World Cup 48 teams for the 2026 World Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

England are favourites for 2030 apparently. I hope we don’t dilute it though by letting the bloody celts in too

Does that mean we're gonna see England v Argentina for the hosting rights in 2030 (I expect Argentina/Uruguay is going to be heavily pushed to get 2030).

48 teams? Is this to make sure Italy qualify?

Those planning to go in 2026 better hope Trump isn't re-elected - no way he lets all those football fans into the USA.

Just for the record, unless Amendment 22 gets... amended, Trump is 100% not going to be president in 2026, since the maximum length of a US president is 2 terms (8 years, so 2024 is his final year).

Does that mean we're gonna see England v Argentina for the hosting rights in 2030 (I expect Argentina/Uruguay is going to be heavily pushed to get 2030).

Just for the record, unless Amendment 22 gets... amended, Trump is 100% not going to be president in 2026, since the maximum length of a US president is 2 terms (8 years, so 2024 is his final year).
Don't let facts get in the way of cheap likes

Pretty sure that the main bids in 2030 will be:

Argentina/Uruguay/Paraguay
China/Korea/Japan
England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland
Switzerland/Austria/Hungary/Czech Republic/Slovakia

China and Japan collaborating directly on anything? I can't see it but things can change in 12 years I suppose. Too much historical enmity. Also unlike Japan and Korea they are not nominal political allies.

Even now, I cannot recall Chinese players going to Japan, or vice versa.

Not sure FIFA has approved cross-Confederation bids.

Could go with AUS/Indonesia/Malaysia/Singapore/Thailand maybe (or is that too many countries)?

There's a fair amount of interest in the game in that region, that much I know. Lots of untapped potential there.

Plus Australia, Singapore, Malaysia and even Indonesia/Thailand (given their size) should have the combined financial clout to sway FIFA.

With this format, the group stage might as well be a qualifying round for the knockout world cup.

Interesting perspective, to which I agree.

All I can see a 48-team WC doing is diluting the quality of the competition further and having people take it less seriously as your football/soccer/whatever showpiece. Sure, you'll get more Cinderella stories like Costa Rica making the QF's, but you'll see many more farcical results.

Could go with AUS/Indonesia/Malaysia/Singapore/Thailand maybe (or is that too many countries)?

There's a fair amount of interest in the game in that region, that much I know. Lots of untapped potential there.

Plus Australia, Singapore, Malaysia and even Indonesia/Thailand (given their size) should have the combined financial clout to sway FIFA.
Australia, Tasmania and Phillip Island

Remove this Banner Ad

Back