Player Watch #7: Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

this was his best. Hit Lynch in the goal square.
Keep an eye on Bakes. He's fast approaching elite territory.

View attachment 1120257

My question is how the hell does a player of this ability only get through as a rookie pick? This bloke is ridiculously good.

Outrageous. He's so clean with it in tight spaces and makes the right decision under pressure more than almost anyone else. And he's always there. Fact he's good on both sides with hand and foot gives him an edge.

He’s becoming one of my favourite players, I love watching him. Love his attack on the contest.

First full game as a mid - BOG, 33 disposals, 16 contested possessions, 8 clearances with our injuries, against GWS's midfield and Dusty playing forward a fair chunk of the game.

If he doesn't become a permanent part of our midfield rotation then something's wrong.

Laid 6 tackles too, he’s becoming a well rounded player

First full game as a mid - BOG, 33 disposals, 16 contested possessions, 8 clearances with our injuries, against GWS's midfield and Dusty playing forward a fair chunk of the game.

If he doesn't become a permanent part of our midfield rotation then something's wrong.
plus 6 tackles and a lot of hassling. love what he does when he doesn't have the ball. has a big engine and breakaway speed. real find as a mid.

My question is how the hell does a player of this ability only get through as a rookie pick? This bloke is ridiculously good.
Exactly. He seems to have thrived under the Richmond/Hardwick system and development. It's his fundamental skills that hold him in good stead. Clean, virtually fumble free, quick and accurate decision making and tough as teak to name a few. Can also slot goals given the opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely more edwards / long term prestia.

RCD looks more cotchin like
I reckon Dow looks very Cotchin like. Has his crazy burst through the pack with a clean pick up and neatly distributes it without changing motion ability. So many Cotchins.

I reckon Dow looks very Cotchin like. Has his crazy burst through the pack with a clean pick up and neatly distributes it without changing motion ability. So many Cotchins.
Cotchins to the left
Cotchin to the right.
Cotchins up for the fight.

Laid 6 tackles too

That's just the ones that stuck long enough to cause a stoppage or turnover (and therefore be recorded as a tackle stat), he attempted probably close to 20 and they almost all applied very worthwhile pressure.

Absolute monster of a game, happy to be corrected, but I can't say I recall any better midfield debut than that one, Richmond or otherwise.

struts around like a young Ben Cousins

Moves and plays like him as well, but a much better kick both technique wise, and the depth of his kicking is better as well

Good comparison, definitely similarities.

Look out football world if he ends up developing arms and torso that are comparable to Cousins'!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back