Player Watch #7: Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 18 Rookie Draft:)

1511741109637_GUK1BJ2KL.1-1.jpg

Baker played a big role in his first year at Subiaco.Picture: Daniel Wilkins

Subiaco premiership coach Jarrad Schofield says his teenage small forward “terrier” Liam Baker has all the attributes to play AFL football and urged both WA clubs to look closely at the 19-year-old in today’s rookie draft.

Schofield said Baker’s efforts in big games against quality opponents should give clubs confidence he would stand up at the next level.

Baker played 13 games and kicked 19 goals for the Lions in 2017 after switching from West Perth.

“He has only been at our club for a short time but what he has shown in that time is his commitment and his want to improve his game,” Schofield said.

He believed that Baker, South Fremantle’s Sandover medallist Haiden Schloithe and Claremont’s 19-year-old league best-and-fairest winner Bailey Banfield should be near the top of the selection order among WA players today.

“The only thing that clubs may be concerned about is Liam’s stature, but he is a little terrier who can play that small forward half-forward role, which he did quite well for us,” Schofield said.

“He is one of the guys who I would expect the WA clubs should be looking at.

“I think he has shown enough to indicate he can play at the highest level. He was close to getting drafted last year and he has improved again and shown that he can play league footy.”

1511741109637_GUK1BJ2T6.1-0.jpg

Bailey Banfield is another with rookie claims.Picture: Trevor Collens
Baker laid 19 tackles in three finals with the Lions and kicked three goals against South Fremantle in the preliminary final.

“I am confident he is good enough to go. I just hope he doesn’t have to wait another 12 months for it to happen,” Schofield said.

Good luck to the kid.
But far out, did we really need another small forward? Weve got enough to field 2 AFL sides.
Pretty obvious this is our game plan now. Load up on fast smalls

Yeh I get that, but theres only so many you can play at a time. We dont need THAT much depth of small forwards.
Maybe trying to replicate the game plan at VFL level? That way it's easier to learn game plan & structures

Liam BAKER
2017 WAFL (Subiaco)

Totals
  • 13 games
  • 19 goals
  • 12 behinds
  • 7 times in best players list

Averages
  • 8.8 kicks
  • 7.2 handballs
  • 16.0 disposals
  • 2.7 marks
  • 3.6 tackles
  • 3.0 inside 50s
  • 0.2 rebound 50s
  • 0.8 frees for
  • 1.6 frees against
  • 69.00 Dream Team points

Good luck to the kid.
But far out, did we really need another small forward? Weve got enough to field 2 AFL sides.

I think they are trying to go with what won the premiership this year... Hang on that was us so it wasn't a dream:D

Good luck to the kid.

I reckon a few could use an upgrade (Butler, Castagna), and a few might get moved up the ground (Rioli, Higgins). Reckon we're also looking for a potential rebounding small to take over from Houli.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So for years we ignored tackling now we are obsessed with it.

Well, if we're going to be obsessed with something, tackling isn't a bad start. Certainly worked for our overall game style. Big lumbering blokes seem to be a luxury teams can't afford now. Perhaps we are ahead of the curve in this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back