Autopsy 47 point loss vs Port Adelaide

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
I think Mills has been really solid this year. I don’t know if I’d say he regressed. Just hasn’t made a huge step up from 2017.
Mills has had a really good year. Been one of the few rocks back in defence. Not doing anything flashy but he's been super reliable.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I think Mills has been really solid this year. I don’t know if I’d say he regressed. Just hasn’t made a huge step up from 2017.

Agreed. He had some pretty poor weeks around the middle of the year and on the weekend against Port but his play for much of the year has been better than at any other time in his career imo. Leader of the defence kind of play particularly in the 2nd half of the year.

He hasn't put together a "leader of the defence" year yet but with Rampe in the side he hasn't needed to really. I think he's very well set-up to take more solid steps forward in his development from here.

I really think Mills is among the least of our problems. Yes he did not have the best of games v the Power, but he was not on his own.

No player wins their position or role every week.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I really think Mills is among the least of our problems. Yes he did not have the best of games v the Power, but he was not on his own.

No player wins their position or role every week.

Yep. Rampe got beaten hands-down by Tom Hawkins against Geelong. No defender is immune to it. Particularly if their midfield cops the clearance and I50 beating ours has lately.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Yep. Rampe got beaten hands-down by Tom Hawkins against Geelong. No defender is immune to it. Particularly if their midfield cops the clearance and I50 beating ours has lately.
Rampe shouldn't even be playing on a Tom Hawkins type player. Ramps is a back pocket. He just happens to be so good a player that we have to play him on the opposition's best forward because we lack other options.

Rampe shouldn't even be playing on a Tom Hawkins type player. Ramps is a back pocket. He just happens to be so good a player that we have to play him on the opposition's best forward because we lack other options.
It clearly shows how much we miss Teddy & Reg. For all the talk of "superstar" forwards and midfielders, when we are rolling, we've always punched above our weight in terms of defenders. I fear we're currently a bit thin in terms of defensive experience and size, but rate Aliir & Melican enough that I trust them to take the baton and run with it... But a Reg type would be bloody handy right about now!

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 25 Bounces

Florent 18 (1w)
Clarke 16 wing
Blakey 16 wing
Kennedy 16
Parker 15
Hewett 13
Jones 13 wing
Papley 8 (1w)
Rowbottom 5
Bell 3 wing
Heeney 2

Rucks:
McLean 13
Reid 7
Aliir 5

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au)
Florent 3
Hewett 1
Kennedy 1

1st Half - 13

Clarke 12 wing
Parker 10
Hewett 9
Florent 8 (1w)
Blakey 7 wing
Kennedy 7
Papley 5
Jones 4 wing
Bell 2 wing
Rowbottom 1

McLean 9
Reid 4

2nd Half - 12

Florent 10
Blakey 9 wing
Kennedy 9
Jones 9 wing
Parker 5
Clarke 4 wing
Hewett 4
Rowbottom 4
Papley 3 (2i, 1w)
Heeney 2
Bell 1 wing

Reid 3
McLean 4
Aliir 5

Notes:
- Highest inside starts in an analysed game for Florent. His previous high was 3 in Rds 16 & 19, 2018. Obviously I didn't analyse last week when he possibly played the same role.
- First analysed game with Blakey as a mid - this completely obliterated his previous start PB of 1.
- Fewest analysed game starts for Heeney since Rd 21, 2016
- Fewest starts for Rowbottom in analysed games since the Rd 9 game when he had 0. 4 of his 5 starts came in Q3
- Fewest starts for Hewett in analysed games since Rd 5. He didn't have a start in the last
- Clarke also didn't have a start in Q4

Back