Autopsy 47 point loss vs Port Adelaide

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Only Australia winning the Ashes can save this awful season for me... and the NFL (yeah I know its rigged these days, thanks Goodell) season is starting up soon...
See, up until this weekend I've still enjoyed watching the games because the kids have been competitive but they looked a shambles against Port. Plus the fact I can't stand Port.

It was more him dropping those marks playing body on body with his opponent. I guess I'm used to Reg gobbling those up on a regular basis.

Aliir may well be a star for us but my point was I think we still need a genuine HB and FB with Aliir third tall and Rampe being an actual rebounding back pocket. Aliir is best playing loose.

Was probably scared he'd be pinned if he marked it for illegally using two hands to catch a ball.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Was probably scared he'd be pinned if he marked it for illegally using two hands to catch a ball.
Umpiring was ridiculously lopsided I'll give you that. Aliir did everything right at first to get himself in a position to mark it but just kept spilling the pill. Maybe it was the greasy conditions.

Umpiring was fine. Port were first to the ball. We give away a lot of soft free kicks.

The Bombers game and the Giants game we were on the wrong end of some poor decisions. However, this week there weren’t any decisions that impacted the game.

The umpiring was horse-s**t.

We gave away a lot of soft free kicks because that's exactly what they were - soft! Pulling frees out of their perfumed arse-holes!

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Poor umpiring didn't influence the result, but it certainly influenced the margin.

You could argue that most of the free kicks to Port in the third quarter were there, even if there were some soft ones. But there were at least a couple where our blokes were physically thrown out of contests without the ball and one has to ask, yet again, how is it that they were missed and why is it, once again, that that perceived imbalance works in favour of the club to which we are opposed?

Poor umpiring didn't influence the result, but it certainly influenced the margin.

You could argue that most of the free kicks to Port in the third quarter were there, even if there were some soft ones. But there were at least a couple where our blokes were physically thrown out of contests without the ball and one has to ask, yet again, how is it that they were missed and why is it, once again, that that perceived imbalance works in favour of the club to which we are opposed?

I think mostly we give away the frees against us, but I agree, seems we never get a lot of them back and then end up miles behind

need to invite the umps to training/dinner/harbour cruise

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
One thing that stood out for me in this game, and I usually like to watch a second time before I unload on a player but I'm not going to this time, was Ronke's missed tackles. Just so frustrating to see a player so easily brushed aside.

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Man times have changed when you compare Richmond vs us 3 years ago. On the bright side, Brisbane and Richmond showed that it doesn't take much to rocket up the ladder in recent years. Just need decent management. Brisbane got underrated players in Cameron and Neale and they ended up being great for them. Need to find our JPK again.

Man times have changed when you compare Richmond vs us 3 years ago. On the bright side, Brisbane and Richmond showed that it doesn't take much to rocket up the ladder in recent years. Just need decent management. Brisbane got underrated players in Cameron and Neale and they ended up being great for them. Need to find our JPK again.

We won’t be so lucky. We have The Worst List Ever!

Neale underrated? In what universe?

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Really disappointed no one was here for this one. Was pretty chuffed with myself. I guess I’ll see myself out.

Post reads: what about me! It isn’t fair...

Went over my head the first time. I rewarded the clever effort with a like.

Post reads: what about me! It isn’t fair...

Went over my head the first time. I rewarded the clever effort with a like.

Ayyyy I see what you did there.

I'd reciprocate that very clever effort with another very clever effort but I'm not sure Shannon Noll's catalogue runs that deep.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Negatives

1. I was horrified to see what our defence has become. Aliir can't defend one on one. LLoyd can't hit a short pass. Mills seems to have lost his confidence (again) and Jones still has no peripheral vision, no spatial awareness and is completely predictable. FFS at least Melican could often hold his ground in a one on one.

2. Why do we spend the entire game slipping over ?

3. Seriously umps ? 26 to 11 in free kicks is a little too obvious, though some our our more perfidious fans claim there's no bias.

4. Forward pressure. Where has it gone ?

5. When under pressure tap it on rather than taking possession. How hard is that ?

6. We have a seriously inexperienced list.

7. Our goal kicking was shite

Positives

1. There were a few clever pieces of play

2. The game style is fast and attacking

3. We could be much better with a ruckman and even better with another big-bodied mid

4. Hope Nick Smith is back next year. We miss Grundy and Macca

5. I'm hoping we can win one more before year's end

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Statistically both their 2017s were very similar, yeah.

Heeney seemed to have a bit more about him this year, though, just a feeling.
Agree. Unfortunately Mills has regressed after injury in 2018. He started to show improvement mid year but it's gone again. Heeney improves every year but needs better players around him to really shine.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Umpiring was ridiculously lopsided I'll give you that. Aliir did everything right at first to get himself in a position to mark it but just kept spilling the pill. Maybe it was the greasy conditions.
As an intercept mark he needed to return more than one mark for a whole game. Pretty poor game by his standards.

I'd reciprocate that very clever effort with another very clever effort but I'm not sure Shannon Noll's catalogue runs that deep.

For which we can be grateful.

J_Moore

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Agree. Unfortunately Mills has regressed after injury in 2018. He started to show improvement mid year but it's gone again. Heeney improves every year but needs better players around him to really shine.

I think Mills has been really solid this year. I don’t know if I’d say he regressed. Just hasn’t made a huge step up from 2017.

Back