Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
WE'VE GOT US A TASSIE BOY!

More to come.

Overlooked in 2020 and 2021, Jye Menzie joins Patrick Walker, (North Melbourne) Jackson Callow (Hawthorn) and Isaac Chugg (Collingwood) as Tassie 2002 born players in the AFL.

Last edited:

Jye Menzie

Menzie moved to the SANFL from Tasmania this season, enjoying a productive start with South Adelaide. The 180cm small forward burst onto the scene, kicking 10 goals from his first two games and displaying some electric ground-level speed in attack. He has an endless desire to compete and hit the scoreboard, with his aerobic capacity enabling him to get higher up the ground on occasions. Set to turn 20 later this year, clubs rate Menzie's ability to scrap at every contest.

If it means the end of trying to make Brayden Ham an AFL footballer then I'm all for it

Jye Menzie

Menzie moved to the SANFL from Tasmania this season, enjoying a productive start with South Adelaide. The 180cm small forward burst onto the scene, kicking 10 goals from his first two games and displaying some electric ground-level speed in attack. He has an endless desire to compete and hit the scoreboard, with his aerobic capacity enabling him to get higher up the ground on occasions. Set to turn 20 later this year, clubs rate Menzie's ability to scrap at every contest.
Play this guy immediately and make him captain!

GET HIM IN!

Menzie is arguably best known for his match-winning goal last year in the NAB League against Bendigo Pioneers. He just has that match-winning ability and is one of the players you would trust with the ball in his hands taking a clutch set shot or the last kick of the game to win a match. He is one of those players that you can picture playing at the top level be it next year or in future years, simply because he has that X-factor about him. It is not always consistent, and he has a lot of areas to work on, but in terms of his forward 50 ability, he is so damaging with ball in hand and a handful for any opposition defender, including those senior players he ran rings around in 2020 for the Demons.

With a keen goal sense, Menzie is able to kick multiple goals in a quarter and either haul his side back into a contest, or break open said contest with a blistering purple patch. The biggest knock on him is his consistency, as he can be quiet for long patches - as most small forwards can - but it is just about closing that gap between his best and his worst. Nearly every game he does something special, and whilst he does not need to pull out the tricks every match, it is just getting his hands on the ball more often. Playing deep in the forward line for a young side that itself was up and down at times, Menzie would have to push up the ground to win the ball on the wing, which whilst he would be able to win it, needed to have greater impact. Once inside 50, it was hard to contain the exciting forward because he was just smarter than those around him.

His football IQ when the ball is in his area is very good, and he can think through situations quicker than most. It would have been great to see him play more permanently up the ground to increase his versatility and perhaps get him into the game more, but he has no problems doing so when anywhere in the vicinity of goals. One that will no doubt win goal of the year at some point in his career, Menzie could snap them from left or right pockets or on the run under pressure. Given he was able to hold his own at senior level, it would have been even better to see him perform at Under 18s in the NAB League where no doubt he could have pushed into the midfield some more. As a whole, while it might seem he has plenty to work on, at times he was one of the most exciting draft prospects from the Apple Isle and his best is good enough to play at the top level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't seen much but knows where the goals are.

I’ve seen a fair bit of him before he went to SA, I was suprised he wasn’t at least rookied in his draft year. He played a bit for North Melbourne in the VFL, was definitely classy around goals here for North Hobart.

Made a point of watching some SANFL in recent weeks to see him and Carmichael. I really like Menzie, just a natural forward who can execute off either foot. Him and Wanganeen will be a handful in a couple of years.

I’ve seen a fair bit of him before he went to SA, I was suprised he wasn’t at least rookied in his draft year. He played a bit for North Melbourne in the VFL, was definitely classy around goals here for North Hobart.
Yeah I saw a couple of his games there last year.

I was really upset when this kid didn't get taken in the draft, it made me honestly wonder what had gone wrong in Tassie that he wasn't picked up, I thought he'd go in the second round and he went undrafted. Honestly view him as one of the best young players to come out of Tassie. He's a legit burner, super competitive, tackles like an animal and the trait that really stood out for me is that he's really clean when the ball hits the deck.

I can't really think of a player comparison, but he does remind me of another athlete.
Ultimate Warrior Sport GIF by WWE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back