Autopsy 47 point loss vs Port Adelaide

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Bodys cooked anyway

His form before he done the Hammy again would say he could still be a weapon. Are we going to get continuity out of him as he ages and the toll on his body catches up ? You would think not but at this stage Cooked, Medium or rare right now I would still have him before any other forward in the comp. Proof will be in the pudding next year I suppose but right up to the last game he played there is still no forward in the game who can single handedly turn a game like he can.

If there were no injuries

Out: Bell, Fox, McLean, Clarke, Ronke
In: Franklin, Sinclair, Hayward, Cunningham, O'Riordan

Do those changes make much of a difference?
Absolutely.
Does Buddy alone win us more games?
Absolutely.

We're not as bad a side as this board thinks. We haven't been smashed in many games other than this week. It's genuinely only been lapses that have really cost us for the most part. The list absolutely does have problems, but they are seriously overstated by some on here.

Anyone want to fess-up to being on the delist Florent train a few weeks ago? :drunk:

That was genuinely a suggestion from some during the Freo game.

Thank God for the cricket.
An Ashes series win in England would nullify all the pain football has caused me this year, and all the pain cricket caused me at the turn of the year.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Thank God for the cricket.
An Ashes series win in England would nullify all the pain football has caused me this year, and all the pain cricket caused me at the turn of the year.

Yep, a shame a couple of cheats are in the room. I say a couple because I genuinely feel sorry for Bancroft for what he was told to do (just to fit in).

Loved that Smith came back like that...hate he’s been talked up to skipper again. * him in that regard!

Off topic but * it really!

Yep, a shame a couple of cheats are in the room. I say a couple because I genuinely feel sorry for Bancroft for what he was told to do (just to fit in).

Loved that Smith came back like that...hate he’s been talked up to skipper again. fu** him in that regard!

Off topic but fu** it really!
Sympathise with Smith and Bancroft as they come across as pretty genuinely nice guys that were poisoned by our serious cultural issues.

Warner comes across as a genuine flog, so it's a bit harder to sympathise with him.

Definitely off-topic, but surely allowances should be made for days like today. ;)

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Sympathise with Smith and Bancroft as they come across as pretty genuinely nice guys that were poisoned by our serious cultural issues.

Warner comes across as a genuine flog, so it's a bit harder to sympathise with him.

Definitely off-topic, but surely allowances should be made for days like today. ;)
Yeah but Smith was Captain, knew it and agreed to it. The ONLY thing that saves Bancroft is that he’s a greenhorn. But to get this back on topic, we’re kind of the same...do as I say, not ad I do!

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I mean, ideally we one or two players from the draft, we bring in someone and a few people get over injuries (Cunningham and Buddy etc) and a few of our younger's players play bigger roles and there is 6 players easy?
Look I like to stay positive but If You Think what You are watching at the moment is on course for that then I'm sorry You haven't got a clue. We have 6 or more players in that side that are ****ing horrible and have no part on an AFL Arena. Who's replacing them ?

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
We’ve all been terribly spoilt over the last two decades. The world isn’t ending just because we’re not making finals. We’ll be better next year and even better the year after that.

In the meantime, enjoy watching some young stars in their infancy and not having to worry about the result!
Wise words.

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Started to read this thread, 5 posts in and once again Mitchell comes up, now been 3 seasons since he played for us. I get the fact people are disappointed with him leaving but cant all Mitchell discussion be placed in the former player thread, it has nothing to do with today's game.

barry fu

Premiership Player
Jun 8, 2009
The Chioggia clump
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sth Freo/Forest/Tricky Trees
Positives:

Ollie Florent.
The weather.
Norf, Essenongs and Norf.
No injuries.
The weather.
Heeney.
The Wallabies.
Return of The Rampe.
Melbourne next week.

Downside:

The weather.
The score.
Ports theme song.
The weather.
Midfield.
Last quarter fade.
Kochie.
No cavalry returning next week.
Melbourne next week.

Hopefully Dawson and Co still have some sugar in the tank. A wet hard slog, in some god forsaken place finishing in a fade out and add another away trip to tackle.
Tough this time of the season for the fledgling.
Surely, we can do the dreadful dees?

Onwards To Victory!

Anyone else think that Heeney and Mills are the exact same players they were 2-3 years ago?

Nope.

Take away the pre-draft hype for a second.

We should be bloody rapt to have Heeney in our team. Every other club in the comp would want him in their side. Does so much right, just robbing himself of a few chances to be one of the very best players in the league. He's a star of the competition and our best player under 24. He's going just fine.

And Mills has proven himself capable of being not just a decent-midfielder-turned-defender, but an actual quality defender. There have been several games this year where if he replicated them more often, he'd be an All Australian defender. That's a credit to him considering he is not a natural defender.

The fact you're grouping them two together and not, say, Heeney & Hewett who are the same age, or Mills & Dawson who were drafted the same year, tells me you're still letting the pre-draft hype cloud your judgment of them.

(Correct me if I'm wrong though, just seems that way.)

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I hear you, but his form wasn’t entirely awesome when he went down. It feels like Naismith’s form got better the longer he’s out.

I don’t think anyone really sees Naismith as the Messiah. I’ve probably been his biggest advocate on here.

It is simply a matter of statistics. Our clearance numbers are so much better when he plays. And the cumulative effect of that statistic is reflected in the wear on our midfielders.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I don’t think anyone really sees Naismith as the Messiah. I’ve probably been his biggest advocate on here.

It is simply a matter of statistics. Our clearance numbers are so much better when he plays. And the cumulative effect of that statistic is reflected in the wear on our midfielders.

I’ve been a pretty big advocate too and my view hasn’t altered during his period of injury. He isn’t a world beater, but (when fit) he actually wins some taps to advantage and allows our midfielders to put themselves in more attacking positions with confidence.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
we were a better side in the long ago when naismith got on the park

but we are also at the point where any ruck would make a massive difference imo

I think he would make a difference in the centre. Stoppages we actually won the clearances yesterday but got smashed in the centre.

You’re right though, hard to judge as our midfield was clearly better back then.

Noted in the Ressies thread that I reckon Knoll might be looked at closely this week. McLean has been gallant but looks tired.

I think he would make a difference in the centre. Stoppages we actually won the clearances yesterday but got smashed in the centre.

You’re right though, hard to judge as our midfield was clearly better back then.

Noted in the Ressies thread that I reckon Knoll might be looked at closely this week. McLean has been gallant but looks tired.
....and what a debut that will be up against Gawn.....we will get no better test to see what he has

He would make a difference

Sinclair would also

Any established ruck, crying for one

Back