Past Josh Deluca

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible list management
There were mixed messages around around at that time. I think he was always a potential target but I don't think we thought we'd be on the bottom of the ladder at that stage and, perhaps, the recruiting team wanted to go down a different path until told otherwise.

Would have thought he deserved to have a pre season and another year as a rookie
might be other things in play perhaps he asked to be elevated or $$$ and the club was not prepared to commit

Maybe this decision is right in isolation but we can't keep getting nothing from late picks/mid season picks, etc. Good players can come from anywhere, but I worry we think they only come from early in the draft. This is not how to build list wealth.

I don't have anything against him but he wasn't up to the level as a small forward. We didn't get to see him as a midfielder, which is what he did best in the WAFL, at both tagging and going and getting his own ball.

Question remains: Why we even bothered with him and delisted Josh without seeing his midfield capability.

Maybe this decision is right in isolation but we can't keep getting nothing from late picks/mid season picks, etc. Good players can come from anywhere, but I worry we think they only come from early in the draft. This is not how to build list wealth.

One player this decade drafted outside the first round has played 100 games for Carlton, Ed Curnow.

what if someone told you list management wasn't always a single season concept - that situations change almost weekly and like clever investing there are times when you need to plan years in advance - leaving you open to the vagaries of the market place? what about that?

what if someone told you list management wasn't always a single season concept - that situations change almost weekly and like clever investing there are times when you need to plan years in advance - leaving you open to the vagaries of the market place? what about that?

I agree, I'm interested if Deluca's spot on the list will help us land a DFA. Deluca's training on so there's always a chance he may be looked at over the course of the pre season like Gibbons and Cottrell were.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say.... Carlton appears a long way off the pace in this regard

perhaps in a narrow window view - we are now at the stage where we see if teague can coach us to the next level ie finals threshold - once that becomes a reality, the wins, the marque players and the groundswell of progress will do the rest........

Don’t actually mind the decision in isolation. Liked his intensity, but there was a clear gap in his skills maybe we didn’t want to go about addressing given his age. Contrast his general aptitude as a mature-ager with Gibbons for example.

Also just don’t really see a long-term position in the team for him. He came in as a depth player and played a role for us for a number of weeks, but with Betts and Martin coming in we likely can’t fit him in the forwardline and would be priotising others we’ve invested in already through the midfield.

Maybe we just see his ceiling as reasonably low, and we’re looking to sign other mature age nuts and bolts players with experience like Gray and Newnes.

Can't believe we delist Deluca and retain Polson. I know Polson's contracted, but should have been paid out and delisted before Deluca.
People need to watch Polsons VFL first year highlights. Whilst Bolton did a lot for the CFC in the aftermath of Malthouse, playing kids out of position, or in sacrificial roles was his biggest sin. He could be a Murphy clone. He has a contract, give him a chance and if he doesn't improve, then I apologize, but we'd know we have him every chance. How many other kids improved under Teauge?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back