Autopsy 47 point loss vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the replay this morning.
We gave up 3 or 4 goals by dropping marks down back that Smith, Richards & Grundy swallowed each & every time. We can improve there with time.

We gave up 3 or 4 goals by getting caught with the ball or a bad kick out of deep defence. We can improve there with time.

We gave up 4 to 6 of our own potential goals by missing gettable goals from in front & by choosing to kick bananas, hooks around the body, or being selfish instead of giving off to someone in a better position.

We really need a big bodied ruckman in the middle to take 80% of the contests & then become an extra big body around the contest. Right now we just have young McLean who can be a midfielder but not a competitive enough ruckman & if he fails to impact as a midfielder when the ball is on the ground, then we are better to go with a big bull who can have the opposition ruckman at least thinking twice where his opponent's knees are going to end up.

Time to play Knoll just for the contest. He will get beaten by Gawn but it will give him a reference point for where he needs to get to next season. It will also give the midfielders a better chance of a 50/50 ball tap giving them a much better outcome than 20 clearances to 1 as was the case in the second half of this game.
Knoll has a long, long way to go but if he is to be given a steep lesson, that's next week against Gawn.

Watched the replay this morning.
We gave up 3 or 4 goals by dropping marks down back that Smith, Richards & Grundy swallowed each & every time. We can improve there with time.

We gave up 3 or 4 goals by getting caught with the ball or a bad kick out of deep defence. We can improve there with time.

We gave up 4 to 6 of our own potential goals by missing gettable goals from in front & by choosing to kick bananas, hooks around the body, or being selfish instead of giving off to someone in a better position.

We really need a big bodied ruckman in the middle to take 80% of the contests & then become an extra big body around the contest. Right now we just have young McLean who can be a midfielder but not a competitive enough ruckman & if he fails to impact as a midfielder when the ball is on the ground, then we are better to go with a big bull who can have the opposition ruckman at least thinking twice where his opponent's knees are going to end up.

Time to play Knoll just for the contest. He will get beaten by Gawn but it will give him a reference point for where he needs to get to next season. It will also give the midfielders a better chance of a 50/50 ball tap giving them a much better outcome than 20 clearances to 1 as was the case in the second half of this game.
Knoll has a long, long way to go but if he is to be given a steep lesson, that's next week against Gawn.

If it’s all about 2020 then knoll surely plays

Is Cameron fit?

Parker was down, so what, he’s had a good year.

Really liked Clarke’s game. Not perfect, dumb 50, but his hands were clean and decision making was fast and the result was there were none of those terrible turnovers.

Rampe laboured all day, was a thankless job and unglamorous but he was probably our best.

We have a very young list and lots of injuries. We’ve all been terribly spoilt over the last two decades. The world isn’t ending just because we’re not making finals. We’ll be better next year and even better the year after that.

In the meantime, enjoy watching some young stars in their infancy and not having to worry about the result!
Great post, agree entirely :thumbsu:

Still dont like Clarke his poor kicking, his poor handballing, his poor decision making, his lack of composure at times. If we improve next year and he keeps getting games he may well become the supporters biggest punching bag.

I thought Clarke had a good game. Maybe it's only me but I can see a lot of upside with him.

Looking at McLean....do we have a big bodied mid right under our noses? Sier would be gettable presumably and his name has popped up here a few times. I think he is valued at Collingwood. I don’t think we are getting any big fishies, I feel like it’s going to be players who are second tier potential guns who we bring in.

Buddy playing home for his 300 game would be great, this year even better as we farewell a few and go out on a good note

But I’d take missing that for getting his body right and maximising his next three years

Looking at McLean....do we have a big bodied mid right under our noses? Sier would be gettable presumably and his name has popped up here a few times. I think he is valued at Collingwood. I don’t think we are getting any big fishies, I feel like it’s going to be players who are second tier potential guns who we bring in.

McLean topped our clearances last week and is surprisingly good below his knees.

Buddy playing home for his 300 game would be great, this year even better as we farewell a few and go out on a good note

But I’d take missing that for getting his body right and maximising his next three years

Am sure the big bloke is very keen to play. Would play him on limited minutes, noting that Macca and KJ will likely be on limited game time as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt Knoll is in 2020 plans either.

That was quick! We only hired him two months ago. I assume he is the Darcy replacement. Obvoiusly much more in the Naismith ruck goliath mould whereas H-Mac is more your Grundy style ruckman/sixth midfielder. I'm definitely on the McLean train - gets the ball, knows how to use it, loves a contest.

Reaching for the positives -
- It was the second closest game yesterday. :thumbsu:
- Pretty confident Bell will soon be better known for his footy than his dance moves.
- I'm not too proud to pull out the old 'late season tired kids' excuse. Or 'at least we're not North or the Bombers.'

I don't want to bury Aliir for one bad game but I think he has a lot of work to do to still be a first or second defender. He's bloody brilliant as a third tall intercept defender and then rebounding the ball back out. Still dubious as a body on body KPD.

I don't want to bury Aliir for one bad game but I think he has a lot of work to do to still be a first or second defender. He's bloody brilliant as a third tall intercept defender and then rebounding the ball back out. Still dubious as a body on body KPD.

In fairness, the umpires established very early on that we weren't allowed to touch them. How the **** can you defend in those circumstances?

why? didnt say i thought it

was surprised by the comment knolls no hope
I thought you meant no players were worthy. Apologies.

I haven't seen Knoll play but at this stage we're getting trounced in the ruck so I don't see how we could do any worse throwing him in as a big body to at least compete. Not to say McLean hasn't had a red hot go.

In fairness, the umpires established very early on that we weren't allowed to touch them. How the **** can you defend in those circumstances?
It was more him dropping those marks playing body on body with his opponent. I guess I'm used to Reg gobbling those up on a regular basis.

Aliir may well be a star for us but my point was I think we still need a genuine HB and FB with Aliir third tall and Rampe being an actual rebounding back pocket. Aliir is best playing loose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back