He was an evergreen. And just think of this - how bad are we coming out of defence and under the pump in there. Pops' steady hand would be oh so welcome.

I'm going to straight out say it, and it seems odd given we've been lamenting the lack of opportunity given to our youth...

He was an evergreen. And just think of this - how bad are we coming out of defence and under the pump in there. Pops' steady hand would oh so welcome.
I thought we offered him another contract and he decided to retire?

He was an evergreen. And just think of this - how bad are we coming out of defence and under the pump in there. Pops' steady hand would oh so welcome.
And we complained about perhaps chasing J.McVeigh, would kill to have him in our team he is very much of the same ilk

Agree he would be handy right now, but what if...and here me out here... what if he “coached” the defenders on a plan to move the ball out of defence?

what exactly would be the point of having him still in? 6 goal losses instead of 7 goal losses? having him in the side instead of seeing what mcneice can offer?

Yep. Playing kids (which I like also) but sometimes you can rob Peter to pay Paul. Kelly was very, very good for us.

what exactly would be the point of having him still in? 6 goal losses instead of 7 goal losses? having him in the side instead of seeing what mcneice can offer?
Think how chaotic we look trying to come out of defence - how heart in mouth we all are every time we try and transition the play. I don't think it's a simple matter of him slightly lessening the margin of defeat. Pops gave us a solidity across half back that is very hard to put a value on.

The absence of Gleeson and McKenna and until last week, Ambrose has hampered us also, but I believe Kelly was the glue in a lot of ways. He could have played on and in hindsight I wish we'd let him do so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back